It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defence against the psychopath

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I was joking about the psychopath part

I understand what you have said, and for the most part I agree with, but you can't exclude certain individuals from the "human" race merely because they exhibit the most primal human desires. There is no scale of "good" and "bad" in a universal sense either, everyones moral perceptions differ even in the slightest. What is good for you, may be bad for me. Having said that, I believe every human being exhibits psychopathic traits to certain extents.

I can see many people on this forum itself, from atheists to the religious, from the cynics to the spiritual, from the alien believers to the skeptics; who exhibit very obvious psychopathic traits. The only people I have met that failed to express obvious psychopathic traits(in the "real world") were very non-argumentative for the most part, very naive, and very emotionally sensitive. This is weak. Yes, I am not sympathising with the true psychopath, but this is weak in a world where the majority exhibit psychopathic tendencies.
edit on 24-12-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

It seems to me that with thought placed on evolution, that this is a pure desire for self-gain and propagation of their own individual genes. The most obvious purpose for human life without all the spiritual assumptions.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
thank god i'm a psychopath, otherwise i would just be a victim

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

The universe is constantly evolving and so to is our understanding of what is right/wrong, good/bad. I already explained that...I thought.

I trust you understand that the reason psychopathy is so easily discernible in the people at this present time is not by chance, nor how it was but a few generations ago. It is in large part because this state of being has been systematically engineered into the people. We have forgot our morality to a large degree, and so are being given opportunities to relearn in, but it's the hard way. Many suffer, many perish, but overall there is balance, as our species has become quite "unfit".

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing

It seems to me that with thought placed on evolution, that this is a pure desire for self-gain and propagation of their own individual genes. The most obvious purpose for human life without all the spiritual assumptions.

I wonder if you would be willing to elaborate on this a bit. Are you equating "spiritual assumptions" with morality? Because we can objectively see that humanity works best when each member holds to a moral code. I see moral actions as aspects of spiritual understandings, without the need for assumptions. Here I refer to spirituality as merely being in service to others even if at the expense of self.
edit on 24-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have to disagree... you will always encounter people that have these traits... everyone has them.

I think he's generalizing quite a bit... Being human lies within such a huge spectrum, its not possible to generalize a definition of what is human and what is not.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

you are correct

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

It's not merely having some of them, it's being incapable to comprehend the value of servicing others at the expense of self. It's the inability to develop morality to any extent.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

A psychopath tries to reach the top of the food-chain, so that his "genes" are primary for a certain community, whereas "morality" aims to keep individual human beings on the same level of the food-chain, so yes, it does allow the entire human race as a whole to function on the same level, but morality is not a universal concepts.

There are certain instincts such as parent-bonding and family groups in the human race, but animals themselves have similar things. It seems to me that everyone is selfish (a psychopathic trait) as I have stated before, even the "moral" individuals.

A person helps someone else because it makes THEMSELF feel better. A person is nice to someone else, because it makes THEMSELF feel better at receiving niceties back, or even a pedestal-position when the person is not nice back "bastard, I was nice to him". People are nice to others due to the assumption that they would receive the same thing back. Those that commit seemingly purely "Selfless" acts do so only to allow their will be done, even in death. Another selfish act. Morality itself serves as a conceptual medium for ego-masturbation.

In a religious sense, individuals are nice to others simply because they expect that what they are doing is what their God/Gods demanded of them, in turn, they expect a reward.

By spiritual assumptions I meant religious beliefs and spirituality in general. These two things tend to have codes that dictate "moral" behaviour. I call them assumptions as they are not founded in science. I mean no disrespect with this.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

It's not merely the feeling. If you presume this is the only reason people do these acts which you define as purely selfish, something is a miss in your brain. People genuinely like to help others. Not because of the feeling, but in spite of it. There are many instances that people do things for others which cause the giver pain and suffering, rather than a positive feeling, out of instinctual and rational thought processes alone.

I ask you this, why has this feeling evolved within our species? Why does it exist in such high prevalence? It has evolved. The feeling has grown over the ages, obviously. Why? Because it benefits our species. It's not selfish towards the individual, it's selfish towards our species.
edit on 24-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

true,
and I shouldn't forget the power of words either,
I'd much rather measure the mind in terms of 'health' then 'pathology', etc.

-B.M

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Very good informative post.Sadly there are many out there. I have worked for a few. I may become like one when I drink too much
S&F Thanks and Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Shut off video.

I'd say the information is terrible and all the allusions with pictures of devils and famous political figures kind of ruin it.

I shut it off after the funeral example.

Just terrible.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
...for anyone thats got the time - heres an interesting video about psychopathy...

Google Video Link

edit on 12/24/10 by Wyn Hawks because: ...oooops, left a digit off, grrr...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

If people "genuinely" like to help others that would mean they enjoy it. Which means they are doing it solely because they enjoy doing it. Which comes back to the whole "selfish" thing. If you cannot see this then something must be missing in your brain.

Feeling has evolved in humanity because it enhances the learning ability of the male, among other things. I'm not arguing that emotions are unnecessary, i'm arguing that the notion that people help others selflessly is flawed, as they are all selfish acts, which emotion allows.

Pain is a superficial feeling. Suffering on the other hand, can be readily seen in individuals that help others in spite of the consequences,"selflessly". But you see, it doesn't eliminate the fact they enjoyed helping that person, so in this persons individual "moral" standards, he/she would feel better for it, regardless of the consequences. So in the end it is still a selfish act.

"want" is a selfish word. I "want" to help that person. That transforms the intent into a selfish action, because he would not do so if he did not want to do it. Every action is motivated by selfishness, some more pronounced than others.
edit on 25-12-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

YAY. I'm 60% Psychopath.

I'm Honored.

Let's see. Don't care when people die. Don't understand remorse or sadness. But I do understand joy and happiness. Also, I don't try to copy people. I make it full well known I don't feel many negative emotions other than anger.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You have a very skewed understanding of human nature and seem to have develop quite a few paramorals. I see no reason to continue discussing this topic with someone who is incapable of comprehending the difference between a selfless and selfish act. You have revealed your true self right here in this forum. I reject your paramorality on the basis of my constitutional intuitions alone. Your false reasoning is against my very being.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

The feel good factor. Endorphine rush.

The way I see it, everyone has the hard-ware for psychopathy. Endo-adrenal biochem mixtures released through the emotional or psychological response to life experiences, hard-wires the hardware. Each endo-adrenal power-rush further seperates the individual, the ability to empathise diminishes and the capacity for ruthlessness increases.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by teapot

The feel good factor. Endorphine rush.

The way I see it, everyone has the hard-ware for psychopathy. Endo-adrenal biochem mixtures released through the emotional or psychological response to life experiences, hard-wires the hardware. Each endo-adrenal power-rush further seperates the individual, the ability to empathise diminishes and the capacity for ruthlessness increases.

What is this gibberish you just wrote? You think that a mix of endorphines and adrenaline from experiencing emotional and psychological responses to life experiences takes us away from empathy ?! How does that even make the slightest bit of sense?

Man, there are so many messed up people on this site.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I would say 90% of the people in the US qualify as psychopathic.
I think we can thank violent television, games, music, movies for that. Basically, our society has been desensitized, and I think that is exactly what psychopaths are.

For example, In this society, if you are unlucky enough to be a man, and you collapse on a crowded street. There is an extremely high chance no one will help you and you will die. You aren't human to them... After all, how could they have seen men do in the media. Doesn't matter if its fictional, the subconscious has no choice but to believe what it is seeing.

Another example, could be people's pain. When someone falls down and gets hurt and experiences extreme pain (especially if they are male) we laugh at them.. Think about that... A sane society would feel for the other person and empathize with them and thus rush to help them. Of course, dehumanizing plays a huge role in these examples. However, would you not have to be psychotic to dehumanize?

edit on 25-12-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My daughter is married to a psychopath - they are separated but he comes around once in a while. She said he came by last night and just out of no where bloodied her face. He was talking nasty to her daughter and groped her daughters breast. She is afraid of him and changed the locks on her door but he is a con (there is a rumor that he killed someone in his lifetime - his own daughter said this in front of everyone 2 years ago). I fear for her life as I live in another state - if I hear of this again I am going to call law enforcement in her state and have them look into matters. He has this way of coming on really nice at first and complimenting everyone and then out of no where just gets crazy. I took care of this jerk for a year when he was recovering from Cancer and had a stem cell transplant. He was fine with me until he got well and then he started in on me. I moved and warned the family to be careful around him.

If you know of someone thats like this please take care - very dangerous!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
After watching this video twice, I honestly believe now is our time.

I constantly call them psychophants instead of sociopaths but this is what we live with.

Yes they are psychotic and they must be stopped before we are all in body bags.

It is quite sickening how they can even kill us yet convince the brainwashed to even BOTHER to put us in bodybags to haul off. I haven't asked questions alot, but I have one now...

Who is with me and OP?
The people of Iran, China, USA, France, Russia, Columbia, Guatemala, Brazil, Phillipenes, Japan, England, Bahamas, and Sudan.

Let us fight off this alien attack. I love this video.

Let true humans rise please...

...please

(sī-kŏ-fənt)

1. (n.) One who attempts to curry favor by flattering influential people, but does so to a psychotic, often violent degree.
edit on 12/25/2010 by pa.Frost because: In 3rd line the first they I mispelled it as "the" instead of "they."

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join