It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher cites ancient Minoan-era 'computer'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I was skeptical too that this thing would qualify as a computer....if it had no moving parts then it would just be a clever calendar. None the less It would seem my skepticism is unfounded. After reading the article in full I found this line which suggests that it was used to cast a part to build a 'mechanism' that could calculate solar and lunar eclipses:

"The Cretan researcher and university professor told ANA-MPA that after the relief image of a spoked disc on the right side of the matrix was analysed it was established that it served as a cast to build a mechanism that functioned as an analog computer to calculate solar and lunar eclipses. The mechanism was also used as sundial and as an instrument calculating the geographical latitude."

Also as for a difference in the number of minutes in a day.....whos to say that their 'minute' was as long as ours? Perhaps it was slightly shorter.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

That means the days were approximately 0.75 or 48 minutes shorter, if they are for minutes.

That would seem to mean either the rotation of the planet was faster back then, or they miscalculated how long a day is.

Maybe an impact or large Earthquake event slowed the rotation?

The evidence so far discovered about these ancient people, suggests that they were almost obsessively accurate in their maths and counting systems. That would in turn suggest that something happened to the rotation.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lordvander

Is that a Battlestar Galactica quote by any chance? Just curious.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

The difference in the time maybe because they didn't use the solar calendar,like we do.

This method of keeping "star" time might point to the Sothic calendar, a wide-spread Egyptian method of keeping time by tracking the star Sirius instead of the sun. The identical shield pictographs, also on side 1, (left) when connected with lines reveal a pentagram inside a heptagon, perhaps the star Sirius surrounded by the seven planets. This might strongly indicate the Minoan use of a Sothic calendar.

www.diskoftheworld.com...

reply to post by SLAYER69

Very interesting find Slayer.The Minoans were pretty advanced(always according to myths and legends),they were the first to own a "robot".

In the Cretan tales incorporated into Greek mythology, Talos (pronounced /ˈteɪlɒs/; Greek: Τάλως, Talōs) or Talon (/ˈteɪlən/; Greek: Τάλων, Talōn) was a giant man of bronze who protected Europa in Crete from pirates and invaders by circling the island's shores three times daily while guarding it.

Talos

There are many stories about the technology in ancient Crete and there are researchers who are looking for it.There is a story that they have found the tomb of King Minos inside a mountain and that there is some kind of advanced technology(robots,laser traps) that protect him from invaders.Of course none of this was proven,because the department of archeology was never interested in the stories and without their approval noone can dig or make an excavation in the area.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

These are the same people non-believers make fun of for believing in God and riding camels in the desert; yes that is right they possessed computer technology.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Isn't it possible that it's just some hyperactive scientist projecting his imagination into piece of cake?
I see a nice flyswatter here.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Does anyone else find resemblance of this and the flywheel used to build Coral Castle?

2nd line

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
thanks for initiating the thread, OP.
Earlier today I found this in my RSS-feed, from WIRED:

"Ancient Greek Computer Had Surprising Sun Tracker"

The world’s oldest astronomical calculator is famous for having intricate gear systems centuries ahead of their time. But new work shows the Antikythera mechanism used pure geometry, as well as flashy gears to track celestial bodies’ motion through the heavens.

The device, a 2,000-year-old assemblage of gears and wheels that matched 19th century clocks in precision and complexity, was salvaged from a shipwreck off the Greek island of Antikythera in 1901.

source: Wired

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
Very interesting find Slayer. Its all true that we are still missing a big piece to the puzzle of what happened during ancient times. We all can safely say that many Ancient civilizations were probably wiped out by the great natural disasters and the rising of the sea level that caused many cities to be submerged underwater.

Great find

Ummm........Thats because of all that anthropogenic global warming going on back then.........Those bronze age smithies really pumped out the ole Co2 ya know........Melted all the glaciation and flooded the earth.....drowning all that......ancient tech.........That's why we hav'nt found any of their tech......it's all on the bottom of the ocean, buried under bottom muck.

Perhaps we're reading a little too much into what just might be that ages version of modern art.

YouSir

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

These are the same people non-believers make fun of for believing in God and riding camels in the desert; yes that is right they possessed computer technology.

Ummmm.............
:l ol:
.................as you so succinctly state in many a rambling post on anything remotely mid-eastern...............prove it.......

YouSir
edit on 7-4-2011 by YouSir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Thats cool, but old news. Why does it seem like I'm the only individual who believes that in all of human history, what were experiencing now has happened before in past times. The oldest dated object in terms of human history is 600 Million years ago. This is a proven fact, so who knows how far back humans spawned on planet earth.

Source

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Human civilization is in a constant loop!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
We progress to a tipping point, get destroyed in a mass extinction event just to repopulate and do it all over again.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Moravec

That is exactly what I thought!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by DonnaLynn
How fantastic! This just further instills the thought that we were technologically advanced before and some major catastrophe occurred which wiped the knowledge out. Could it have been a political uprising? That is what I believe.

I'm pretty sure that as time goes on they will find more not necessarily King Tuts I-pod or the ancients DVD/Blue-ray collection but that in fact Ancient man had it going a lot more than we give them credit for.

Dont forget the Dropa Stones ! Slayert69 !

but then again there alot of Arguments of the These Granite Stone Disk that are have large traces of Cobalt !?

No Stones ( Lost Stolen Missing all 716 of them ?? ) no descendant of these people of the Dropa Tribe that made them as it was claimed there are Still Little People on the Mountain yet no sign of them ?
www.badarchaeology.net...

Its that Dvd Blue-ray disk LOL ! ohh (Dropa Stones)

The Mystery of the Dropa Stones, page 1
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Capacitance Electronic Disc
en.wikipedia.org...

I wonder if anyone has tried those dropa disk's into video
who knows where's the blind guy from the movie Contact when you need him !

Just throwing it in there

edit on 7-4-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Someone rebuild a working version out of Legos and also predicted an eclipse for someday in 2024

www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-4-2011 by Dynamitrios because: vid embedding trouble

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Great stuff.... looks very similar to the Mayan Calendar!!

Yeh.... i believe Ancient Civilisations were capable of a lot more and mayber were wiped out by some Evil Dwellers of the Ancient kind.... possible Alien kind!!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ResearchMan

You arent the only one who feels this may have happened before.... maybe on Mars!!

If we keep going Nuclear, then it could happen again....

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Yet another piece of evidence for the Ancient Alien Theory

I'm loving it!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
OK I found a larger image..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/30c7583e2fe5.jpg[/atsimg]
Researcher cites ancient Minoan-era 'computer'

"While searching in the Archaeological Museum of Iraklion for Minoan Age findings with astronomical images on them we came across a stone-made matrix unearthed in the region of Paleokastro, Sitia. In the past, archaeologists had expressed the view that the carved symbols on its surface are related with the Sun and the Moon," Tsikritsis said.

That's the Sun Wheel!

A symbol present in many ancient pagan cultures, at least in Europe to pre-colonial America... That's amazing!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join