It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mac Opinions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I personally own a MacBook Air and its very high quality. Im interested to find your opinions on computer brands and computer views. The only bad thing about the Air is that it is so thin it doesn't have all the ports and cable holes that are useful and sometimes required. Also the price of Macs is very high and also sometimes incomprehensible. So what are your views on computer brands?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
we have a Apple Imac 27-Inch Desktop...we have always used mac at home but a most places I have worked they have pc's...in my opinion pc's SUCK..

the last mac we had was a white beast the emac...and we purchased it in 2002 and just got rid of it last year
( barbie.com somehow gave us the "black screen of death".. Before that we had an orange imac and a blueberry macbook. Even though they were old they still ran great..no viruses, no problems with anything. They last forever compared to pc's!

I would never buy a pc..I'm just a mac person...i guess...but it does piss me off about the china labor thing but what can a person do? we don't own any other apple products...just the computers..

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I've been inposession of a Mac pro desktop for the past 3 years , and I really don't see what all the fuss is about.
I'm a musician, and everyone who owns a Mac told me that if you're a musician, you need a Mac.
After about 10 years of resisting the temptation, I went and got this one, and for the price, I reckon I could have got a top spec PC which would leave this coughing in the dust.
Don't get me wrong, it's good, but like I said........

Here's my list of issues with it.

1. Never once managed to receive an email on it (Though I can on my secondhand Windows XP laptop), except Apple's 'give us more of your money' emails, which I've now managed to cancel.
Even an 'Apple Genius' couldn't figure it out when I called them.

2. No defragmentation possible on files over 50 meg without shelling out even more cash on a 3rd party defragmenter.
Apple recommend reinstalling the OS and all programs failing this.

3. If I pull a USB drive without remembering to eject the thing, the system goes belly up.
My mate said he had to reinstall the whole system again after one of these incidents.
This has never been a problem on my PC.
I thought the inventors of USB would have figured it out by now.

4. ALWAYS screws up my (Non-Apple) mp3 player and I have to reinitialise it and reinstall all my music on my PC to get it working again.

5. Why can I only resize windows from the bottom right hand corner?

6. Why do I have to use the backspace key to delete some things when there is a delete key on the keyboard?

Maybe I'm too thick to know how to use it properly, but a hard copy manual would have been useful for the price.
Apple say the omission of a hard copy manual in the box was due to environmental concerns, but when I bought a copy of Logic, it came with a whole library of manuals(???!!!???).
I've never needed to use a manual with a PC, and I can relatively easily configure it to work how I want it, not how Apple want it.
This is one fascist of an OS, and I've spent so much time circumventing Apple's restrictions that I'm now in my third incarnation.

Apart from the above, and the ludicrous prices they charge for EVERYTHING, it's OK I suppose.

I know this post is probably going to irritate some of the Apple diehard fanbois, but I really do not get it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'm a PC dude but I'm not a mac hater , I've always had PC's and seriously windows 7 is a god send. I'm actually a web designer and thought about getting a mac to test my websites on its native OS the thing that puts me off about apple is that the company makes everything proprietary meaning if you want to use macs you need mac software if you want to play games on the ipod you cant use flash and they must be designed and created on apple software it comes across like a dictatorship, apple does make some really cool products but I've steered away because of the "we are god you must follow us" attitude... If I want to play a flash game on my phone thats my choice not apples...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Recently switched from a mac book pro back to windows, i got a sony vaio just to try out windows 7...Worst mistake i ever made stick with apple. I have never had a problem with apple they make a solid product!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Recently switched from a mac book pro back to windows, i got a sony vaio just to try out windows 7...Worst mistake i ever made stick with apple. I have never had a problem with apple they make a solid product!

I have a Macbook Pro but I also have an older HP laptop I installed Windows 7 on. The opposite is true for me, I prefer Win 7 over Mac OS X.

At least with my pc laptop I can burn multisession on a DVD-RW disc, Macbooks can't (but they can for DVD-R, a** backwards.) Very odd design.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

edit on 7-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I had PC's for 10 years before I decided to purchase my first mac, and it was one of the smartest decisions I have ever made. In comparison, I absolutely LOVE my mac laptop and will never go back to PC's. I am in nursing school, and have tons of papers, powerpoints and programs for school. My laptop runs smooth and fast, no viruses no bugs, and I put a lot of demand on my laptop and I've had no problems of any kind. I also purchased an i mac for my kids, and we have really enjoyed it. I had so many problems with PC's, I've owned HP's, an eMachine, Compaq, Toshiba, Gateway, all of them gave me major problems, although the HP's held up the best. The saying "once you go mac, you never go back" is really true, at least for me it is! The extra expense is worth it as well,IMO, if for nothing else than the fact that they are headache free.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
for comparison:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Rebel21

I do not see what is so special about macs, they are just pcs with a os. Pcs as long as they are built with some knowledge are good enough for anyone to use.

You can even make a hackintosh on a pc, if you want.

Nothing special as far as i am concerned.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I like freedom, so I hate Apple

I payed $1200 for my current laptop. The same hardware from Apple would have cost me $3000+ and would leave me a lot more restricted. Macs are for the computer illiterate, PCs can go either way. If you take care of a Windows PC, it'll last you a long time. In fact, the fact that you can upgrade a Windows PC easily means it has the potential to last far longer than any Mac. I also have an old Toshiba laptop from 2001 that is still capable of running XP just fine, although it's on Ubuntu right now.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

A godsend, you say? I am a computer repairmen, and so far this year I have had 6 customers who wanted Windows XP installed, because they hated Windows 7. Want to test your Windows 7 computer? Go here: pcflank.com...
Run the Advanced Port Scanner test. Windows 7 has all ports open by default. Try some of the other security test there.

By the way, I run Fedora 24 Linux on my machine. Fast, secure, and never a virus or blue screen. When I go to pcflank.com... and run a test, it cannot even see my IP address!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Your entitled to your opinions but pcs can be a big range of computers while macs are really a range of a few with closed specs.

If you built a half price of the top mac pc, that would be very nearly as good as that mac, while running win7.

Pcs are what you put into them, while mac is a closed system. Pcs can be excellent, if you put the money and time into them.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If you really want to know what makes macs so solid hardware-wise, its the power supplies. The hardware is pc nowadays. Intel Processors, Asus motherboards, crucial ram and western digital harddrives with ATI graphics. But Apple learned long ago that without good clean power, the best hardware in the world is junk. I am certified mac and pc tech and they both are great in their own rights. the PC can be configured 1000 different ways. Macs, not so much. It all depends on what you like. Everyone is different in their own way. Ive seen people switch from one to the other and become fanatical, and ive seen people rue the day they switched and couldnt wait to get back.

I say whatever turns ur crank, go with it. There are goods and bads on both sides, its whatever works the best for you IMHO.

Just my .02¢

Silver

new topics

top topics

join