It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Curious Case of the Newfoundland Moose

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This isn't exactly cryptozoology, but I can't find a better place for it. Mods, if this is too misplaced, please move it. Anyways, on to the actual post.

Moose aren't native to Newfoundland. However, in 1878 and 1904, some geniuses decided that we could use some huge, useless animals to run cars into. And so, a total of three breeding pairs were brought across from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (how they caught them is another story entirely). From those six animals, an estimated population of between 100,000-150,000 of the things now thrives all across the island. How? Genetically speaking, they should have died off from genetic disease long ago. The population is so inbred it could almost be called a separate subspecies. Most isolated populations like this die or mutate within a few generations. What's keeping the moose from doing the same?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Catching moose could have been easier than you think.
Domesticated moose

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
ACTUALLY, MOOSE ARE ATTRACTED TO THE COLOR YELLOW AND THE SCENT OF PEANUT BUTTER... SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO BE FACT. USE BOTH, CATCH A MOOSE.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

That is a great little tid bit of info. Sometimes when I get really aggravated by the trolling in other threads someone comes up with some great bit of useless information that sets my mind at ease.
As to how three pairs of moose turned into 100k thats a great question.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm from Newfoundland and these giant things sure love to plant themselves on roads and highways, they are certainly a threat every time you sit behind the wheel. However, I'm unsure how the population managed to thrive without genetic failure...but they sure do taste good.

join