It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your teenager may need to ride in a booster seat.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Why 12 years old instead of a weight limit? I mean if this really is an action in the interest of my child will their being 12 keep them in there seat more than them weighing say 100 lbs?

It is the age limit that makes me think this is simply a potential method for towns to drum up revenue from tickets.

Last I checked, physics worked on mass not age.

edit to add star for you
edit on 21-3-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I saw a video on youtube a while back about a four year old who almost died because he was in a car seat! He was in a roll wreck in which the SUV caught on fire. They couldn't get the kid out of the five point harness. They finaly were able to cut the straps and get him out, just seconds before the car exploded. It makes you wonder how many kids die because of car seats? Sorry, but 1,000 lives isn't enough to justify this.

My mom was 4'11" I wonder how she would have felt, having to be in a car seat.
edit on 21-3-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is already law in Australia. They saw a report from Sweden and my kids have to be in a booster until 7yo or reached a height and not be in front seat until 11yo.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lavenlaar

Any child under 7 has to be in a booster seat or "properly fitted restraint", so as long as the seatbelt fits securely around the child safely, not across the neck for example, then thats ok.
All children under 4 years old have to sit in the back of the car.
Information from the RACV road safety law and standards on child restraints. See edit below.....
edit on 21-3-2011 by sunsetatdawn because: tried to link source but too stupid

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Sad,Sad,Sad world. Horrible to be 5 y/o+ these day's. I think I was 7 or 8 years old the first time I went on a roller coaster(benefits of being tall muhahaha).

I am going to have to send a copy of that article to a couple people I know that would be "required" to wear a booster seat even as an adult..lol.
edit on 22-3-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

I've seen a few short cops driving around my area, some you can't even see their heads over the back of the seat. I wonder, if the NTSB keeps boosting the numbers every few years, how long it will be before we see those short cops cruising around in booster seats.

I think, at that point, enforcement of these silly laws might end.

It may be that the government is trying to get the kids for the future. By pushing back their eligibility for getting out of those booster seats every time they get close to meeting the requirements, they are getting them ready for Social Security when they raise the retirement age every few years just before anybody gets old enough to collect.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
When I was a kid all we had for safety in the back seat was a length of rope tied between the doors to hang on to.

This is getting bad. Apparently this big push for boosters is all about getting the seat belt positioned properly.

Perhaps its time to redesign the seat belts to account for greater adjustment capability. This is ridiculous.

What's next? Breast feeding tweens sitting it booster seats because the govt now says that its best for you.

Enough of the nanny antics. Get back to the drawing board. If they can mandate the LATCH system in new vehicles certainly they can tweak the seat belt design or simply the seat design too.

OOOF!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is an unstoppable wave. You will comply. You will give in and you will do what you are told or you will be imprisoned or ruined. You will eat what you are told to eat, you will work where you are told to work, you will drive what you are told to drive, you will wear what you are told to wear.

Hell, the principal of our school told us that if a 10 year old throws toss a piece of mulch 2 feet while sitting on the ground, with no ill intention, and it hits the back of a teachers foot that they will call the police and have the child arrested for assault and he was absolutely serious.

We live in a prison, just because Australia, the UK, and Finland live in a prison and like it doesn't mean we have to.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Every one needs to wright the car company's and tell them to get off there a$$ and build a safer car for your kids.

If there is a push by the people that buy the cars they might make changes that help with all of this.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
saftey is getting so crazy that soon people who walk to work or school will be made to strap cushions to their foreheads, just in case they trip up or bump into somebody.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
And to quote my 11 year:

"Oh, heck no, is that really the law. Just because some overly protective parents want to punish their retarded (not my wording and yes I'll address that) kids who don't know how to sit in a seat, why do I have sit in a booster seat. That's not really the law is it? That's soooo not fair."

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
thanks for this. made me laugh

top topics

<< 1   >>

join