It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Burn a Bush'? Michelle Obama invites rapper Common to a poetry reading

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
...it has everything to do with double standards and the lowering of standards we already have.

What double standards?
What standards do we already have? See my previous post for some past musical guests.

When has it been acceptable to have a rapper in the white house (or any other institute) rap about killing police officers?

What makes you think he's going to do that? And the style of song is really irrelevant, isn't it?

Rappers are often conflated with the content of their material in a way other artists aren't because the narratives almost always take place in first person as part of an emcees' effort to create a literary persona. That's part of why William Shakespeare has never been accused of endorsing rape or domestic violence. Mix that with a black president whose spent the last few years facing accusations of covert black militancy from Republicans, and you've got yourself a faux-scandal.

Source

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
How is this different from G.W. Bush inviting Ozzy Osbourne to the WH? Especially after all the controversy he stirred up with his lyrics to "Suicide Solution".

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I think a misconception here might be that the author of the article wasnt using that song to show the one he was going to be reading but rather an example to prove his point. I've never been a fan of common but I know he does have a large following. However not the group of people you think, it's mostly girls. this song is in the rarity for him he's more of an actor and I view him more long the lines of usher then big L.

Michelle Obama could be a fan of this guy but that doesn't mean she is aware of these lyrics, and even if she was there's nothing wrong with them. He's an artist and he's trying to portray how he feels. When eminem talks about killing his wife he didn't actually do it but he's speaking from the heart cuz that how he feels after what she put him through. I think most here have thought master things then that for bush. Most people don't know or care bout Walt whitman, if you can tell me someone who has Whitman poetry in audio form on their ipod please be my guest.

P.s. big L is one of the greatest rappers/freestyle of all time anyone interested in rap and doesn't know the name should do themselves a favor and look him up, you won't regret it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

I read the lyrics about burn a bush. So, I'm a poet, if I use some violent sarcasm about Obama, would you consider it art? Doubt it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Punisher75
For me anyway, the biggest complaint I have is like 4 months ago Obama called for a turning down of hateful rhetoric. Apparently his wife did not get the message.

What you guys aren't getting is that this guy speaks for a lot of people in this country.

No, what we're getting is that in spite of some previous denials, you can find no wrong with anything obama does and will defend obama at all costs - even on something as obviously dumb as this.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
I guess it wouldn't be "politically correct" to have a black rapper invited to a poetry contest because his lyrics might offend some.

So, how does being invited to a poetry contest equate to being invited to the White House to perform by the first lady?

Hint: it doesn't ...

Another example of liberals attempting to use "moral equivalency" when none actually exists.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by steven704
reply to post by dolphinfan

this is only a ploy to gain votes from the ' rap/hip hop ' slice in the pie going as low to have what is wrong ' seem ' right.

a large percentage of people don't vote but this could sway a few more.
Don't be suprised if you see obama shooting a basketball next week with the knicks.

edit on 10-5-2011 by steven704 because: (no reason given)

The word for what the obama's are doing is "pandering".

The exact reason obama is now in Texas pandering for hispanic votes while ignoring the request for federal disaster assistance on the wildfires that have been sweeping across th state.

Must be only people who wouldn't listen to this rapper who had their homes burn in Texas. Is it time to pull the "race card" on obama and his supporters? Or are the obama's actions explained by pure political pandering? Either way, not a pretty sight.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Not to mention, the campaign is starting, gotta get out the vote, gotta lasso in as many hip, cool, young, progressive, edgy celebs and stuff. It's all politics. ALL politics. So she's invited a rapper to a poetry night. How can a night of poetry at the white hosue be anything but BORING! Get out the vote. Yeah, vote for the change. Vote anything but DEMs or REPs, that would be a change! But it doesn't make a difference because the country is run by the houses, not the White House! To make the country work again you'd have to flush ALL the democratic and republican scum out of the upper and lower houses, break the chain to the big money and THEN maybe we could make some progress! That would be change I could believe in !!!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Back on topic ...

This article showed up today about police being outraged over inviting the rapper to the White House. It seems the rapper's so-called "lyrics" glorify someone who killed a NJ state trooper and then escaped to cuba.

source

In question: the lyrics to "A Song for Assata," about convicted cop-killer and former Black Panther Assata Shakur.

For New Jersey police, the outrage centers on "A Song for Assata" lyrics like "Your power and pride is beautiful. May God bless your soul."

Shakur, formerly known as Joanne Chesimard, was convicted for the 1973 slaying of Trooper Werner Foerster on the New Jersey Turnpike. She escaped prison in 1979, and is living in asylum in Cuba.

Now THAT'S just the kind of message the White House should be sending out ---- NOT!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Looks to me like this is just one more excuse for those who are enamored with the "Conservative" label to whine about something that isn't really any of their damn business.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
Looks to me like this is just one more excuse for those who are enamored with the "Conservative" label to whine about something that isn't really any of their damn business.

How is what the White House does not the "damn business" of ANY and ALL Americans?

2nd

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Been done before. Bob Dylan has played at the white house and he also wrote a song about black panther George Jackson accused of murdering a prison guard while incarcerated for other crimes. No one raised a fuss over that.

Back in 1939 Bascom Lamar Lunsford played the white house. He penned a song about Jesse James who also happened to be an outlaw and murderer.

Good to see not much has changed.
edit on 11-5-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I get the impression that the reason people are having a problem with Common being invited is because this isn't just some party it is for a group of students. Ozzy wasn't invited to speak to students and nether was Bob Dylan. The article the op linked states that Laura Bush had to cancel her poetry evening because the left-of-center poets protested and threatened to disrupt the event. Let's react to Mrs. Obama with out having to lower our selves to the standards of the left of center poets by threatening to disrupt the event.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

I thought the problem that some had was the content of some of his songs and the message that inviting him to the White house gave not what he was scheduled to do at the White House.

If Will Smith was to talk to some kids at the White House would it cause the same reaction?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Correct...I believe the content is what is concerning to some because of the poetry event being for a group of students and what message he or his presence may give them.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

It definately is pandering and its stupid politics. This will alienate far more voters than it attracts. It won't attract any voters who were already not solidly in the President's camp.

One of the defining moments of Clinton's administration is what they call the "Sister Souljah moment". Clinton came out and castigated some of the negative messages coming out of the hip/hop and rap culture. His popularity went up significantly amongst moderate voters. Did he lose any votes out of his core base because of those statements? No.

What we are seeing is a total pandering to the hard core constituents of the democrat party and it will get harder and harsher until the election. This will be an election totally based on class warfare and racial division. It would appear that Obama understands that he will only get elected if he can generate massive turnout from the core base of minorities, union workers and the poor and he will stir up that pot with abandon for the next year and a half. He is also praying that a republican/independant comes in and splits the other side of the vote and is likely praying to statues of Trump and Paul daily.

His speach yesterday in El Paso is yet another example of total pandering to the Latino voter, castigating Republicans in one sentence while saying that we need to put aside politics in the next and being so loose with the facts that the content of the speach was absolutely comical.

At the end, having this gent come to the White House is divisive, purposefully divisive and thats what we have to look forward to.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I would hope that the message it gives is that freedom of speech includes everything. Even the things we don't like. I think it's a good thing for kids to learn.

Also are they actual kids (12 and under), teens (13 to 18) or young adults. That makes a big difference.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

You make an excellent case for pandering and I say I agree....divisive: causing or tending to cause disagreement or dissension. I see alot of that here on ATS as well.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

I don't like pandering. And I think there are more important things to be teaching a group of students that are coming to a poetry event no matter what age they are. Freedom of Speech is only good when used for good.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

All politics is pandering. Why single out the Obamas when they all do it.

I missed the part in the 1st amendment where it says it can only be used for good. So, who decides what is good and what is bad?

If the "children" attending a poetry reading are above the age of 16 then I say they are old enough to take what they want away from that event. Besides you don't even know what this rapper is going to say at this event. He may keep it all PC. Talk about a case of tossing out the presumption of innocence.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join