It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Put-Upon Victims Forced to Wait in Line for Freebies or Even Pay Their Own Bills

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Imagine my surprise.

Here we have a lovely, out of work lady denied assistance in paying her heating bills. She was denied after four whole hours in line, too! She also needed help paying for her cable bill, see pic below!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb8ee8ce0bc0.jpg[/atsimg]

WOODY MARSHALL/THE TELEGRAPH Showing her Georgia Power bills in the one warm room of her home, Raymeica Kelly explains how her mother, sister and herself were turned away from the Energy Assistance Program on Wednesday morning after standing in line for four hours. All three complained that the system the Macon-Bibb County Economic Opportunity Council uses to give out the assistance needs improving.

Now, the reason I have an issue with helping this lovely out-of-work lady?

Her TV is bigger than mine!

But I'm sure that her X-Box games (with wireless modem for X-Box Live) look freakin' awesome on that 52" Flatscreen TV!!

Perhaps I should take a lesson on personal irresponsibility? I'm sure those of you ATS-ers who are not "rightwingers" will line up to help this poor, poor woman, right?

Hahahahahaahahaa!
edit on 29-12-2010 by Califemme because: 52 inch, not 52 foot TV

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
lol!!! I dint even notice that till a second look. Now Im all for helping those in need cause Ive been needy too during hard times. But come on, that tv and x box and games will bring in a chunk of change at the local pawn shop...ive done it to pay bills.Weve sold anything of value to take care of ourselves, then times got better and I got a bigger tv and a playstation! hahaha

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Califemme

*snip* SHE WANTED MY MONEY TO PAY HER CABLE BILL??? WHAT a JOKE!!!! CABLE IS A LUXURY NOT A NECESSITY!!!! I'm glad they saw this *snip*For the fraud she is!!!! It"s atrocious!!!! I can't even get cable for myself, but I am paying for her fat LAZY A to sit in a *snip* bigger, nicer home than mine with a bigger tv than mine with her xbox and her "kicks" while I toil to send my money to slugs like this,*snip*???????!!!!!!!

*snip*!DISGUSTING!!!!

In fact I would like her mailing address to send a nice letter from all of us taxpayers who bust our butts and don't have a third of what our money is giving her for nothing at all, BOO *snip* HOOO!!!!

edit on 29-12-2010 by ldyserenity because: I needed to add stuff

edit on 30-12-2010 by gallopinghordes because: to insulting remarks and censor circumvention

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Yes, but she needs the programming, without the programming provided by the programming box, she will not know what to think. She may even..................have to pick up a BOOK!

How AWFUL would that be?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

Amazing "personal responsibility" issues you have. You should see a shrink to try fix them!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

These type of assistance programs are in place to help those in time of need. All thought cable is a luxury and they would normally refuse this type of assistance the heating is another issue. And they often help with major utilities.

Point number one is that the article sates they had some of their funding cut. This has happened all across the board in the current economy. Also they have a limited set of funds for the month, ya know a budget?. Anyways certain months in which it cannot be typically foreseen they have a major influx on people needing help. Funds just run out
Second issue. Just because she has fancy stuff at her house dont mean she aint broke, out of a job or lost a job, or whatever. Sure she should probly get rid of cable and pawn the TV to make payments on her utilities. But regardless just because you have ssome nice stuff does not always mean your well off. I know alot about these programs because i have had to use them from time to time in the last 5 years.

Thirdly she could just be trying to scam the system. And that is a sad possibility, But you cant really tell without personal info and details about her finances and living situation, some of which, are asked for to be provided by alot of these same kind of assistance agencies.

edit on 29-12-2010 by djmolecular because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Those who are not scammers, generally get scammed by the system, those who are scammers generally have the system working for them.

edit on 29-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Reality still hasn't set in for most people. Normalcy bias is what's perpetuating this type of sideways thinking like we see in this article. I don't think people understand that 'play-time' is over and that they should be seriously re-thinking how they plan on surviving in the future sans money,modern conveniences and easy access to food.

Soon,if all goes as it looks like it will,there won't be any X-Box,Plasma TVs,utility service or jobs to worry about. Quality of life is steadily degrading as the whole system slides in 'slo-mo' over the cliff. A lot of people are going to be caught off guard. A lot of people are going to fall by the wayside;they simply aren't going to make it. They refuse to or cannot see what's coming and, therefore, don't prepare for it. Everyone thinks the game will continue as it always has no matter how bad things get.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Starred and flagged!

Excellent catch Califemme. Is that not outrageous?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

when i was young it was hard to learn about money. we did spend the wrong way, but with time we have become responsible . we are now pretty secure so I deserve my 73 inch mitsubishi paid for in cash (credit is evil lesson 1).Im just saying.people have differrent circumstances come along. I dont mind helping people stay warm. cable i dont agree with.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

It's truly disgusting that she's upset with the Macon-Bibb County Economic Opportunity Council.

"They are the bastards who did this to her. We ought to help her track them all down wherever those council people live. We can picket and riot till her bills get paid!!" /crazy sarcasm

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Califemme
Imagine my surprise.

Here we have a lovely, out of work lady denied assistance in paying her heating bills. She was denied after four whole hours in line, too! She also needed help paying for her cable bill, see pic below!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb8ee8ce0bc0.jpg[/atsimg]

Her TV is bigger than mine!

But I'm sure that her X-Box games (with wireless modem for X-Box Live) look freakin' awesome on that 52" Flatscreen TV!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe6c1b6ee5a4.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Califemme
reply to post by ldyserenity

It's truly disgusting that she's upset with the Macon-Bibb County Economic Opportunity Council.

"They are the bastards who did this to her. We ought to help her track them all down wherever those council people live. We can picket and riot till her bills get paid!!" /crazy sarcasm

I think she better keep her eye on the skys before someone lands a house on her!LMAO

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by djmolecular

Yes, they had their funding cut. But imagine what is in the homes of those people who DID get the assistance.

Entitlement. It's all the rage!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

HA LIKE THAT PIC!!!

I remember selling all of our stuff off(wasn't much to begin with) Leaving our rental home to live with FRIENDS in PHILLY because we had absolutely no way of getting a job in NJ as they made it impossible for either of us to drive anywhere in that state and nobody will hire you if you haven't got a active license, and we needed the help after selling all our crap and getting a whopping maybe $150 off of the stuff we did have, and being turned down, literally we were homeless and turned down. Both of us worked hard and paid thousands into the system, but they bailed on us!!!! I do not feel an ounce of pity. Like another poster said, those who need it always seem to get the S***Y end of the stick and those who take advantage have the system bending over and kissing their A*****! Some day some day the dollar will be no more and we'll be eating these people ala carte to survive. They do have plenty of weight to them!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon
Reality still hasn't set in for most people. Normalcy bias is what's perpetuating this type of sideways thinking like we see in this article. I don't think people understand that 'play-time' is over and that they should be seriously re-thinking how they plan on surviving in the future sans money,modern conveniences and easy access to food.

Soon,if all goes as it looks like it will,there won't be any X-Box,Plasma TVs,utility service or jobs to worry about. Quality of life is steadily degrading as the whole system slides in 'slo-mo' over the cliff. A lot of people are going to be caught off guard. A lot of people are going to fall by the wayside;they simply aren't going to make it. They refuse to or cannot see what's coming and, therefore, don't prepare for it. Everyone thinks the game will continue as it always has no matter how bad things get.

I know, and it's about to hit the fan. Those of us who preach personal responsibility will be made to "suffer" because we have chosen to prepare and take care of ourselves and our families. Obama will see to it, I'm sure. Good thing we Americans are allowed our guns

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe6c1b6ee5a4.jpg[/atsimg]

LOL!! Good job!

Flat screen TV = $1,000

X-Box 360 + 2 games = $400

Getting taxpayers to pay your heating bill?

Priceless

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
More likely the TV and Xbox were stolen or bought with drug money.

I have seen many times where people on welfare had fancy cars that no way they could afford on welfare.

Many times the cars were in other people names as they knew that the state would wonder where they got the money(drug dealing).

I many cases these ladies have live in boyfriends that are criminals, drug dealers and if there boyfriends get busted they take care of the boyfriends property and car while the boyfriend is in jail.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Tell you what, if i had gone out and worked and bought the tv and Xbox from the money i earned from a wage - I wouldnt sell them as soon as i couldnt pay my bills - Not if i was actively looking for work. Whats the point? You'd sell for half they're worth, then when you get a job, you will most likely seek to re-aquire those items which takes time and well, money.

I cant believe you people expect her to sell her stuff to pay a greedy gas company - I'm sure they'll survive without the money she owe's them for the time being.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I know, and it's about to hit the fan. Those of us who preach personal responsibility will be made to "suffer" because we have chosen to prepare and take care of ourselves and our families. Obama will see to it, I'm sure. Good thing we Americans are allowed our guns

Unfortunately you have to watch out for Anti-Hoarding activities by the government. This article explains that while there is no specific FEDERAL law against Anti-Hoarding there are Executive Orders and State Laws. In the case of a "Civil Emergency" FEMA has the right to confiscate or DESTROY hoards.
www.millennium-ark.net...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join