It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd New Monkey Found, Eaten

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

New Snub-Nosed Monkey Discovered, Eaten

Myanmar species sneezes uncontrollably when it rains, experts say.
National Geographic.

A new monkey species in Myanmar is so snub-nosed that rainfall is said to makes it sneeze—but that's apparently the least of problems.

The only scientifically observed specimen (pictured above) had been killed by local hunters the time researchers found it—and was eaten soon after. But local demand for monkey meat is only one reason the new species is already considered endangered.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/121802da1814.jpg[/atsimg]
------

The hunters told the team of R. strykeri's fleshy lips, upturned nose, and odd respiratory issue: Rain falling into the monkeys' noses possibly causes the animals to sneeze, so they often spend soggy days with their heads tucked between their knees, the hunters said.

What a beauty.
Alright, well it may not be the prettiest newly discovered species, but it's still cool.

Too bad "Snubby" was hunted and eaten. And how the rain makes it sneeze is just odd.

Oh I wish I had the money to go and explore area's where possibly new species of animals could be. For now, I'll just have to read about them.

-Enjoy =)

edit on 29-10-2010 by Oozii because: Added Source.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I have to say of all the monkey species that has to be one of the ugliest ive seen.

good find

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
He's kind of scary-looking.There's something just a little bit different than a typical monkey's face that makes him look a tad "evil"....

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Just wondering if anyone noticed the monkey's left hand.

He appears to be flipping 'the bird' to the people that most likely ate him.

Have there ever been any studies done about the people that eat monkey meat? I wonder if hunger forces them to do it, or if they just like to eat it? It is really a shame. I can't stand hearing about people eating dogs, I don't know how they can eat a species that is so much closer to us on the evolutionary ladder.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JonInMichigan

LOL, the resemblance is uncanny.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JonInMichigan

Thats not right
funny but not right....

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

New Snub-Nosed Monkey Discovered, Eaten

Ahhh the humanity, "discovered" and "eaten" in the same sentence.
Looks like an adolescent sasquatch!

spec

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
That monkey looks more like it has a skeleton nose instead of a snub nose. I would not want to run in to that thing in the middle of the night. I am curious to know if rainfall really makes it sneeze.
I hope the next one they find the local people will hold off on the bbq for a bit so they can do some research.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The nose is obviously not skeleton or snubbed... It's just the nose of Voldemort from Harry Potter.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Very interesting. And a little bit creepy looking. I agree that it does look slightly evil. I find it funny that so many scientists say that there can be no more large undiscovered mammals left to be discovered then something like this is found. Makes you wonder what else is living peacefully in some remote jungle or at the top of a mountain, doesn't it? Not to mention what might be waiting to be discovered in the great depths of the worlds oceans.

join