It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun Went Dark? (UPDATED: Possible Eclipse)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
***Warning: He says the "S" word one time.***

I'm not sure if the sun really went dark, but what could have caused this phenomena??

Updated: Some are saying this may be an eclipse. Read below.
edit on 13-3-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Yeah, the Sun has been dark over here for the past hour and a half.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Dunno must be an error if something big enough passed by the sun and blocked half of it I am sure there would be more noise being made about it

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Hmm, it looks far too swift a change to have been the actual condition of the Sun altering like that, therefore I can only surmise it was something to do with the recording equipment.

I'm not implying that Niburu is passing by it...

'Lol'd' at the "disclaimer"!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
yea must have been some sort of equipment malfunction. or they have put up back dated images already, i just checked nasa and everything look alrite. is anyone in the sun at the moment that can see anything? here in eastern us its dark out.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I just had this off the wall idea maybe Project Blue Beam could produce effects like that with it's lasers...I saw a great video with them demonstrating with just lights on a building and it sure seemed it could make the building disappear in places! Just a thought no evidence or anything...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The sun is just going down now here. It's been bright as ever all day here, I have a large window, and lots of bright white snow that the sun's been glaring off of.

No outages, or even partial darkness today, here, at all.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hmm.. Could this have anything to do with what was posted in this thread..Just a thought.
edit on 13-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Just throwing this out there, but as I said, what if it is some sort of "UFO" casting the shadow while coming into the periphery of the SDO?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
As I posted in another thread, that was the Earth coming between SDO and the sun. Because of SDO's orbit, the Earth will pass between the sun and SDO almost every day for 2-3 weeks, twice a year.

sdoisgo.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

I was just going to copy/paste my reply from another thread.

sdoisgo.blogspot.com...
www.lmsal.com...
Previous eclipse season images.

So we are in eclipse season now. It is the Earth moving between the SDO and the Sun.
And yes those pics are from the SDO.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
So it cast an uneven shadow that sporadically disapears when the eclipse occured?

Originally posted by nataylor

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
So it cast an uneven shadow that sporadically disapears when the eclipse occured?
The Earth has an atmosphere, which means its shadow doesn't produce a sharp edge. As for "disappearing," the eclipse only lasted 43 minutes. SDO only takes a picture every 15 minutes, so there would only be 2 frames that show any of the eclipse.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Yea I saw this on another thread (can't find it now) but what was interesting were the comments in the thread. Someone said the picture was from 2010. Another person said it was a malfunction with the lense.
Is this just a rare phenomenom? If so why would NASA doctor the photos?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the explaination!

This is a rare site, indeed!

Originally posted by nataylor

The Earth has an atmosphere, which means its shadow doesn't produce a sharp edge. As for "disappearing," the eclipse only lasted 43 minutes. SDO only takes a picture every 15 minutes, so there would only be 2 frames that show any of the eclipse.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Thanks for the explaination!

This is a rare site, indeed!
It's really not that rare. Due to SDO's orbit, this is going to happen every day until April 2nd. There's a 2 to 3 week window that happens every spring and every fall where this happens.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Looks like an eclipse.Just look at the fuzzy edges.And it wouldn`t really make sense for the sun to go dark with that shape otherwise, would it now?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This from www.spaceweather.com: (Interesting that "jagged mountains backlit" can be traced. I didn't know the moon had jagged mountains).

SUBSIDING STORM: Earth is exiting a solar wind stream that has been stirring up geomagnetic storms around Earth's poles since April 29th. Over the past few nights, observers have seen auroras over the South Pole, Germany, Wisconsin and Michigan. The chances for more auroras are subsiding as Earth exits the stream.

SDO SOLAR ECLIPSE: There was no eclipse on Earth, May 2, but there was one in Earth orbit. More than 22,000 miles above the planet's surface, NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory watched the Moon pass almost directly in front of the sun:

Look at the full-sized image and trace your finger around the Moon's limb. Thanks to the high resolution of SDO's 16 megapixel cameras, You can actually count jagged mountains backlit by the sun's atmosphere.Beyond the novelty of observing a such an event from space, these images have practical value to the SDO science team. Karel Schrijver of Lockheed-Martin's Solar and Astrophysics Lab explains: "The very sharp edge of the lunar limb allows us to measure the in-orbit characteristics of the telescope--e.g., light diffraction on optics and filter support grids. Once these are characterized, we can use that information to correct our data for instrumental effects and sharpen up the images to even more detail."

Movie formats: 0.4 MB iPad; 0.8 MB mpeg; 0.1 MB iPhone;

Google Video Link

MORNING PLANETS: The Great Morning Planet Show of May 2011 is underway. Every morning for the rest of this month, you can see a beautiful gathering of four planets in the eastern sky. They are Mars, Jupiter, Venus and Mercury, shown here on May 1st over Magnetic Island in east Australia:

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

you may need to look at Lasco C3 through ESA JHelioviewer 2011/05/20 23:18:08 it should give you 330 frames and the frames 40 and 41 of group shows some very interesting items that may answer what you looking for .

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

or Lasco C2 or C3 2011/05/30 12:06 through Soho data site

edit on 1-6-2011 by watchdog8110 because: addition info

<<   2 >>

join