It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi new here and would like to know what u think of stem cells?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hello I would like to know how u feel about stem cell research.
I have 2 children who could benefit from the advances they have made.I live in the Us,they say killing babies is wrong,but if they do it anywho why cant my kids who weren't aborted use the stemcells they could provide.I should give a lil background,sorry I have 4 children one of whom suffers form Epilepsy since he was 2,(have ya ever seen a 2 yr old have a granmal seizure)they have a way to reduce and possably stop it, if I can go to the Virgin Islands , and pay 30 grand for the first treatment and 20 grand for the second.They have now told me he can have an implant (wooohoo he can be a cyborg with a chip and all) it could stop the seizures once they start by the wave of a magnet.How can I tell my son he can be a cyborg but not healed cuz we live in the wrong part of the world.The other son I have is autistic he is wonderful as all the rest and I have no need to explain to him that he can never communicate as others cuz he could care less,so as I said what do ATS members think?

edit on 4-4-2011 by Playto76 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2011 by Playto76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Playto76

A good question. Would we need to get consent from the woman who has had the abortion? Or would you suggest that as she was discarding the baby anyway, that decision should be removed from them?

Also, if you were to have a still born child, would you be willing for it to be used in stem cell research?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I think the obsession with fetal stem cells is pointless. They've been able to make (or extract) stem cells from fat out of your own body a few different ways, if I recall correctly, etc.

So, it's a non-issue. Develop and refine the technologies so anyone can have their own stem cells as needed - other members, please clarify if I've missed something, but I believe these have been every bit as handy as fetal stem cells. No need to get caught up in the dispute in the first place.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
As I understand it, it's a moot point. Stem cells can be had from sources other than embryos. Originally that was not the case, but advances in technology have made this possible. Further, the original series of stem cells is still being researched.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

well the doc has stated that they have the recources but not the permission to use stem cells.Ok I admit that the women who have stillborn children should not have to face this delima but those who say they dont want the children they gave up thier rights and all should be able to use the tissue that could be provided.Sorry but for me it's a win loose situation as I couldn't but who am I to tell others what to do,are we not creatures of freedom?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Thanks I appriciate the info so if we gotta fight for something cant we do it for our children,nm for everyone lol!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

If I had aborted a thing in the minds of those who would would you care if it was you ????What happens to those discarded?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Good luck with the kids, and I hope it goes well. There should be options out there to look into...I personally don't agree with abortion and simply can't justify using the after-effects when there are other viable options out there.

I kind of feel like it's grave-robbing, of a sort, if that makes any sense - and I don't dig in graveyards.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I guess they are disposed of in some manner, but no doubt a lot are used for medical research.

Best wishes for your families future and I really hope there is a medical breakthrough for your children. Peace.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I am a retired nurse and have taken care of people that had a stem
cell transplant to cure Leukemia. The closer the donor is related
to the person having the transplant the better. The donor has stem
cells extracted to give, say his brother or sister. It doesn't come
from embryos and those days I believe are just about over as now
there is a national data base for donors and a system for matching.
I have heard that umbilical cords are being used in research and I think
thats fine - we don't need those after we are born. As for myself
I am happy with the results of stem cell research (at least the part
that I know about) and I haven't heard anything negative from other
sources. I am in the US so I cannot say with any verification what
stem cell research is like in other countries.

edit on 4-4-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I see you are in the US - has a Dr. told you one or both of your children
are candidates for stem cell transplants? If so they will guide you thru the process.
If a Dr. has not mentioned this it may be their conditions would not be helped by a transplant. Don't
be shy in asking the children's doctors about alternatives. I wish the best for you and your children.

Welcome to ATS!
edit on 4-4-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Embryonic stem cell research is the modern equivalent of snake oil; it promises the world but delivers nothing. Scientists have had much more success with adult stem cell research which comes with a lot less ethical baggage.

The state of California thumbed their noses at the Bush administration by setting aside $3 billion to fund embryonic stem cell research in their state. After five years of fruitless research, they were forced to admit failure and quietly shifted their funds to adult stem cell research.

BTW, welcome to ATS and have a flag on me.

If you collect enough flags for posting good content, you can enjoy ATS ad free.
edit on 4/4/11 by FortAnthem because:

top topics

join