It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremely deformed Moose shot of sympathy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Reference link (Norwegian) www.dagbladet.no... er/14968750/

It was outside vaagan country, Nordland in Norway that a moose was found with extremely long cloves. It was very clear that the animal had lived in constant agony so it was killed.
About 9 inch long cloves is beyond unatural for a Moose, this was backed up by an experienced hunter that had seen this before, but never so brutally. Another strange thing about this case is the weight and the balance a moose needs to be standing up alone should make it impossible for it to survive for so long.

The explanation so far is mineral or vitamin deficiency.

It seems like an anomaly since this is just not right at all. If you study the pictures the legs doesnt seem kapable at all to varry such a big animal.
edit on 6-1-2011 by lost artistic because: very pathethic typo

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lost artistic

That's pretty sad
. Did they kill it and leave it or take it with them?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Theonlywoody

There was no direct information about that part, but since it was shot by hunters i'm guessing it's not gonna be going to waste

Here's another case in the US

abnormal hooves

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost artistic

Reference link (Norwegian) www.dagbladet.no... er/14968750/

It was outside vaagan country, Nordland in Norway that a moose was found with extremely long cloves. It was very clear that the animal had lived in constant agony so it was killed.
About 9 inch long cloves is beyond unatural for a Moose, this was backed up by an experienced hunter that had seen this before, but never so brutally. Another strange thing about this case is the weight and the balance a moose needs to be standing up alone should make it impossible for it to survive for so long.

The explanation so far is mineral or vitamin deficiency.

It seems like an anomaly since this is just not right at all. If you study the pictures the legs doesnt seem kapable at all to varry such a big animal.

Not cloves, hooves.

Try this link for a translation:

A moose fed too much starch or one having recovered from Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) can get laminitis, aka founder, giving it sore feet. This causes the animal to walk on the pasterns instead of the toes, resulting in lengthening and upward curling of the hooves. Once the hooves start curling upward here is no wear on them, so they just keep growing without abrading away.

The meat from an animal like this should still be safe to eat.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I saw the hoove thing a little to late after editing the text for some typos but forgot that one.

I know about the disease, but it is still just an explanation since the area were the moose was found deficiency in minerals and vitamins would have to affect more than just one. Might be a birth defect since any expert says it would be impossible to function for so many years with that much deformation

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Could they not simply put the moose under
remove access hoof, file them down and give it some rehab and then let it go?
I mean it looks quite young. they help animals with problems all the time.
Agh,to just kill it,

Just say'n

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost artistic
I saw the hoove thing a little to late after editing the text for some typos but forgot that one.

I know about the disease, but it is still just an explanation since the area were the moose was found deficiency in minerals and vitamins would have to affect more than just one. Might be a birth defect since any expert says it would be impossible to function for so many years with that much deformation

Where do you get that "any expert says" stuff?

It takes years for hooves to grow that long, so obviously the moose has functioned for years with this problem.
It's not even a terribly rare problem, which is why I can explain to you what's probably happened.
Any vet experienced in ungulates would be able to tell you the same. Many hooved animals with this problem live just fine with it, because they gradually adapt as the hooves grow.

top topics

join