It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Day Niagara Falls Ran Dry (photo)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Nice pics. Just read the article from the op on another site before coming here. Have been to both sides twice. There was much more to see on the Canadian side, hav'nt been in a while though. A very powerfull thing to witness! By the way, there is a large "ufo" in your third pic
. Kidding of course.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
star and flag
great thread.

In a way diverting some water is helping to preserve the falls because the water is wearing them back a bit every year. So I'm guessing the reduced flow might slow that erosion down a bit.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Awsome pic of the frozen falls....What took millions of manhours to accomplish, nature managed to do practically overnight one winter hey......
Truely humbling stuff....

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I just thought I would show you the light show they do at night on the falls. This video was only taken with a little flip camera so it doesn't really do it justice, but still, you can get a tiny idea of how beautiful it can be. This is from the Canadian side. lol Sorry it is a little jumpy, but it isnt to bad! It might still be processing as I just uploaded it

edit on 17-12-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
Damn now I feel a bit guilty as its in the backyard here and we never go there because of the condition Niagara Falls city is in. My father was a firefighter for the city for 20 yrs I will have to see if I can dig up some pictures for your thread, they used to have to train for the situation of someone getting caught in the rapids and how to rescue them. He had a lot of cool shots of the ladder truck extended over the falls and such. And to see the true beauty of the falls you must be on the Canadian side thats were all the good views are at!!!

Niagara Falls on the US side is a joke and I could not agree more that the city there (whatever its name was) is just sorry. It is really just some rinky dink trash town with rundown buildings and not much going on. The only nice areas in that city are right near the falls and by the tourist hotels, which is an area of about 2 maybe 3 city blocks. It really is a shame that an area surrounded by such beauty would look like that. Thank God the Canadians knew what to do with their side of the Falls, it makes my trips there completely worthwhile and worth every cent I have ever spent there. I personally like to go to the Falls around mid to late February, and I hope for a little snow too. Last time I was there, which was several years ago, there was even a dog show in the area.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. The power of the Falls is nothing short of amazing, I had no idea the US side had dried up for a time, and the pic of the Falls frozen over was great too. Thanks for sharing. Prior to my first trip there, I really did not think I would be very impressed with water falling over a rock. Boy was a wrong!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Interestingly the falls recedes about two metres every year, I wonder how much it would be shifting if the hydro plants were not reducing the power of the flow?

Also interesting, (but not too interesting) is that about 1/3 of the Canadian (side) Horseshoe falls is in American territory.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e61c2a30ee0.gif[/atsimg]

Courtesy of USGS survey

NiagaraFallsLive.com

Regards S_G

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Does anybody remember this? I'm very surprised I found it.

I was watching the afternoon it happened, LIVE during a news segment. Totally blew me away, and I never forgot it. I haven't seen it since the day it happened, about 1983, I think. (first time I ever heard a news guy swear on TV, too.)

Edit: This must have been a pretty big story that day, as I think I was watching a different channel. When I watched it, the guy tossed off his shirt, and waved at the camera as he ran down the bank of the Falls. The newsman chased him for a second, until he jumped into the water and swam out. I think I was probably watching channel 7.
edit on 18-12-2010 by Dogdish because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join