It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Oh, I don't focus on negative things like that." What? Blissful ignorance while everyone else

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Indeed, Jaxon.

The problem is they know something is going on, and they are too cowardly to face it...

reply to post by JaxonRoberts

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Their catch-22 is that they chose a positive reality, but their reality is fictional.

And when the truth hit's their glass house, it shatters into a thousand chards, and along with it, their sanity.

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

If you can manifest your reality, you can certainly manifest a NEGATIVE reality!

That's why some people choose to not be pessimists.

It's those who only see the negative side of life that are doomed to be trapped in that cycle.

edit on 16-1-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Yes these people are indeed the epitome of self centred ignorance.
The world collapses around them, children starve, people have their houses and jobs pulled from under their feet and all they can do is say "well at least I have my health" or "cheer up it might never happen"
Well let me give you some news, it IS happening, it just hasn't happened to you yet.

If these people were just ineffectual idiots that did no harm then it would be ok, but the fact is they are taking up space and resources that could be used by people that could see that there is something wrong and actually do something about it rather then "looking on the bright side" and doing nothing at all.

Whats more they then have the damn cheek to blame things on us normal sane negative people by telling us we are "projecting negative energy" or some such other new age nonsense

They are oxygen thieves of the highest order and should be culled like lame horses

That is all

edit on 16-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, slov.

It is best to find a balance I support, but one must first wake up before they can find their balance.

Originally posted by SlovenlyGhost
Yup, when you ignore are problem it only grows worse.
Wouldn't say it's negative when your discussing it or trying to figure out some way to solve it.

But I think sometimes you need to take a break from it all because it can make you negative about the world u live in.Ignorance is bliss and I'd say it's needed sometimes.

After all you only live once...enjoy it while you can.There will always be an abundance of world problems.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Great post, Dave! I couldn't have said it better.

Starred!

Originally posted by davespanners
If these people were just ineffectual idiots that did no harm then it would be ok, but the fact is they are taking up space and resources that could be used by people that could see that there is something wrong and actually do something about it rather then "looking on the bright side" and doing nothing at all.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I have to imagine that's how the Elite think. I understand the frustration, but tearing down the majority of humanity is in turn tearing yourself down.

Originally posted by davespanners

They are oxygen thieves of the highest order and should be culled like lame horses

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Excellent post.

I see this a lot in my daily life too and it saddens me. But we are all like that to a degree. If you've ever felt a rising anxiety in your heart when somebody you're debating makes some pretty substantial arguments, then this same effect is happening with you. The denial machinery is starting to kick in. We're all guilty of it.

I think there's a point in the life of everybody who's sincerely interested in the sort of ideas discussed on this board, where they have to consciously make a commitment to truth over comfort. Because we are faced with that dilemma all the time. In fact it's a lifelong, never-ending battle. Accepting an uncomfortable truth is always painful, no matter how often you've done it before, but it is always the right thing to do.

Yes, right thing to do. There are moral implications. Nobody, regardless of religion or lack thereof, who takes morality seriously, can deny that truth is always to be preferred over falsehood. In fact a commitment to the truth above all else is the number one rule of morality, and everything else follows from it. For if falsehood is to be given any ground for any reason whatsoever, everything else breaks apart logically.

Say what you will about "delusional Christians", but they cannot possibly think they are delusional. Say what you will about "delusional atheists", but they cannot possibly think they are delusional. Of course, whether such individuals are genuinely, courageously committed to the truth is another question. Everybody thinks they are living in truth. But if you don't frequently experience the ego pain of doubting cherished beliefs, then sorry to say, but you are not.

Truth-commitment takes courage. The right path is never the easy path. But those who travel it know rewards that those who cower away will never understand and will even scorn.

S&F.

P.S. Read my sig.

edit on 16-1-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Your right Virt....

the world is up to it's knees in #.......

" Stella hands Virtuoso a shovel "

one at a time bro, .... one at a time.

skov is on the case.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
You can focus on the negative aspects of the world in a positive fashion.

You may be touched by some suffering you see on the news, and be inspired to help.

It may also make you appreciate what you've got, and realise that most of the ''problems'' that you waste a good part of your life worrying over, aren't really worth bothering about.

This would have a positive effect on your own well-being, and may also have a positive knock-on effect on those close to you.

And yes, saying you ''don't spend your time worrying about negative things'' is a selfish cop-out !

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Yes, yes, yes! I love my sister dearly, but when I try to discuss anything with her, she always says, "I don't discuss religion, or politics....."

Unfortunately, to her, everything I want to discuss except the basics (TV, her grandkids, etc.) falls under those two categories, lol.
Because that's the excuse she makes when she doesn't want to hear stuff.

I keep trying though. Even though some of the people that know me (and see how I've changed) think I'm nuts.

edit on 16-1-2011 by sezsue because: Just because I can....

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

You obviously have issues if you're going to spend so much time attacking people who don't share your negative outlook on life.

Not everyone has time to focus on the negative like you do.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

It's not about FOCUSING on the negative things in life......

It's about ACCEPTING them, ..... and not being oblivious to the suffering.

Not turning a blind eye, .... and helping when one can.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

That seriously happened to me today. Ego pain. Such ego pain admitting to myself and others that I have been studying something the wrong way for more than a decade. It opens up opportunities for new understandings and broadens my scope of study. But it hurts.

It is unpleasant. I think generally people don't like to see an understanding that they've woven over time unravel suddenly before them, meaningless. I'm exaggerating a little, maybe, but isn't that what it's like when something you believe starts to seem false to you? There's like a belief barrier, and it's difficult to get through (almost never by choice), but when you do it's like "omfg!"

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue
Yes, yes, yes! I love my sister dearly, but when I try to discuss anything with her, she always says, "I don't discuss religion, or politics....."

Yes! Why is it religion and politics are 'taboo' topics? They're probably among the most important things we could talk about. It's philosophy really. Can we not talk about philosophy?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
well thats pretty poetic...

I simply say "I dont really care".

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
People will listen to what they want to hear. You have to be in the right situation to become a conspiracy theorist. Not just have joe blow come up and give you the 411 on whats going down.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I aggree!
Keeping the mind artificially optimistic and happy is an escape, just like resigning into fear, distress and apathy...
Both strategies just give into the dualistic thinking that gives energy to the eternal (?) wheel of hunt for power, money, sex, love or whatever the name of the game...
Reality lies beyond that!
Conceptualizing only creates prisonbars for your mind...
Everything is exactly what it is, and we don´t need to flee into small caves of misconception...
We have to be aware and wake up to reality!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It's difficult to tread a happy medium.
I've known people literally stick their fingers in their ears as in 'I'm not listening la la la..'. and run away.
But almost as bad are those sorry individuals who can't see any good anywhere.

Aside from conspiracy theories, there is clearly a lot of suffering in the world. The average person knows this but it is easier not to think of it when one feels powerless to do anything about it. Ie we don't all have money or relevant skills to throw at the third world. So we do nothing. Much easier to fix on one's own reality.

Me I'm poor by UK standards but very aware that I live the life of a millionaire by other peoples terms. I feel deprived and guilty at the same time! How to square the issues, that's the problem.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Just after watching the short film "The American Dream" with my girlfriend, I look at her and ask, "So, what do you think about that? The federal reserve is definitely stealing our taxes." She counters,"Baby..I just don't care.." How can we possibly "wake the masses" if most people just don't care? It's not enough to inform someone anymore, you have to completely change their thought process and MAKE them care, and apparently the theft of our taxes isn't enough for some.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I don't discuss anything esoteric unless I feel the other person(s) would be receptive and/or understanding.

Negativity aside, I have noticed that I am *met with* much negativity, as well as shock and confusion simply for living a somewhat "alternative" lifestyle.

No, nothing exotic
Boring really, for the most part. I am seen as *strange* simply because I chose not to go down the path of house in the 'burbs, Corporate Paper Pusher Job, 2.5 kids, SUV, cheering on the locally preferred Sports Team.

Because *I chose not to* go down this path I am met with everything ranging from bewilderment to outright hostility.

OK? And that's not engaging in discussion, it's hostility just for being who you are. And - even 'who you are' is nothing overly odd - it is just *not them* - so I guess that is what pisses them off?

It is seen as "rejection" of what they chose, I suppose.

People can be jealous as well - of those with intelligence. Or those who are intelligent enough to even try to question things and seek a different path. They may be jealous of the "courage of your convictions", wish they had sought another path, etc.

It is not easy to 'go against the grain'. You are met with hostility.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join