It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weaponized synthetic smallpox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
homelandsecuritynewswire.com...

S..... intense debate among scientists about whether these last remaining samples should be destroyed; proponents of destruction say the remaining cultures may one day be used as bioweapons, while opponents of destruction say that destroying the cultures would not make any difference because terrorists could develop synthetic smallpox virus to use as weapon

Ive been reading up on synthetic smallpox and was going through some links and copy pasted docs.. thought Id share and hopefully get a convo going again on it.. since the last thread there has been more research and etc

I had this in a doc from somewhere.. I kept it without the source unfortunately :

This would be a good project for terrorists or totalitarian governments looking for an alternative to making nuclear weapons. In theory, it is remarkably easy. First, they synthesise a small amount of the smallpox virus DNA chemically. Then, they infect cells with another poxvirus and shortly afterwards transfect the synthetic smallpox virus DNA into the infected cells. As the infection proceeds, the poxvirus replicates its own DNA and makes new virus particles as usual. This DNA is packaged into the particles to complete the replication process. However, at the same time, the synthetic smallpox virus DNA is also recognised by the genetic system of the other poxvirus. So the synthetic smallpox virus DNA is also replicated and smallpox virus particles are made, based on the synthetic smallpox virus DNA, but using the genetic mechanisms of the other poxvirus. The newly made smallpox virus DNA is packaged into the newly made smallpox virus particles, which results in live, that is infectious, smallpox virus.

Discuss???

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I know at one time we had developed a level of resistance to smallpox, since its been eradicated I wonder if we lost it?
In any case I'm sure we wouldn't have any resistance to weaponized smallpox.
I know some of the most horrible pictures I've ever seen are pictures of people who had smallpox.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

This would be a good project for terrorists or totalitarian governments looking for an alternative to making nuclear weapons. In theory, it is remarkably easy. First, they synthesise a small amount of the smallpox virus DNA chemically. Then, they infect cells with another poxvirus and shortly afterwards transfect the synthetic smallpox virus DNA into the infected cells. As the infection proceeds, the poxvirus replicates its own DNA and makes new virus particles as usual. This DNA is packaged into the particles to complete the replication process. However, at the same time, the synthetic smallpox virus DNA is also recognised by the genetic system of the other poxvirus. So the synthetic smallpox virus DNA is also replicated and smallpox virus particles are made, based on the synthetic smallpox virus DNA, but using the genetic mechanisms of the other poxvirus. The newly made smallpox virus DNA is packaged into the newly made smallpox virus particles, which results in live, that is infectious, smallpox virus.

Source is www.proz.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

What legitimate reason can there be for anyone to store smallpox virus? Doesn't the fact that the United States admits to having biological weapons prove that it is terrorist? By what right do governments destroy people's health? I've been reading Sue Mansfield's book "The Gestalts Of War: An Inquiry into its Origins and Meanings as a Social Institution" again because it's the best overview of colonial aggression that I know about. One thing I'm sure of is that all warfare has been waged by the descendants of yellow and orange-haired Egyptians who began taking over the world about fifteen thousand years ago after they destroyed the Sahara Rainforest where they lived through farming so they could raise captive animals to have sex with from birth.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Keeping the smallpox virus is a must because we don't know what disease by what vector is out there waiting to cross species. By having the smallpox virus, we might be able to stop a disease that would otherwise blaze around the world in fairly short order. If someone would manufacture the virus as described, it might be our last best hope of survival.
But it seems like such a lot of work considering there are other knowns with no cure and massive mortality "out there", like Ebola, Lassa, and any number of viral hemorrhagic fevers. Why bother with DNA when every bodily secretion, therefore easily aerosolized, from an Ebola (Zaire) victim has an almost 90% mortality?
I have a scar on my shoulder when I was vaccinated, and would gladly do it again. Just because we have a live (but frozen) virus is not anything like admitting bioweapons. It shows we are working on saving lives by studying disease. It was this same study that rid the world of smallpox, and most of the world of polio, measles, and all the other nasties out there.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

In 1969 Richard Nixon officially ended the U.S. biological weapons program ordering factories to be closed and stockpiles to be destroyed: But, Today there are hundreds more laboratories than there were when the United States had a Secretary Of War now producing synthetic microbes at corporations like Merck, universities like Northwestern and government factories like the 1200-acre Fort Detrick Biological Weapons Program renamed the National Cancer Institute-Frederick, U.S. Army Medical Research and Material Command, U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases and National Interagency Biodefense Campus where the Ames Strain Anthrax that John Rockwell used to send letter bombs out in 2001 was created. The practice of murdering with microbes can be traced back to the Teutonic Crusade in Europe between 1347 - 1351 when the yellow and orange-haired, albino, African occupiers of Europe catapulted rotting corpses at the dark-haired, barrel-chested, muscular, white-skinned, woodman, peasant, indigenous European Neanderthal Slavs. And numerous hand-written letters from the summer of 1763, during the Ottawa Chief Pontiac's Rebellion, preserved on microfilm at the U.S.Library of Congress, called the British Manuscript Project, prove that the English descendants of the Egyptian ruling class used microbes against the indigenous tribespeople of Terrapin Island, the continent that outsiders mistakenly refer to as North America. I have excerpted the following quotations from Peter d'Errico's article "Amherst and Smallpox" from the website:www.nativeweb.org... www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/amherst/lord_jeff.html On June 25th, 1763, Colonel Henry Bouquet wrote to Lord Jeffrey Amherst "...that Vermine...have forfeited all claim to the rights of humanity. I would rather chuse (sic) the liberty to kill any Savage". In a letter Amherst wrote on July 9th, 1763 to Sir William Johnson, the Superintendent of the Northern Indian Department, he ordered "...the Total Extirpation of those Indian Nations".+++++ On July 13th, 1763 Amherst ordered Bouquet to "...inocculate (sic) the Indians".+++++ On July 16th, 1763 Amherst wrote to Bouquet "Extirpate this Execrable Race". On July 26th, 1763 Bouquet wrote Amherst "...all your directives will be observed". On August 7th, 1763 Amherst wrote George Croghan, the Deputy Agent for Indian Affairs "Their Total Exterpation is scarce sufficient Attonement". On August 27th, 1763 Amherst wrote Sir William Johnson again telling him to "...put a most Effectual Stop to their very being". And from an article "Fact checking Mini-Indian smallpox blankets" on the Eugene Lang College website talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/763264-fact-checking-mini-indian-smallpox-blankets.html [url=http://www.talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/763264-fact-checking-mini-indian-smallpox-blankets.html]http://www.talk.collegeconfidential. com/parent-cafe/763264-fact-checking-mini-indian-smallpox-blankets. I have excerpted the following passage from the journal of the Commander of the Pittsburgh militia William Trent's journal written on May 24th, 1763: " The Turtle Heart a principle Warrior of the Delawares and Mamaltee a Chief came...had prevailed on 6 Nations...time to go...they desired we set out immediately...The Commanding Officer (of Fort Pitt, the Swiss mercenary Captain Ecuyer) thanked them...+++++let them know we could defend against all the Indians in the Woods, that we had three large armys (sic) marching to Chastise those Indians that had struck us, told them to take care of their Women and Children, but not to tell other Natives+++++...they returned...Out of our regard for them we gave them two blankets and an Handkerchief out of the Small Pox Hospital . I hope it will have the desired effect". The United States is going to use its new synthetic smallpox the same way it used its chemical weapons in WWl and its atomic weapons in WWll to commit crimes against humanity.

edit on 22-2-2011 by ChiefHuntingBear because: typographical error

edit on 22-2-2011 by ChiefHuntingBear because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2011 by ChiefHuntingBear because: typographicl error

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Small pox inoculations are covers for the administration of Variola -- the genetic imprint of the Zeta Reticulians.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Small pox inoculations are covers for the administration of Variola -- the genetic imprint of the Zeta Reticulians.

I don't want to sound ignorant but you leave me no choice...what does this mean?

I am lost and dazed where no light shines on your post...help me understand this.

new topics

top topics

join