It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quiz Laced With Sexual Innuendo Given to High School Students

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by heataz
reply to post by totalmetal

The teacher could have used another method to teach the concept. This is sexual harassment when it happend in the workplace.

A little challenge for you. Show me even a single part of that quiz that is 'sexual'. Waiting forward for your answer

Sexual Tension Quiz

The title of the document posted is "Sexual Tension Quiz"

sex·u·al (sksh-l)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, involving, or characteristic of sex, sexuality, the sexes, or the sex organs and their functions.
2. Implying or symbolizing erotic desires or activity.
3. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction characterized by the union of male and female gametes: sexual reproduction.

The very title of the quiz leads the students to answers that are "sexual"
edit on 13-3-2011 by heataz because: I wanted to edit so I did.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Language Registers

There are five language registers or styles. Each level has an appropriate use that is determined by differing situations. It would certainly be inappropriate to use language and vocabulary reserve for a boyfriend or girlfriend when speaking in the classroom. Thus the appropriate language register depends upon the audience (who), the topic (what), purpose (why) and location (where).

You must control the use of language registers in order to enjoy success in every aspect and situation you encounter.

1. Static Register
This style of communications RARELY or NEVER changes. It is “frozen” in time and content. e.g. the Pledge of Allegiance, the Lord’s Prayer, the Preamble to the US Constitution, the Alma Mater, a bibliographic reference, laws .

2. Formal Register
This language is used in formal settings and is one-way in nature. This use of language usually follows a commonly accepted format. It is usually impersonal and formal. A common format for this register are speeches. e.g. sermons, rhetorical statements and questions, speeches, pronouncements made by judges, announcements.

3. Consultative Register
This is a standard form of communications. Users engage in a mutually accepted structure of communications. It is formal and societal expectations accompany the users of this speech. It is professional discourse. e.g. when strangers meet, communications between a superior and a subordinate, doctor & patient, lawyer & client, lawyer & judge, teacher & student, counselor & client,

4. Casual Register
This is informal language used by peers and friends. Slang, vulgarities and colloquialisms are normal. This is “group” language. One must be member to engage in this register. e.g. buddies, teammates, chats and emails, and blogs, and letters to friends.

5. Intimate Register
This communications is private. It is reserved for close family members or intimate people. e.g. husband & wife, boyfriend & girlfriend, siblings, parent & children.

Rule of Language Use:
One can usually transition from one language register to an adjacent one without encountering repercussions. However, skipping one or more levels is usually considered inappropriate and even offensive.

Source: Montano-Harmon, M. R. “Developing English for Academic Purposes” California State University, Fullerton.A school is not an episode of Family Guy. It is a public building paid for by taxpayers. Students who are in the classroom have to be there and do not have the option of turning the channel. Public places require a different standard than those that are aligned to what we see on television.

Originally posted by totalmetal

Originally posted by MrPieman
This shouldnt be a high school psychology test, it should be for 20+ because they are more mentally mature than teenagers in heat.

Come on! One episode of Family Guy has about as much sexual innuendo as this test. And Family Guy is a little more blatant about it sometimes too. Anyway, this was a test to show the students something, it's not like the teacher was getting the girls all hot and bothered so he could have his way.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by heataz

It is an AP psychology class, I think the whole point was to demonstrate how perverted the mind can be, and how focused the mind is on sex lol. How else would you do that? If the parents think that sexuality and such is not going to come up in AP psychology, they clearly don't know much about psychology at all. Perhaps they should have sent their kids to catholic school instead.... Should human biology also be scrapped, afterall there is a lot of nakedness and anatomy in that subject lol.
edit on Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:37:27 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
If this were the point, then why was the title of the quiz "Sexual Tension?" I do get the point but this was a poor way to teach the concept. The title, itself, will lead the students to "sexual answers" so the very quiz is flawed.

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by heataz

It is an AP psychology class, I think the whole point was to demonstrate how perverted the mind can be, and how focused the mind is on sex lol. How else would you do that? If the parents think that sexuality and such is not going to come up in AP psychology, they clearly don't know much about psychology at all. Perhaps they should have sent their kids to catholic school instead....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
To all those who disagree with this test, how do you feel about the fact that I learned sex education in the 5th grade? Should we remove that too? I saw a baby born in a video, diagrams of female genitals, methods of safe sex, among other educational information. Grow the hell up.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE HUMAN BODY

edit on 3/15/11 by totalmetal because: added final line

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by totalmetal
To all those who disagree with this test, how do you feel about the fact that I learned sex education in the 5th grade? Should we remove that too? I saw a baby born in a video, diagrams of female genitals, methods of safe sex, among other educational information. Grow the hell up.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE HUMAN BODY

edit on 3/15/11 by totalmetal because: added final line

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the human body and I love sex! However, there was no point in this flawed quiz. The very title at the top of the quiz is "Sexual Tension." If I am a student, of course I'm going to think about sexual answers so what was the point? I don't get why the teacher had to use crudeness and items that would get you fired in the workplace to make a point. Don't teachers get sexual harassment training?

Google the law.
From About.com:

Examples of Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of situations. These are examples of sexual harassment, not intended to be all inclusive.
Unwanted jokes, gestures, offensive words on clothing, and unwelcome comments and repartee.
Touching and any other bodily contact such as scratching or patting a coworker's back, grabbing an employee around the waiste, or interfering with an employee's ability to move.
Repeated requests for dates that are turned down or unwanted flirting.
Transmitting or posting emails or pictures of a sexual or other harassment-related nature.
Displaying sexually suggestive objects, pictures, or posters.
Playing sexually suggestive music.

Education is about preparing for the real world and that includes the workplace.
I get that the teacher was trying to say, but he FAILED! There are better ways.

If you are going to continue to bother with this topic, perhaps it would help if you reread why people who object do so. You, perhaps, are not getting the point. It's not about sex or about keeping some big secret from high school students; we know high school students know about the birds and the bees, and who said anything about nudity? The quiz is not about nudity. Where did you get that? This is about Civil Rights and if you don't see the connection google the law that protects persons in public places from behaviors such as this.

I love a good dirty joke and I make sexual innuendoes to my husband frequently, but the classroom is not the place for either.

By the way, did you happen to get a look at the teacher's lesson plan or his objective?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the human body and I love sex! However, there was no point in this flawed quiz. The very title at the top of the quiz is "Sexual Tension." If I am a student, of course I'm going to think about sexual answers so what was the point? I don't get why the teacher had to use crudeness and items that would get you fired in the workplace to make a point. Don't teachers get sexual harassment training?

Google the law.
From About.com:

Examples of Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of situations. These are examples of sexual harassment, not intended to be all inclusive.
Unwanted jokes, gestures, offensive words on clothing, and unwelcome comments and repartee.
Touching and any other bodily contact such as scratching or patting a coworker's back, grabbing an employee around the waiste, or interfering with an employee's ability to move.
Repeated requests for dates that are turned down or unwanted flirting.
Transmitting or posting emails or pictures of a sexual or other harassment-related nature.
Displaying sexually suggestive objects, pictures, or posters.
Playing sexually suggestive music.

Education is about preparing for the real world and that includes the workplace.
I get that the teacher was trying to say, but he FAILED! There are better ways.

If you are going to continue to bother with this topic, perhaps it would help if you reread why people who object do so. You, perhaps, are not getting the point. It's not about sex or about keeping some big secret from high school students; we know high school students know about the birds and the bees, and who said anything about nudity? The quiz is not about nudity. Where did you get that? This is about Civil Rights and if you don't see the connection google the law that protects persons in public places from behaviors such as this.

I love a good dirty joke and I make sexual innuendoes to my husband frequently, but the classroom is not the place for either.

By the way, did you happen to get a look at the teacher's lesson plan or his objective?

Well from that about.com definition then my sexual education class was sexual harassment as well. Come on now, is sex really that bad that we have to make this such a big deal?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

This isn't about biology or art or health classes. It's not about psychology class. It's about this particular quiz. It was flawed, useless, and offensive to some.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by heataz

I disagree, they can be very useful. It shows what the mind is focused on, even if you never notice it.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

It was flawed,

Your opinion.

useless,

Your opinion

and offensive to some.

And? I find stupidity offensive but I cannot ban it from being around me. Every point that needed to be made for this test has been made, I cannot add anymore.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by heataz

You are very correct.

This was a terrible idea - I am not even sure how some people think this is OK in any school environment, honestly.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by chancemusky
reply to post by heataz

I disagree, they can be very useful. It shows what the mind is focused on, even if you never notice it.

Once again, look at the title of the quiz--Clearly at the top of the quiz the title is "Sexual Tension Quiz" Of course your mind is going to be focused on sex if that is the title of the quiz. So how was this test showing anything other than the obvious? Now, let's just say I give you a quiz--a riddle, "What goes in hard and comes out sticky" and you think something sexual--when the answer is gum then I would have made a point. However if I say I'm going to ask you a question to see if your thoughts lean toward the sexual and then I ask you the same question and you think something sexual, I've made no point what-so-ever. The latter is what the teacher did. He taught no concept whatsoever. It wasted time.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by heataz

Half the things I learn in school are useless. It doesn't mean they didn't prove a point.
Besides, its not saying the answers are sexual.It simply put the idea in your mind. Which is what the concept was about. What goes on in your mind, even if you don't want it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
If the parents there think they can't handle adult level things like this, why did they let them enroll into an adult level class, and psychology at all for that matter? Like I said, it is psychology, people have twisted and perverted minds, you will learn about many sick and uncomfortable things in these classes.
edit on Wed, 16 Mar 2011 04:06:01 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

This isn't about biology or art or health classes. It's not about psychology class. It's about this particular quiz. It was flawed, useless, and offensive to some.

Actually it has a lot to do with the fact that it was a psychology class.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
In my high school, any Advanced class was optional. Parents who enrolled their children in these courses knew what to expect from the teachers, if they cared to pay attention to what was involved in the subjects. Any course a parent might find offensive, they had the option not to have their child take the class; or, given evidence of why it was not appropriate, they could have their child exempt from the course. In grade 7, when other children had sex-ed class, I sat in resource and did homework. In grade 8, when other kids were taking home fake babies to learn to take care of them, I went to the library and read fiction novels. In grade 11, when other kids took human biology, I took Law. Did I just not learn any of these things? Of course not. We all know you learn from more places than just a classroom. My mother chose to remove me from these settings. (Heck, I know parents who insisted on sending their children to these classes just to avoid having to teach them themselves).

Do I find this test inappropriate considering the course was Advanced Psychology? No. Why? Because, as others have said, it proves its point. One person mentioned the title of the test made the test sexual in nature. Of course it did. If anything, I bet the title was more the point than the questions were. Had the test been titled something like "Random Riddles", do you think anyone's mind would have jumped to the conclusions they had as quickly as they did? That being said, I do believe that, even if it were an Advanced Psychology class, the parents should have been given notice that such topics would be covered, and then given the option of having their child take it, or not. Though, honestly, how can you discuss psychology without venturing towards sex-oriented topics? The human psyche is, in part, sex-oriented itself. I would expect such a topic to be discussed in an Advanced Psychology class. Just as I am sure they are bound to eventually discuss religion. I, myself, am not a highly religious person. In fact, I find most people's views on the topic offensive in nature. Would I exclude my child from that? No.

Religion may never touch your life, or affect you in any way (good, or bad), but eventually sex will. Do I think it should never be taught in any form except to adults? No. That would be a bit sheltered of me. Do I think the topic could have been approached a better way? More than likely. But no matter what way you go at it, the subject alone is bound to offend someone. And heck, if we were never taught anything offensive, what would they teach in school? Science, and all branches of it, are ruled out because of religious persons. English? Well, what about those people whose first language is not English? Guess we can't teach that any more. Geography? Well, you may not know this, but there are still people in the world who believe the Earth is flat. Incredulous, but true.

As parents, the option should always be present as to what your child is taught, sure. And the sorts of people those children become will always be contributed to the parents, good or bad, regardless. So while I myself do not find this offensive, given the parameters in which it exists, there should always be choice. And given that they are high school students, AP or not, parents should have been consulted prior to anything of such nature being introduced. Are they going to hear it elsewhere? Sure. Just because I didn't take sex-ed doesn't mean I am completely oblivious to the matter; but sometimes it is not the subject, but the setting, that causes the discomfort. Why did I not go to sex-ed, if not for religious reasons? I was raped as a child by an older male. The topic of sex was not offensive to my mother, it was the fact I had to learn it from an older male.

So to answer the question, I don't think it is offensive. I don't think he should be fired. But I think the parents of the students should have some say in how some topics are approached. And they should always be notified first, so that if they decide they want their children to be involved, and learn these topics, they at least have time to cover them with their children first.

Sorry for the looping around, but my brain works differently than some, and this was the way it made sense to me.
And I know this is a 'dead' topic, but I felt the need to contribute my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have no problem with the quiz. AP courses are at a senior level in HS (at least they were when I was in). I would love to know what the course was covering at the time. Anyone can take anything and make it sexual if they try. How many times have we heard "would you like to super-size that?".

No, I don't have kids but my fiancee has grandkids. I guess I wouldn't make a good grandparent by some standards posted above mine.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Yeah, he deserves to be fired. That was way over the line, and he had to know it.
I'm a pretty free-thinking guy, but damn...in High School, you're talking about minors, and that kind of thing is going to have more repercussions than just the quiz. I suspect they'll be looking at this guy for other misconduct as well (and there likely is some).

This dude was just plain wrong, and any sensible person knows it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join