It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Just felt a pretty good one...lasted a little longer this time.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Would love to! I'm very near the Hwy 300 Hwy 10 Jct in West Little Rock

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by shikori
Are there any volcanoes in this region. That's the most probable cause considering the fact that the quakes are centered in a primary location. Is an undiscovered super volcano sleeping there, or is this the birth of one? Could there be a mega quake looming?
edit on 16-2-2011 by shikori because: (no reason given)

There was a thread on here a day or so ago, where a future map of the US - which looked military - was showing a flooded area in the vicinity of the New Madrid fault area. This map also had circles on it, where it was noted "possible volcanic eruptions". Two of those circles were in the New Madrid area. I'll see if I can find that thread.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiricusTheoricus

you may find this link informative and a good place to start understanding the correlation of the aspects involved ... www.thepeoplesvoice.org...

yes, there is activity to be concerned about but exactly what that concern is, is still questionable at best.
for now, learn all you can, prepare as best you can and share what you learn with everyone you know ... knowledge is power.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by derek_m24

actually, this comment is rather misleading.
yes, there has been quake related activity in the Arkansas region for many years. Only recently, the frequency, intensity and centralized locale has drawn the attention of many locals, professionals, govt employees and others besides this obsessed observer.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Here is the thread with the interesting map.

post by 9Cib27

edit on 16-2-2011 by liveyourlife because: trying to post the thread connection

Well - I cant seem to post the thread......its under Global Meltdown...Interesting Picture.

edit on 16-2-2011 by liveyourlife because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Holy crap!There have been alot of small quakes there.
Maybe Edgar Cayce was right and the Mississippi will sink and become a new inland sea.
Well then,I will have beach front property up here on my hill in the Ohio valley in Kentucky at 800 feet above sea level.
That is the reason I left Charleston,SC,cause I could see the sea level rising and got tired of all the hurricanes.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This last quake shook pretty good was longer than the last...was almost euphoric.

My Akita got almost on top of me about 2-3 minutes before it hit. She is epileptic and does the same before she has a seizure...thats what I thought was about to happen.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I'm all too aware of the 80's swarm in the exact same area...didn't have time to give a history of the area

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

3.2 earthquake 20 minutes ago nothing major.................................according to usgs
edit on 16-2-2011 by AtruthGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

got a friend not to far from you in maumelle. she says she hasnt felt anything over there but then again shes so busy she prolly wouldnt notice

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Daedal

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! The oil that came out in the Gulf did not leave a void. How many times do people have to be told that?

Now the strata involved are however connected so I am not saying that there is no connection but it is NOT because of a void.

Puterman, you know i'm not a fan of arguing but this statement leaves me to wonder and i'm hoping you'll expand on your reasoning.

It would seem to me (and others apparently) that once the fluid (oil) is removed from the strata at the pace the GOM disaster occurred, surely something would naturally fill-in the void ... it happens elsewhere in nature, how or why is this different, in your opinion?

on a side-note of the GOM, isn't it possible (even slightly) that the dispersant used could be a contributing factor, especially at the amounts employed and knowing we are not privy to the components of the dispersant itself?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Wow one after the other - I am getting pretty concerned because they are so frequent. What should people be aware of before these quakes intensify in strength?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by liveyourlife

There is no potential location in that area for Volcanism. That is an invented myth like so many others on the Internet.

When dealing with fear mongers and doom and gloom people you have to do your due diligence and research what they are saying using credible sources.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/735de7faa35a.jpg[/atsimg]

This map shows all known locations in the Continental US. There are none east of those shown.

However these earthquakes are most certainly related to the New Madras (New Madrid is common misnomer). Destructive earthquakes are possible in that area.

edit on 2/16/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I lived in Memphis for 4 years. I spoken with the people from the USGS several times about the possibility of a quake in Memphis. I was told USGS has gone to the city of Memphis several times to warn them of the possibility and consequences of a quake in Memphis. They recommended then that the city start retrofitting its buildings and instituting stricter guidelines and have an emergency plan. They ignored every single recommendation. Scary

The person I spoke to also said that because Memphis sits on top of the Memphis Sands aquifer that the downtown area could be lowered by 2-10 feet causing massive flooding from the Mississippi River. Read this study by the Univ. of Memphis on aquifers "cone of depression".
Memphis Aquifer

I think the most devastating effect will be of the people who live in poverty in the surrounding areas. Given the fact that crime is already astronomical, I think if they ever have a huge quake there there will be massive looting and crime that will make Katrina look like kindergarten.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Much bigger one just happened. getting a screen shot now

I'm a bit rusty at this....but probably 3.5 to 4.0
edit on 16-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

Here is the screen shot (scroll to the right for the big one)

So I was a little off...but not by too much. Now that I have a gage, I should be able to read it better. Interesting to note is that the USGS did NOT include the two smaller quakes prior to the 3.2. Also, it may still be upgraded.

Magnitude 3.2
Date-Time Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 02:53:25 UTC
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 08:53:25 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.280°N, 92.421°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles)
Region ARKANSAS
Distances 20 km (15 miles) N of Conway, Arkansas
60 km (40 miles) NNW of LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas
60 km (40 miles) W of Searcy, Arkansas
65 km (40 miles) E of Russellville, Arkansas

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 7 km (4.3 miles); depth +/- 0.4 km (0.2 miles)
Parameters NST= 8, Nph= 10, Dmin=12.2 km, Rmss=0.37 sec, Gp=148°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0001fpg

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AtruthGuy

Confirmed just saw it on my Equake3d

link   
reply to post by dalemcfad

Might have something to do with me not being on the ground floor. When the 3.5 hit earlier I was outside and didn't really shake. It felt kinda like a big jolt. The last couple I was in my apartment and seemed like I could those longer than the 3.5

link   
reply to post by Daedal

You mentioned the BP oil disaster, it got me thinking. There have been many small quakes in the south in recent months, the BP oil disaster, and the swarms in Arkansas... usually swarms are associated with volcanic activity correct?

Is it crazy for me to be thinking that there could be an unknown volcanic caldera hidden below that area of the U.S.? Perhaps magma flows that were triggered after the last New Madrid quake in 1811-1812?

When I say unknown, I mean unknown to the masses, not to the government. Perhaps this is the secret they are keeping behind this readiness drill they are planning.

If I'm way off base let me know, but its something to think about.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalemcfad

got a friend not to far from you in maumelle. she says she hasnt felt anything over there but then again shes so busy she prolly wouldnt notice

Most people would never notice an earthquake below a 3 or so and it looks like these are all very small quakes.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join