It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denver radiation levels going up right now

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
The OP spotted the same thing i did when i looked at that page, Denver does have a significantly higher reading than other cities.
I wondered the same thing myself. I don't believe it's connected to Japan in any way, but reflects a different causation.

Can anybody explain why? It's higher, yes, but does that automatically mean that the background radiation is higher? I'm not so sure. Again, Denver gets "conspiracy" attention for a whole host of reasons, this is a very good question.

s+f OP.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

It's been explained a couple times, but the levels at Denver are slightly higher because of the altitude. The readings are way below dangerous levels, and not abnormal at all.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
www.radiationnetwork.com...

A better question is why they deployed two more censors at Denver over past two days. If they were going to try to detect radiation more accurately in the West why not deploy the new censors in places not previously covered?

I'm seeing 77 at Denver. All day yesterday 56 was highest and 24 the lowest I recorded. But I can't watch it every minute so I may have missed a spike.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Could the mountains nearby be slowing down the dissipation of natural radiation? I've noticed it's always reading higher there than other places.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Yes. It automatically means radiation counts will be higher.
The atmosphere absorbs cosmic rays. The higher you are the less atmosphere. The less atmosphere the more cosmic radiation.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by utsaME

I'm guessing we will be seeing many more sensors added in the near future. The website has grown increasingly popular due to this nuclear mess in Japan. The website mentions that it is trying to obtain sensor readings from one of their members in Japan, but has not yet got a response.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by elmrich

It is the altitude. I'm reading my textbook right now. Apparently, if you live at altitude you are exposed to more cosmic radiation. Denver is actually the example given. It states that citizens receive the yearly dose a nuclear engineer would be expected to receive. Makes you think about frequent air travel a different way.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Wow ok, i just learned something new

Denver is at: 1609 m above sea level

Johannesburg is at: At 1807 m above sea level

I'm the king of the castle!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by utsaME

Not really. I got 4,500 rads over a couple of months about thirty years ago. I wouldn't recommend it but it saved my life.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm glad to hear that it worked.

What do they use as shielding on the shuttle or space station? Wasn't there a cosmonaut that was up there for 18 months?

I had a small level of poisoning do to DU rounds in the Marines. It's not fun, you're right.

Denver just went 74, 79, 56 in three minutes while the plant right next read solid 18 so I would say it's just local.

My advice to everyone is calm down. Get worried when West Coast starts climbing quickly into the hundreds.
edit on 3/18/2011 by utsaME because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/18/2011 by utsaME because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Well i live just west of Denver and I am not too worried. I know there is the Colorado Plateau that has Uanium deposits just south west of here and they tend to give off small amounts of radiation. Also its been snowing here this evening on the Western part of the area and into the mountains. Not sure if that really makes a difference, but i do know that snow is formed around a nucleus which can be made up just about anything. Like someone mentioned earlier, Researchers in Siberia have found Plutonium in the now particles.

The Altitude...makes sense also. I would be curious to see some reading from higher elevations. Denver is 3000-5500 feet on the Western part. But its not too high compared to many of the 13,000 peaks within 100 miles of Denver, OR much greater all the great peaks of the Himilayas. I also know there are often times observatory on some peaks so i am sure there are some records taken.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 12345lonestar

Seems to support the higher readings for Denver.

www.cathaypacific.com...

Cosmic Radiation
There are many different types of radiation which forms a natural part of the environment in which we live. Natural background radiation can be divided into two sources: cosmic and terrestrial (earth-based). With air flight there is a reduction of exposure to radiation from terrestrial sources and an increase in exposure to cosmic radiation.

What is cosmic radiation?
Cosmic radiation is a naturally occurring form of ionising radiation that arises from outside the earth. It has two components, solar radiation from the sun and galactic radiation from outside the solar system.

# Altitude: the earth’s atmosphere substantially shields the earth from cosmic radiation. At higher altitudes this shielding effect decreases, leading to higher levels of cosmic radiation.
# Geographic Latitude: the earth’s magnetic field deflects many cosmic radiation particles. This shielding is most effective at the equator and decreases at higher latitudes, essentially disappearing at the poles. As a result, there is approximately a doubling of cosmic radiation exposure from the equator to the magnetic poles.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Naa, that wouldn't have anything to do with Rocky Flats would it? Naa, must be the radiation from Japan

But in the interest of getting as many morons off the internet as I can...

RUN EVERYONE THE END IS NIGH! We are all going to die because of the radiation coming out of a failing plant halfway around the world, get your Bug Out Bags and run! Don't look back, don't come back either because if you do all you will find is mutated radioactive zombies everywhere that will eat your brains! RUN! OMG is that a mutated radioactive zombie at my door now!? OH NOES!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This thread on RADIATION LEVELS specific levels thread has been going for a couple days. There are quite a few reading for Denver. I've seen the northern Denver location as high as 81, but usually around 55 or so.

"Alert level" is 130+

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I have been watching the radiation network for many days. And noticed that Denver was higher than most of the country from the get go. No change what-so-ever. In fact, the first time I clicked on the map it was 69.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

What do you mean by not scare everyone?

Everyone wants to know the truth!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
After all the corned beef, cabbage and green libations from yesterday, I'm rather surprised the radiation levels aren't spiking in every major urban center in North America. Good God . . . my pants are a 'no fly' zone today!!!!!!

Seriously, though . . . there is so much fear mongering, rumour, false claims and speculation going on with all this radiation stuff right now, it's hard to sort it all out.

I'm just going to leave the dog outside all day and when the sun sets, if the poor bugger is glowing like a night light, I'll get out the duct tape and barricade myself in.

The reality is, if radiation becomes an issue, what the heck are we going to be able to do about it anyway except wait 30 years and watch our body parts start to fall off?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

that depends whose alive 30 years from now.....

that would be like winning lotto with everything going on right now

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by GoalPoster

that depends whose alive 30 years from now.....

that would be like winning lotto with everything going on right now

No doubt . . . I look at the kids of today and wonder what'll be left for them both in terms of good old Mother Earth, and in terms of economic stability.

Add to that the spectre of caring for an elderly populus fraught with radiation-related disorders and it doesn't make a rosey picture.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Like I said, watch radiation network and search on hear for new threads. If it spikes into the hundreds on Radiation Network worry. And just in case RN is compromised and showing false readings by some NWO or TPTB?
Someone on here would post that there readings aren't the same as those reported and then you can worry. But either way I think we should all just calm down and watch.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join