It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lipstick, Heels, Makeup, Et al. - Why Are They Considered Girlish?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I don't know about the heels and dresses.

For makeup, I think original use of what we would consider "modern makeup" was not so much to beautify as it was to hide health and status issues. If you were rich you were healthy, plump and with good skin colour. If you were sick or poor, you were an outcast. There was a lot more emphasis on "looks" then than now.

Makeup, although not cheap, was able to level the planning field for lots of people.

Also, makeup was worn by both sexes, I imagine for very similar reasons. It hasn't been until recently that men wearing makeup was frowned upon.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Would you really want guys like this running around town?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I agree with this answer with the caveat that If someone wants to look good for me then its all good. haha. But, seriously, it really is just gender norms which are sexist by definition.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Women like to beautify themselves with things that attract mens attention.

Just so you know - women don't dress for men, they dress for themselves, to make themselves feel better, and they dress for other women for the most part. To look their best against the 'competition' if you will.

And this answers the topic also - as both examples (women dressing 'girly') and women dressing their best all covered in make up schmool is thanks to - in the greater part - by the manipulation of those doine the advertising.

There's a fantastic video about this subject and I so wish I hadn't lost all my bookmarks when my computer got fried. I'd post it if I could.

Great subject, if you look what's under the wrapping of the while 'girly' issue.

*Off to look for the video*...

peace

edit on 29-10-2010 by silo13 because: eek!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It always seemed to me they did it to be more attractive to each other.

All the fawning over outfits and ridiculous hair whatever and covering themselves with bozo makeup.

I've never cared who or what some girl was wearing. As long as you werent fat you've got my attention.

I dont know any heterosexual guy who does care. I've had this discussion many times over and over with many different males and females.

The end result is always we, as males, dont care (as long as you arent fat) and they as females just go on doing it and spending time talking about their outfits and masks to each other.

Maybe they used to do it for guys. Now they're just doing it for themselves or their peers or to emulate some TV personality.

Really, guys could not care less. Wear a burlap sack and shave your head for all I care. Just dont be fat.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Alice cooper, Elton john and others have used make up high heels and stockings to make them look good, so why not, if Joe namath can use them to make him run faster and keep his legs warm, and (yes it does keep your legs warm), then yes we should have the right to ware them with out the put downs or being called something you are not.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Just so you know - women don't dress for men, they dress for themselves, to make themselves feel better, and they dress for other women for the most part. To look their best against the 'competition' if you will.

As far as I can see, there are three reasons that women dress the way they do:

1. To attract/impress men.

2. To make their ''sisters'' jealous. The ''Queen B'' scenario.

3. To boost their self-esteem, or as you say, to make themselves feel better.

But, boosting self-esteem and making themselves feel better, is dependent upon being attractive to a man.

Their self-esteem gets boosted by ogles, glances, and general attention from men.

So, I think reason ''3'' is pretty similar to reason ''1'' - and ultimately it is down to attracting/impressing a man.

I've noticed that whenever a woman claims that she's dressing to ''make herself feel better'', that the way she dresses always correlates with what a man generally finds attractive; ergo, to make herself feel better, she needs to be found attractive by a man.

edit on 29-10-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Great subject, if you look what's under the wrapping of the while 'girly' issue.

*Off to look for the video*...

peace

edit on 29-10-2010 by silo13 because: eek!

Girly issue...yeah, that sums it up, that's pretty much it is.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by vaevictis

I don't know about you but I surely don't want to see a man's [snip]hanging out of the dress. The reason we don't use that stuff is because women look way better using it then us. You wouldn't put a woman at the bottom of the sewers, unless of course she was hideous or that was your fetish. Is it your fetish?! You're sick!
edit on 29-10-2010 by elevatedone because: Mod edit

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by vaevictis
Why are things such as makeup, heels, dresses, etc. perceived as girlish/womanly/etc. ? Why are men basically indoctrinated to stay away from the above? It appears to be a superficial issue, but is it really? What do you think?

From what I understand from a science channel like "Discovery" or some show like that...

Makeup: Lipstick is to show the reddish swelling of the lips and Vulva that takes place when a women is sexually aroused. The lips become reddish due to increased blood flow and this is picked up by the man at a subconscious level. Lipstick overpowers this response in men towards women and brings about an immediate response of interest.

Makeup: " Eyes- face " To focus attention and draw an intimate response. Pupils dilate to show arousal, cheeks redden as like a blush to indicate increased blood flow. men pick it up subconsciously and respond.

Heels: Heels cause more of a sway to the walk of a woman's stride bringing more attention to the hips and legs. The back of her legs becomes more rigid and indicates strength and agility. men are drawn to and made to focus on her legs and hips, especially when walking. Subconsciously he regards her as a healthy woman that could potentially have healthy children.

Put it all together and men have little chance of avoiding or missing a woman within his range of sight. Women seem to have the upper hand when it comes to affecting the opposite sex in a powerful way. Add to this, the clothes she wears ( not seductive or trashy), and her overall demeanor, you have the total woman no man can resist because most of it is going on at the subconscious level in men.

Men are not indoctrinated in that sense, they are simply hardwired to respond.

I hope that helps answer the question.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

I don't know about you but I surely don't want to see a man's hairy balls hanging out of the dress. The reason we don't use that stuff is because women look way better using it then us. You wouldn't put a woman at the bottom of the sewers, unless of course she was hideous or that was your fetish. Is it your fetish?! You're sick!

No, that fetish didn't occur to me. I would also find such a fetish incomprehensibly abhorrent.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You know, at one point in Scotland there was some horror at men's shortening kilts.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
You know, at one point in Scotland there was some horror at men's shortening kilts.

Well. You can't blame men for trying

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

When East was East and West was West, I was a student in East Germany. Make up was expensive and women were more likely to go without. When I came back to the UK, the sight of females with painted faces seemed very artificial. But then you get used to it again. And frankly as a female it's difficult. Go out 'nude' and people ask if you are feeling alright (useful for 'throwing a sicky' though).
I think if only we could have a make up free month, people would get used to their natural appearance and then we could ditch this silly habit.
As for heels, I can see how they make the calf more shapely - and you guys are such visual creatures! But even as a female, I hate them and wouldn't wear them. Too uncomfortable for me.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Here ya go - the documentary I was telling you about earlier in the thread.

THANK YOU THELOONY! (Who told me the name)!

Century of Self pt.1

A must watch for everyone!

Google Video Link

peace

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Women have been taught since ancient times to do everything she can to make herself appear more beautiful for the man. It's just another sexist practice, IMO.

Roman philosopher Plautus (254-184 BC) wrote, "A woman without paint is like food without salt."

www.authorsden.com...

Also, women aren't the only ones who have indulged in make up:

When women started wearing makeup, men typically used cosmetics as well. Both genders used a variety of substances to bring out their eyes, and many wore lipstick and rouge as well. Historically, many societies have also used various materials to lighten their skin,

www.wisegeek.com...

It's mostly a fashion statement, but underneath it all is the desire to be attractive for men.
Are you serious? I wear make up for myself, not some desire to be attractive for men, rofl. I dont date and am celibate, and I love make up.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know this lady wears it for herself, and no one else. I sometimes wear no make up at all, it depends upon my mood.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Perhaps some ladies wear all that stuff to attract a mate? what's known as the 'genetic imperative' the survival of the race.
In a pub last night, watching people as I like to do, plenty of people around in fancy dress, seeing as it was the Halloween party night, one young woman walked up to the bar, Blond, with a really nice outfit on, the woman serving
customers looked at the blond like she wished 'looks could kill' in real life, yep, you woman dress to impress other women, if the men are impressed, bonus!

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Its all to do with what is in fashion and what is not. In the past men as well as women wore makeup and high heells. Make up was worn on the face to hide a poor complexion and to hide pock marks caused by small pox.

Although it was probably true to say that it was the upper classes who could afford it who were the main users.

Fashion though does not seemed to have changed much for men in the last several decades.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Because girls/women wear them?

It's not like they have to. Society indoctrinates young girls into thinking that they must wear this, wear that in order to be attractive and capture the attention of a man.

That's probably why makeup, heels, etc are pointed towards women.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

LOL.

What's the point of wearing make-up for yourself, unless you are standing permanently in front of a mirror, or like the smell of it ?

You probably don't like to admit it, but you are wearing make-up to impress someone else, otherwise there would be absolutely no point in leaving the house wearing it !

There is no personal benefit to wearing make-up in public, unless it's useful in your interactions with other people. ie. to impress someone else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join