It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers Fired For Flirting With Students On Facebook

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Link to Article

They threw the Facebook at 'em.

At least three educators from city public high schools have been fired in the past six months for having inappropriate dealings with students on Facebook -- one of which culminated in a sexual relationship, The Post has learned.

One of the booted employees is former Bronx teacher Chadwin Reynolds, who "friended" about a half-dozen female students and wrote creepy comments like, "This is sexy," under some of their Facebook photos, schools investigators found.

Reynolds, a former Fordham HS for the Arts teacher, allegedly even tried to get one teen to go out with him by getting her phone number and sending her flowers, candy and a teddy bear.

Read more: www.nypost.com...

Yes, another Facebook thread.

This time, we have teachers friending students and behaving inappropriately.

I have to agree with the decision to fire these teachers.

It should be a given that teachers do not friend their students on Facebook.

I have both my kids as friends, I keep an eye on what they do on their pages. I would be furious as a parent to see my kids teacher/s friending them and leaving comments like, thats sexy etc.

Are people becoming dumber, these are teachers, what kind of examples do we have left for our kids?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Not all teachers are perverts.

Facebook friendship is not a dirty line not to be crossed.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Are people becoming dumber...

Yes. Every day we become dumber and dumber. It is quite amazing the stupidity i see sometimes. I find myself wondering "whats next"

MOTF!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
No. "We" are not becoming dumber, the dumb were always with us and technology has provided them another outlet (more powerful) than in the past, to out themselves with their choices and actions.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I never said all teachers are perverts.

I would think a teacher with even half a brain would realize how even the innocence of friending a student on Facebook could backfire, I would think it protects the teacher more than the student.

In this case we have pervert teacher.

But what of the student who friends her teacher only to accuse them of harrassing them, or worse?

That is why I said it should be a given for teachers NOT to mix Facebook and students.

At least while they are underage, once they turn 18 or graduate or are in college I can see it becoming a murkier issue.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I watch my teenagers facebook pages also. I think it would be irresponsible not to. Last year, my daughter's softball coach friended a lot of the team and spent an inordinate amount of time leaving messages and updates on some of the girls walls. It made me uncomfortable, because these girls were singled out for extra attention by the coach at practice and games, as well. After I mentioned it to my daughter, she told me that the coach,(who is female), was having weekend sleepovers with the girls who were being singled out. Now, I have never heard of anything inappropriate that went on, but I was extremely suspicious of all the fb activity between the coach and the girls. Maybe I am just paranoid, but in this day and age of raging pedophilia, it would behoove parents to keep track of any and all of their children's friends on the social networking sites. I wish that our school would deem it taboo for teachers and students to friend one another. It definitely created a whole new area for concern.

edit on 10/21/10 by jennybee35 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

But what of the student who friends her teacher only to accuse them of harrassing them, or worse?

Message logs would prove otherwise if it's a baseless accusation.

If it's not, then thankfully facebook has message logs.

Nothing on the internet goes unrecorded; end of story.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Good point! I guess we should be grateful that we have such techn ology to out the idiots more quickly.

I remember a hushed scandal from my hs days (twenty plus yrs ago) where a fifty yr old teacher sent flowers and love notes to my best friends sister. It was creepy and got covered up, nothing ever was done. Now we have intant emails and Facebook, which like you say, bring it open quicker.

In the case of my bf's sis, the "courting" had gone on unknown for months, and she was too embarassed and ashamed to tell.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Not all teachers are perverts.

Facebook friendship is not a dirty line not to be crossed.

I personally don't see a need for teacher and students to have any kind of social communications outside of the school premises. It's just asking for trouble.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

That is the point I was trying to make, it is like playing with fire, asking for trouble and even an innocent comment can be taken wrong if the parents become inclined or sue happy.

I just think it should policy for teachers up through high school, that they not use facebook and myspace and such to socialize with their students.

It has the potential to be abused in so many ways.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I would agree with you, a line was crossed. The exception perhaps, is if there were a FB school page (or some other official school page) that was set up for communication between the school and the parents/students to share school information and activities. But - never a good idea (a really stupid idea, actually) for teachers to communicate on a personal or one-to-one basis via a social site...
edit on 21-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Well, what I noticed was that the ones singled out by teachers on fb were on the recieving end of "teacher's pets" and other rumors. They were seen as being more liked than other students, and that always creates a problem. Teachers and students alike share a more personal view of their life on fb, and that creates an area of unknown potential.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
My Wife is a teacher, she will not do a number of things just to cover her @$$ one of them is no Face Book! No photos anywhere even on my Face book account! She does not want to give her students a PRIVATE avenue to contact her! She is also afraid of anyone looking threw posts and using it against her. It is just safer for her to stay out of that environment.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Was this a school team or a youth league? It doesn't really matter I guess because I would have reported that to the school or league administration. There is no doubt they would not condone those kind of inappropriate activities. That is just totally wrong imho. There is no way 'sleepovers' could help the players in anyway.
edit on 21-10-2010 by janon because: speeling

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Reply to post by xyankee

It is just safer for her to stay out of that environment.

When will this sink in?

There is nothing good that comes from these "social networking" sites. It's just liability and wasted time.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Irresponsible behavior will happen no matter what. Facebook just creates an environment that makes it easier to be irresponsible.

I feel that school districts should make these decisions for the teachers and make it a violation of school policy. Facebook is about people's personal lives. Teacher/student relationships are not personal, they are academic.

If they become personal, then sexual emotions can surface. It's nature's cruel joke. Humans aren't perfect, but some or less perfect than others.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

It was our school softball team. And yes, I wasn't the only one uncomfortable with it. But when mentioned to school officials, they said it wasn't a problem unless parents complained. The girls going to the coach's house for sleepovers were also taken out to eat, see movies, shopping, etc. I guess since the coach was female, most parents just went along with it. I know better. I wouldn't let my daughter go or participate outside of the regular practices and games. I was very NOT comfortable with it at all.
edit on 10/21/10 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I guess I'm a little biased on this... since I had Facebook when I was in high school and several of my teachers were, and still are, on my list:

-Law teacher
-Civics teacher
-Business teacher
-Client Management and Professional Practices teacher
-Drama teacher
-Vocal teacher
-Psychology teacher

Why did I have them on my facebook list? Because I respected them as professionals and wanted to bring the educational conversations that we had out of the classroom. Was a pass ever made at me? No... and I wasn't exactly the ugliest person in the school back then. Did we engage in healthy, professional discussion via facebook? All the time. Sorry, folks, but I don't think the school board should be the Facebook police unless it is impeding on a student's safety. Like you said, you're their parent -- you have the right and responsibility to monitor their activity online and make sure they are being safe, the school board cannot be held responsible for all of your children's safety when they aren't at the school. Forcing them to do more work in certain areas will result in them lacking in other areas; they only get paid so much! Being a parent is a full time responsibility, and I think its silly that everyone is trying to force the school board to assume their problems.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

Wow. I have never heard of a high school that offers law classes, or client management and professional services classes. I had no idea there was a high school that offered psychology, either! Where the heck did you go to high school?
edit on 10/21/10 by jennybee35 because: clarity

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Wow that is just so creepy. I don't understand how any of those parents would allow their children to participate in that kind of behavior. I would have removed my child from the team.
edit on 21-10-2010 by janon because: clarification.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join