It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1500 year old Christian church in Conneticut?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Zesko Whirligan

Thanks for the infurmation, it adds color to your picture.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
You might want to study a little anthropology, because the issue of complex societies is covered in 101. There's no mystery. ..............The issue here is the sha ped stones in Connecticut, if you have more reference material relating specifically to this site, please share it with us. I am not satisfied with unsupported rhetoric of someone whose credentials are a B.A. in history. The only thing certain about this site is it's presence which is documented by photographs, beyond that it is one man's supposition. The Connecticut State Parks and Forests does not even acknowledge it's existence. What makes you so sure it is anthromorphic?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Typically one does not tout a "BA" in the humanities or social sciences because it's not really that special. But, this does not mean that I'm sceptical! Also, not saying that to be rude, as I'm sure there are many people out there who have enough wits and self-taught knowledge to not need a postgraduate degree.

My vote: over the millenia, many sea-faring cultures from North Africa/Europe/Mediterranean have most likely, by accident or out of gumption, ended up on the coast of North America and the Caribbean. But, due to any random number of things that could occur after such a voyage, I would not be surprised if the survivors were either absorbed into the local Native groups where they landed or killed or died of natural causes before any sort of cultural "dent" could be caused by their arrival.

In the case of the church, I would say that it must have been a small group of people, though determined, whose children (though, would monks of that order be allowed to father children?) would have felt pressure to assimilate with the local native people (where their mothers would most certainly have originated seeing as how there is no mention of women taking the voyage). Eventually Great-grand-daddy's crazy belief about some guy on a cross far across the ocean would have been overshadowed by the more prevalent and inherent cultural beliefs of the tribes on the Atlantic coast.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by monkcaw

Here an essayist approaches the same local with a different interpretation:

A more prosaic alternative holds that this little plateau was the lunch site of quarrymen carving out blocks for railroad abutments and bridges little more than a century ago. In spare moments they doodled, practicing their mason skills to pass the time. Regardless of whether the carvings are the work of ancient monks or the graffiti of nineteenth century stonemasons, these primitive sculptures are both beautiful and intriguing.

It’s tempting to believe the more complex and antique (albeit bizarre)explanation because it adds a mystical allure to the site, though I can better imagine the quarry crew eating and swapping stories as they tried their talent. There is a magic in the juxtaposition of such different interpretations. In any event, the presence of these sculptures among the trees adds depth and texture to the landscape and elevates a simple walk in the woods with a mix of awe and wonder. davidkleff.typepad.com...

If this site is all it's cracked up to be, then some archaeological testing would surely produce some results. As is, we can't even find John Gallager's American Institute of Archaeological
Research

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join