It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this the end of multiculturaism in britain?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
multiculturaism was an experiment in britain. to me that was a wrong decision for britain. i believe it started in the seventies. many people's from around the earth have come to britain and brought there culture and beliefs with them, all this has done is to divide britain. now the british government is ending this madness, and about time to. as a brit myself i think this decision has come to late. now a lot of people are going to be upset about having to change, and to follow the british way, tuff. if you can see a country or a society as a machine, if all it's parts won't and dont work as one, well the machine will stop. so if we don't follow the same ideas and values, it won't work, as we have seen in britain. put it this way. you as a person invite someone to say in your home, you provide all there needs for them, they in return start making unreadable demands on you, and disrespecting you, how long would you put up with this lack of respect to you, and ask them to change there ways or leave your home.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I really really hope it is the end of multiculturism

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The UK was sold out to the globalists. You'll never get it back.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
how is it going to change? Where did you get this information?

One thing they should change is stop giving free housing and money to these people who only come here to scrounge of the system..

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Immigration stared properly after the fall of the empire when british passport holding Indians came and lived in the UK. (they suffered serious racism).
Britain also encouraged West Indians to move to the UK to do menial work after world war II.
Britain needed the West Indians due to the amount of men lost during the war, they basically helped rebuild Britain.
In my opinion, the problem with Britain is the same problem with most of the planet. Big corporations, big banks, greedy, power hungry psychopaths that are quite happy for us to fight amongst ourselves while they control us like little chidren.
Immigration/racism, call it what you want, it's a smokescreen, and so many intelligent people are falling for it due to it's convienience.

Just out of curiosity, in what way has your British way of life been reduced?
You can still morris dance, you can still wave flags at the queen etc etc.
People are always going on about how their British culture has been robbed from them due to immigrants, I don't know what they mean?
What British culture?
edit on 5/2/11 by NonKonphormist because: to do editing type stuff

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by NonKonphormist

Morris dance and wave flags at the queen.. That's like saying all that Americans eat are hamburgers.. What a ridiculous statement!!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Morris dance and wave flags at the queen.. That's like saying all that Americans eat are hamburgers.. What a ridiculous statement!!

I haven't met an American that doesn't eat hamburgers.

For the record, I was being ironic, it was supposed to highlight the fact that there isn't actually a "British" culture.
Not one that the average man in the street would recognise, apart from alcohol abuse, sunday roast and football.
I don't see anyone attempting to take those rights away from anyone.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

Isn't multiculturalism in the very core of the British society? I mean, with your background as a colonial super-power, once covering the largest empire in history? You think all that happened was British cultural influences being implemented abroad and not vice versa?
If multiculturalism is so horrific for British society, you should have thought of that some 300 years ago.
Tea, curry and chutney, where does it come from? Well, it ain't from Ashton-upon-ribble, I can tell you as much.

Started in the 70's, bah!
Read a history book and come out of your bubble of neglection, will you.

This thread reeks of racist trolling. Bet it won't survive for long.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

What about the lazy british born who just sit around drawing dole and never pay taxes! Shhot lets be honest. What about lazy white people? Don't be bashful now.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
My issue is this whole PC things has become a like a religion with it's own brand of extresmism and fundamentalism.. IMHO ending that part, and allowing people to just "get on" with each other is the bit I agree with..

As for those who claim our heritage and identity is not being erased, you need look no further than the Bonfire Societies..

The Bonfire Council here took the case to UNESCO to get protection from our Gov constantly trying to end the events by putting unreasonable costs/legal obligations in the way..

So while French cooking gets international protection, our heritiage gets none, soon we'll be a nation of pretty houses but no soul...

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I think the OP is referring to comments made by UK Prime minister David Cameron, he is claiming multiculturalism has failed.

www.google.com...

"Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism," Cameron said. "A passively tolerant society says to its citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. It stands neutral between different values. "A genuinely liberal country does much more. It believes in certain values and actively promotes them.... It says to its citizens: this is what defines us as a society."

I actually think we need to read between the lines here. How will this 'much more active, muscular liberalism' and 'actively promoting' values manifest itself and affect everyone? This sounds like orwellian double speak to me, a truly liberal society that forces people to conform?!

Just because a politician appears to be talking about multiculturalism doesn't mean that is the main agenda.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
My issue is this whole PC things has become a like a religion with it's own brand of extresmism and fundamentalism.. IMHO ending that part, and allowing people to just "get on" with each other is the bit I agree with..

As for those who claim our heritage and identity is not being erased, you need look no further than the Bonfire Societies..

The Bonfire Council here took the case to UNESCO to get protection from our Gov constantly trying to end the events by putting unreasonable costs/legal obligations in the way..

So while French cooking gets international protection, our heritiage gets none, soon we'll be a nation of pretty houses but no soul...

How have immigrants tried to stop bonfires?

I don't know much about bonfire societies to be honest, but aren't the regulations comming from the E.U, or health and safety executive?
I don't see what it has to do with a so called failed multi-cultural society

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
I think the OP is referring to comments made by UK Prime minister David Cameron, he is claiming multiculturalism has failed.

www.google.com...

"Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism," Cameron said. "A passively tolerant society says to its citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. It stands neutral between different values. "A genuinely liberal country does much more. It believes in certain values and actively promotes them.... It says to its citizens: this is what defines us as a society."

I actually think we need to read between the lines here. How will this 'much more active, muscular liberalism' and 'actively promoting' values manifest itself and affect everyone? This sounds like orwellian double speak to me, a truly liberal society that forces people to conform?!

Just because a politician appears to be talking about multiculturalism doesn't mean that is the main agenda.

the OP never mentioned anything about cameron's speach.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

Sorry you have put the cart before the horse. Britain was divided before multiculturalism. It was divided on purely racial grounds when people came from the Commonwealth (British) to the Motherland and met hatred and violence>

Multiculturalism was a social movement to integrate the country by highlighting the benefits of the immigrants coming to the UK and acknowledging their cultures.

What do we have:
We have vibrant cities where people generally mix happily;
We have the biggest street carnival in Europe (too damn big for me);
We have Black British soldiers loyal to queen and country;
We have black sportman and loyal followers;
We have fusion cuisine and some of the most exciting cookery in the world.
(no more boiled to death cabbage)

I could go one but I think you could get my drift.

The only problem is a handful of fundamentalist moslems. Guess what? That wasthe real thrust of Salmon chops’s speech. He is hoping to rebuild the british identity to be inclusive but a place where fundamentalist Jihadis will not take root.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Well this being the 'breaking political news forum' and Cameron's speech about the end of multiculturalism in britain just being reported in the news...I put 2 and 2 together .

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

I didn't make Any reference to colour, don't know why your mentioning that.. And er not all Brits are White.
My point is.. People like me who have been born here, get up at 5am to work, 6 days a week.. Have to pay sky high rent, struggle just to live and pay high taxes so someone can come here, get off a boat.. Never contribute to the country, get free house and money instantly.. I try to get a council property which the rent is a third the price of privately rented, I get told I have no chance..
Don't get me wrong, I do t blame the immigrants of course they will take it.. I blame the government for allowing it to happen..
How many other countries around the world will allow this to happen, not many, I can tell you that!!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Man I hear ya! I also have a strong work ethic. Surely you have heard known racists bashing multiculturalism. We are in no dispute on why we should all work. There is still dignity in working as opposed to scrounging.

However how many countries had an empire "that the sun did not set upon"?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

PC is not multiculturalism. We should all protect our own festivals. I think that there is no case for those who do not fight for their own cultural expressions. As you know I have been to the Lewes firefestival and loved it. Why have a festival and maintain it passively. If you want to maintain your festivals step up and fight for them. I am not attacking you but just pointing it out.

There were a few people in blackface that looked a bit sheepish but I did not feel any racism and saw no hostility.

Best wishes

T

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

Allow me to give you the quote and link. I should not have had to do so but there ya go.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

Here are slamon chops's quotes. Draw your own conclussions.

"Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism," the Prime Minister will say. While a "passively tolerant" society allows its citizens to do what they like, so long as they do not break the law, a genuinely liberal country "believes in certain values and actively promotes them," Mr Cameron will say. "Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights, regardless of race, sex or sexuality. "It says to its citizens: This is what defines us as a society. To belong here is to believe these things. "Each of us in our own countries must be unambiguous and hard-nosed about this defence of our liberty.

edit on 5-2-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
What about the impact British impact on America, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Singapore and other places around the world? Is it reasonable to expect you can influence other nations without being influenced yourself?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join