It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists May Have Found Atlantis

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
reply to post by Doug Fisher

To be fair, there are two different dates given by Atlantis proponents. Some think Plato was talking about the city existing 9,000 years from his telling and others think it was more like 900. A simple math error just throws the whole thing out of whack. I personally think the city existed closer to the 900 mark myself.

Hi Sirnex,

My point was simply that I thought they should not have thrown out a date that differed from the original account without explaining how they arrived at it. This is misleading to unsuspecting viewers who may be left believing that the 4,000 year mark is stated in the original account when it is not.

They assert that Atlantis was destroyed 4,000 years ago... I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with the adjusted time frame, but I was disappointed that they made no attempt to explain the disparity.

-Doug

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

For years I've been hearing that Atlantis is in the middle of the Atlantic and now out of nowhere they have Plato's documents saying it's in Spain? OBVIOUSLY, someone is lying, they cannot both be right.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Ooh i'm interested to see more of what's to come of this!
Great find!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Doug Fisher

I understand the point you were trying to make, I was just attempting to clarify that there are two different dates that different historians believe is more accurate. Some think the dates given in the account to be true whereas others think it was a simple human error and that an extra digit was added on by mistake. My personal belief is the later to be true.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I will bang this drum until it is heard.

The city that was the prototype for Plato's atlantis is the Minoan city of Akrotiri, on the island of Thera, off the coast of greece. It was destroyed around 1600bc, by a cataclysmic volcanic euption, which is around 1,000 years before Solon was told the story by the egyptians.
Before the eruption, the caldera that was formed by previous eruptions formed a harbor sheltered by islands in the form of concentric rings, with only one entrance, This is a know fact, as a mosaic depicting the harbour has been uncovered in the ruins of Akrotiri.
This is just as Plato descibed the harbor at atlantis.

The Minoans were the Mediteranian trade super power in their time, esentialy controlling trade in the eastern
Med.

They had extensive trade relations with the egyptians, and were also craftsmen of the finest order.

The city of Akrotiri had multi story buildings with hot and cold running water, supplied by volcanic hot springs and cold springs.They also had toilets and a municipal sewer system.
They were extremely advanced compared to the other societies of the med at the time.
And a recent translation of the writings of plato has some subtle differences in the wording of the dialogues.
The phrasing " in front of the pillars of Hercules", in the newer translation reads "in the direction of the pillars of herculese."

There might be a buried city near Cadiz, but it it very unlikely that it was the template for Atlantis.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
I will bang this drum until it is heard.

The city that was the prototype for Plato's atlantis is the Minoan city of Akrotiri, on the island of Thera, off the coast of greece. It was destroyed around 1600bc, by a cataclysmic volcanic euption, which is around 1,000 years before Solon was told the story by the egyptians.

The only problem with that theory is that Solon and Plato knew all about the Minoan Civilization and being good Greek scholars they would of recognised it had the story been referring to it.

how does the idea that the Minoans lived in Atlantis stand up among scholars? Generally it doesn’t fare very well. You will be hard pressed to find recent scholarship that supports the idea.

several problems in equating the Minoans with Atlantis. The island is said to have existed nearly 9,000 years before Plato’s time – yet we know that the Minoans vanished only 1,000 years before his life. Why would Plato be so far off? “To argue that this is so because the Greeks had a poor notion of time is hardly serious.” Geography is another problem, Atlantis is supposed to be beyond the “pillar of Hercules” – in other words, in the Atlantic Ocean. Crete, on the other hand, is not far from the Greek coast.

source

ETA I dont think this program aired on UK TV so I'm still waiting to see it!

edit on 14/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Well I still think Atlantis is somewhere in the Azores. In the ATLANTIC ocean. But If I had the money to make an expedition, I would definitely look first under the sphinx in Egypt, supposedly where the Hall of Records is, and the history of our ancient past.

edit on 14-3-2011 by _SilentAssassin_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Did you know Spain is right beside the Atlantic Ocean? Beside France

Supposedly there used to be a land in between but it probably got flooded out thousands of years ago.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I have found 'Finding Atlantis', the new National Geographic documentary.
I should be given an award.

hostingbulk.com...

:3

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by _SilentAssassin_

I'll give you a star instead.
It's all I can afford what with all the recent budget cuts and all

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by _SilentAssassin_
I have found 'Finding Atlantis', the new National Geographic documentary.
I should be given an award.

hostingbulk.com...

:3

Pssh. Go to warez-bb.org and you'll find dozens of good links.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yei!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Solasis

Actually, the general consensus is that Atlantis WAS hit by a tsunami. As Plato described it in Timaeus-Critias -

"But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, because there is a shoal of mud in the way; and this was caused by the subsidence of the island."

So the use of the word tsunami is quite appropriate.

I would like to hear that this is true. What I really would like to learn is that Atlantis existed and had advanced is science and technology. I hope the records show people of that time where aware of civilizations as far away as the Americas.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

The maps I've seen in books show Atlantis at the halfway point between the U.S. and Europe. Not right in Spain or off the coast of Spain. But whatever. Can't trust anyone anymore.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

You are probably thinking of Athanasius Kircher's map:

A southern oriented map of Atlantis from Athanasius Kircher’s 1664 work Mundus Subterraneus.

Below I have placed Kircher’s map of Atlantis alongside a depiction of South America from the 1592 Typus Orbis Terrarum by Abraham Ortelius and oriented both maps so that north is toward the top.

1592 Typus Orbis Terrarum by Abraham Ortelius (left) alongside Kircher’s later 1664 Atlantis reoriented with north toward the top. Note the curved indentation in the northwest (A) and the coastline which veers abruptly south-southeast in a straight line (B). The two maps also share an almost identical blunt west to east rising southern tip (C) and finally both maps correctly depict a recessed southeastern coastline (D) interrupted by the Rio de la Plata (E).

-Doug

edit on 3-14-2011 by Doug Fisher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I missed the airing of the show, though after checking my listings and the site National Geographic site, the show will air again at 7:00 PM EDT Tuesday March 15th Night, Which is 8:00 PM EST tonight for me.

I hope this helps anyone else that missed the original airing as well.

I will reserve my comments on the show until I have had a chance to view the show.

edit on 3/14/2011 by AlienCarnage because: Clarification

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Topato
reply to post by Kryties

For years I've been hearing that Atlantis is in the middle of the Atlantic and now out of nowhere they have Plato's documents saying it's in Spain? OBVIOUSLY, someone is lying, they cannot both be right.

Whoever had been telling you it's in the middle of the Atlantic has just been following one of the many THEORIES of Atlantis's location - ALL of which stem initially from Plato's account in 'Timaeus-Critias'. Your depiction of it being in the middle of the Atlantic is based off it being past the 'Pillars of Heracles'. Look at a map if you don't believe me.

Nobody is lying mate, and they didn't just discover Plato - its been known about since he wrote it in antiquity. Are you absolutely sure you watched the documentary? It covered all of this.....
edit on 15/3/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Topato

There are many different interpretations of Plato's tale. It all depends on who is doing the interpretation of the story and how they are interpreting the meaning of his words. Depending on which interpretation you follow, will show the location of Atlantis in many different places.

After looking into the subject for some time now, I am of the thought that Plato was not talking about a single place. What I gather is that it was a fable derived from many other stories of factual places that he used to create his Atlantis. This is why there is so many different sites that match different parts of his description, but as to yet not one site has been able to completely match all of the aspects of his Atlantis. I think the location is actually kind of vague, not exact at all on purpose, sort of his way of making the reader believe in the possibility of Atlantis being real, without there being any real way to find it do to the vagueness of the description of it's location. Of course this is speculation at best on my part, as I am not an authority on Atlantis, but just have an interest in the subject.

I am interested to see the documentary tonight and see what they found thus far leading them to the belief they have found Atlantis.
edit on 3/15/2011 by AlienCarnage because: Clarification

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

I am going to have to agree with you.

A tsunami wipes out Japan then all of a sudden stories come forward of how Atlantis, the ancient city supposedly wiped out by a tsunami, might have been found?

I believe that there was an Atlantis, but I have some doubts about wether it has yet been found or not.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

You are almost right, Solon did know of the minoans, through the egyptian legends that he passed as tales of atlantis, duh.
But the greeks knew very little of the minoan culture beyond the ruins they found on crete.
They certainly didnt know anything of the city of Akrotiri, it was buried under 200 feet of ash, thats 200 FEET of ash. When the mycenaen greeks arrived several generations after the eruption, the island of thera was a sterile land unable to support any sizable settlement.
Akrotiri wasnt discovered until the 1880's and proper excavations didnt start till the 1960's.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join