It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you say overpopulation doesn't exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Hello, i have started this discussion in order to point out that what a lot of people say or know about overpopulation is wrong.

Now, first things first, i see a lot of threads here that say that the elites are out to get us and kill us because we are too many and say that the elitists have an overpopulation agenda to reduce the human inhabitants of earth to a mear 500.000.000.

Just look at the world's polulation over the course of the last 200 years. It has grown from bellow ~1 Bilion before 1800 to ~7 Bilion in 2009.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this growth is unnatural.

Now you may ask why did the population grow so much so fast.
And now i ask you, what happened just before this growth?

If you haven't guessed, i am talking about the industrial revolution that has increased the production rates of almost every comodity that a human being needs to function and with that growth in production came the inevitable growth in population.

I know that a lot of people will start bashing this thread because some will say i'm with the elites, others will say that i was paid to write this but i can assure you as much as i can that, that is not the case.

I have thought of only two solutions for this problem:
1)Build smaller more compact cities that have high buildings and deep basemants.
2)Move some parts of the population in outer space, on the Moon or another planet or even on space stations.

Now in the ending i will leave you with a website or two to check out and a list of population milestones that were or will come:

World Population reached:

1 billion in 1804
2 billion in 1927, (123 years later)
3 billion in 1960, (33 years later)
4 billion in 1974, (14 year
s later)
5 billion in 1987, (13 years later)
6 billion in 1998, (11 years later)
7 billion in 2009, (11 years later)

Population may reach:

8 billion in 2021, (12 years later)
9 billion in 2035, (14 years later)
10 billion in 2054, (19 years later)
11 billion in 2093, (39 years later)

ldolphin.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 19-4-2011 by AlexIR because: (no reason given)

ADDITION: This topic is not about how many we are, but instead it is intended to prove that this sudden growth of population is unnatural.
edit on 19-4-2011 by AlexIR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

I agree with you completely - I once claimed overpopulation was a cause of a lot of the problems on this planet and got so lambasted! The comments were very emotive and spiteful (and wrong) so I commend you for taking a stand on this issue. It is incredibly important - well done to you, now prepare to reap some flak for it. Rest happy in the knowledge that not everyone on this site is an idiot, and you should also have people here who support your idea.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 3finjo

You can't say that overpopulation is a main cause for a lot of the worlds population. That is a completely different story.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
There's no turning back, the human population at this rate is not sustainable. The amount of resources required to keep this population within an ideal quality of life, in other words, food, clean water, education and shelter. Not possible. The amount of energy required for this feat is certainly not. It would take away too much from the earth and too much from the other non-human inhabitants that share this world with us. I feel sorry for them.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
the planet is overpopulated in certain popular areas for sure but if you do the math against the actual habitable areas on earth against the amount of people, you'lll see that pushing the fact that the planet is over populated is rubbish and propoganda. There is more than plenty of room for everyone, we just need to spread out instead of all trying to cram in the popular areas (cities). think about it?!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Why are people gonna give you flack for this thread?
What is wrong with what you're saying?
I think I read something recently about the entire world's population could fit into texas, or something like that.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
And if resources are managed properly, we have the capacity to support 30 billion easily. We just have to learn to manage our resources better. More efficient ways of doing things. When you look at all the unused land on this planet, and compare it to what is used, you find that there is much more land unused. Over population is not a problem, unless we can't manage our resources, like in our current world. If we can change our ways, we will be just fine.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by riffer841

Well there is enough space for everyone but just think of the resources involved in sustaining 13 bilion people in the near future.

Just think of how many factiories will be built and how much pollution will they do. Not to mention the implementation of GMOs to be able to feed everyone.

And i don't think it could fit in Texas, lets say it can all fit in the US and Canada so that it doesn't get cramped.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Move people to outer space?
How many people do you think would actually agree to that? I guess since you're proposing it, it better be you and other overpopulation fear-mongers that are prepared to move to another planet or the moon.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I agree too. Why do we need an expanding population? As much as science can help, quality of life does go down. Next time you're stuck in traffic are you going to thank all those people for keeping the elite from achieving their goals or are you going to wish those people weren't around?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
with this subject it is only two things i disagree with when it comes to reduction in population.

1) killing people to solve the issue.

2) using it to excuse mass murder.

there are plenty of things we can do without using the problem as an excuse to kill, now i am not saying you are saying we should kill people, but it is the main thing associated with the powers that be methods of solving the problem, from what we hear, and some would argue also see.

i'll leave it at that, i am busy, i have 'unharmful' radiation to breathe, some 'oily' fish to eat with some very tasty GM veg and shall was it all down with some lovely good for your teeth fluriode water. yummy. better than going to mcdonalds.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Well said - it's corporate greed that is having an impact on the environment not the people - there are so very many inventions that could provide clean energy etc but they're being dumbed down by the Elites.

It's the people like 3finjo who commented above and his type who are the idiots not us like he states - too many people walking around with blinkers on and cotton wool in their ears.

link   
reply to post by AlexIR

I posted pretty much the same thing on a similar thread, but I thought my point was relevant enough to copy/paste :p

I'm about as anti-elitist as you can get. Myself and several others are working together on becoming completely self-sufficient. We will easily be able to accomplish this goal by assisting the natural processes around us to produce our own food, water, bio-fuel, electricity, etc. We are very close to our goal and are hardly expending any resources or money to do so. With our modest budgets and man-power, this would be impossible to accomplish in an urban environment. We simply need more space per person if we are to live in harmony with our environment and each other. If all of us were to have 7 kids, we would have effectively destroyed our self-sufficiency by overcrowding our micro-environment.
When your vision of the planet comes to fruition, the entire planet will be nothing but cities covered in skyscrapers designed to supply all the food that is needed to support 14 billion people. To get an idea of how much energy/pollution industrialization on this level would consume/produce check out this article at Environmental Building News.
One more thing, if you think that our resources are in such great supply, then why does it now take a giant dumptruck of ore to obtain as much copper as a miner could have carried out of his mine on the back of a mule 100 years ago? This is just one more example of the many natural resources that would be needed to build the extra infrastructure to support an exponential population growth.
In summary, I have to say that I agree with you that this planet could support far more people than it already does, but who in their right mind would want to live in such a world? The only moral thing to do to stop the world from becoming so disgustingly overcrowded is to educate the masses about the ramifications of over breeding. However, as long as we have so many people like you spouting (however well intentioned) nonsense about overpopulation not being a problem, the only recourse of those in power will be to kill off a $#!+ load of people.
Do a bit more research and ponder this stuff a bit more before inadvertently supporting the elitist agenda by spreading half-truths.

link   
reply to post by AlexIR

Hmm good point, but if all our resources were managed for the benefit of the population rather than by corrupt organisations trying to squeeze every last penny for themselves I'm sure we'd be fine. I like to give the human race a bit more credit and treat it like an adult. We're 'kiddified' at the moment and if you're treated like kids, guess what, you'll live up to that expectation.
The resources are not fairly dealt out at the moment eg The Third World. People are being kept in poverty. It CAN work, just the way we do things now needs to adapt in a fair adult manner. I really think we just need to spread out and develop

link   
reply to post by HarmonicNights

And here it goes..

Well i think a lot of people would wet their pants on the thought of living on the Moon. Don't tell me you haven't tought of that and never thought of how cool it was.

And why am i a fear mongerer? Because i raise awareness of this 'issue'?...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The earth could fit at least 1 trillion people comfortably at a high standard of living. Maybe more. Until then, 'overpopulation' is nonsense.
edit on 19-4-2011 by paeter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by paeter
The earth could fit at least 10 trillion people comfortably at a high standard of living. Maybe more. Until then, 'overpopulation' is nonsense.

You sir, have just said the most idiotic thing I have heard in quite a while. I hope you are kidding. There certainly can't be any literate person that void of reason.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Overpopulation is not nonense.

And i see a lot of you talking about the resources of the planet.

Ok there are enough resources but they will run out and then what?...

But if we stop the war machines that take a lot of money and resources to develop weapons that do nothing only kill and maim then we can say that we can sustain about 20 billion or 30 as another member mentioned above.

But think of this, as population grows the demand for resources grows and resources are exploited faster than they regenerate.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
And if resources are managed properly, we have the capacity to support 30 billion easily. We just have to learn to manage our resources better. More efficient ways of doing things. When you look at all the unused land on this planet, and compare it to what is used, you find that there is much more land unused. Over population is not a problem, unless we can't manage our resources, like in our current world. If we can change our ways, we will be just fine.

That land is being used, just not by humans. What happens when we reach 30 billion? 40 billion? At some point no matter how optimistic you are we are going to run out of resources and billions of people will die. You should be thinking about how to achieve a healthy sustainable population that is in balance with the planet not maximum population.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR
reply to post by HarmonicNights

Don't tell me you haven't tought of that and never thought of how cool it was.

Um...to be completely honest, I haven't thought of living on the moon as 'cool'.

And why am i a fear mongerer? Because i raise awareness of this 'issue'?...

The only solution to overpopulation would be mass murder, so it doesn't help one bit to sensationlize it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join