It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Druidry recognised as religion in Britain

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams is also a Druid he is in the highest of the three orders of the Gorsedd of Bards and his bardic name is ap Aneuri.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Well as I understood it the real Druids became extinct... and since they didn't keep a lot of records, the 'new' Druids are working off snippets of what the old ways were perceived to be...

They could always petition the vatican to release it's spoils of war back to it's original owners. I have no doubt that knowledge still exists on their vaults. Many of the saints are based on druid gods and godesses to make mass conversion easier (burning everyone would've been impractical
). I believe they must have been recorded in order to canonise them. It also helps to know everything about a culture before you outlaw it.

edit on 2-10-2010 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
They could always petition the vatican to release it's spoils of war back to it's original owners.

Oh AWESOME never thought of digging through the Vatican archives for Druid literature

www.vatican.va...

Welcome to the Library of Congress Vatican Exhibit. You are in the Main Hall
www.ibiblio.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

oOo Thank you for the links.

I didnt know The vatican had anything to do with this.

O wait did the vatican introduce christianity agaisnt Pagans in the UK Isles.

One fought the other and so called the word of a Christinaity God won?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
From what I have read, the Druids shunned writing. Everything was to be memorized, because it required more discipline. The Druids had numerous universities, and were also the teachers of the world.

www.suite101.com...

Before Rome’s attack on the Islands, it had been a well established seat of learning for many generations, taught by the Druids. By 38 A.D., Julius Caesar tells us in his book Gallic Wars, that there were at least forty universities in England and he mentioned that they were reputed to have had an enrollment of sixty thousand pupils from around the world!

English legend tells us that Pontius Pilate attended these Druidic Universities, as well as many of Rome’s greatest historical generals. J. O. Kinnaman,D.D., in his work on Archaeology said that "Pilate was not a Roman by nationality, but by citizenship. He was born a Spaniard… Then he went to Britain to study in the universities … under the administration of the Druids … it was Pilate's ambition to become a Roman lawyer and the future governor of Palestine…”

Nero had them hunted down and wiped out, although the reason is still unknown why he singled out the druids.

Being that they had taught so many students from so many other cultures, it seems that someone somewhere wrote down some of their beliefs and practices.

Yes, I think the Vatican could possibly be a very good source, but what information exists is probably buried deep down somewhere and kept from pubic knowledge.

Most of what druids follow today comes down from the Mabinogion. A brilliant set of tales that I think are the richest mythological tales I have ever read. Unfortunately, as rich as the tales are, they tell little about the Druids beliefs and nothing about their practices. It is also believed that many Irish folk tales include Druid stories.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

There is one Roman account of supposed Druid human sacrifice, but it is not very credible, and believed to be written to excuse Roman actions to destroy the Druids.

The Archeological evidence is also very weak, a body found in a marsh, that might have been a ritual sacrifice, or kidnapping of a royal or wealthy person for many reasons.

These are the only two accounts of Druid human sacrifice, so it is highly unlikely they practiced such a thing.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It was funny because @CNNBRK claimed it was recognized in Britain for "the first time"...

Really? I thought it was pretty much originated there millenia ago! LOL!

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

The only knowledge of real Druidism is in certain archeological sites and Roman accounts. This historical knowledge is unfair and inaccurate at best.

Today's druidism is entirely New Age.

You are correct, sir. It is all totally New Age.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SpudMacIntyre

But who really cares? Honestly... The Christianity practiced today is nothing like it was 1500 years ago, 1700 years ago etc...

I don't understand why people get hung up on facts when it comes to religious beliefs

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

They could always petition the vatican to release it's spoils of war back to it's original owners.

Oh AWESOME never thought of digging through the Vatican archives for Druid literature

www.vatican.va...

Welcome to the Library of Congress Vatican Exhibit. You are in the Main Hall
www.ibiblio.org...

The Vatican would never voluntarily release enough artifacts/knowledge to make it possible to rebuild religions it tried to destroy .. hence why I said vaults not exhibition or public library. It has always been very selective with what it releases to the general public.. oh and to police.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

It has always been very selective with what it releases to the general public.. oh and to police.

Well naturally..
you need someone on the inside... but yer right, the Jesuits still control the release of new technology and decide who gets it... and NASA funds them

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You are correct sir, What the Catholic Church teaches, and the rest of the protestant religions as well, has nothing to do with the teachings of Christ. If you look at the bible, only a tiny amount is based on the teaching of Christ. The vast majority of it is the teachings of Paul. From Christ we get the Sermon on the mount, and a few parables, and that is it. The Mabinogion is far more extensive than that.

If you really want to learn what Christ taught, buy "The Gospel of Thomas".

Saying 14: His disciples asked him, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we keep?"

Jesus said, "Do not lie and do not do what you hate, because all things are revealed in the sight of heaven. For nothing is hidden that will not be revealed, and nothing is covered that will remain covered."

They certainly don't teach this in Sunday school. What these churches teach is just the opposite.

Those who want to keep the masses enslaved will ridicule all that leads to freedom, and anything that gives people hope that they can live a better life.

What they can't dismiss with ridicule and denial, they will twist and pervert.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Great, just what everyone needs, a new religion,
Make no mistake, modern day druidism is precisely that.
A bit like modern day Wicca, mostly made up stuff.
I wonder what Druidic university said practitioners attended.
Perhaps they read the ‘White Goddess’ by Robert Graves.
Well at least that would have been a start!
Have you seen the nick of some of these modern day druids?
They appear every now and then at Stonehenge, and take over,
They seem to think they built it, or some such,
Stone circles came long before druids,
Although they may have hijacked a few,
Here and there.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SpudMacIntyre

Once again, new age Druidism is based on the Mabinogion. This is a book you can find in any good bookstore.

There is also a series of four books by Evangeline Walton titled:

1. The Prince of Annwn (1974)
2. The Children of Llyr (1971)
3. The Song of Rhiannon (1972)
4. The Island of the Mighty (1936)

www.fantasticfiction.co.uk...

The Prince of Annwn describes three worlds, through which we evolve. On all three of these worlds is conflict.

This comes from a larger work titled, "The Red Book of Hergest".

www.ancienttexts.org...

More stuff they did not each us in school.

edit on 3-10-2010 by poet1b because: Add second link

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

You are correct sir, What the Catholic Church teaches, and the rest of the protestant religions as well, has nothing to do with the teachings of Christ. If you look at the bible, only a tiny amount is based on the teaching of Christ. The vast majority of it is the teachings of Paul. From Christ we get the Sermon on the mount, and a few parables, and that is it. The Mabinogion is far more extensive than that.

Saying 14: His disciples asked him, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we keep?"

Jesus said, "Do not lie and do not do what you hate, because all things are revealed in the sight of heaven. For nothing is hidden that will not be revealed, and nothing is covered that will remain covered."

They certainly don't teach this in Sunday school. What these churches teach is just the opposite.

Those who want to keep the masses enslaved will ridicule all that leads to freedom, and anything that gives people hope that they can live a better life.

What they can't dismiss with ridicule and denial, they will twist and pervert.

This is soo true... thank you for expressing it as you have!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Honestly, yes, I think we need a new religion.

I do have a copy of the "White Goddess" by Robert Graves. It contains a wealth of information.

Aren't all religions made up?

The Stone circles go back to the earliest civilizations, predating the pyramids by several millennium.

The oldest stone circles ever found, are in Anatolia.

www.archaeology.org...

At first glance, the fox on the surface of the limestone pillar appears to be a trick of the bright sunlight. But as I move closer to the large, T-shaped megalith, I find it is carved with an improbable menagerie. A bull and a crane join the fox in an animal parade etched across the surface of the pillar, one of dozens erected by early Neolithic people at Göbekli Tepe in southeastern Turkey. The press here is fond of calling the site "the Turkish Stonehenge," but the comparison hardly does justice to this 25-acre arrangement of at least seven stone circles. The first structures at Göbekli Tepe were built as early as 10,000 B.C., predating their famous British counterpart by about 7,000 years.

Where are our closest links to these circles?

The Basque, who are considered to be the oldest civilization in Europe.

www.wisegeek.com...

Ancient Basques are thought to have worshiped the goddess Mari, and ancient Basque culture was thought to be largely matriarchal. The old Basque religion also included a number of mythical figures, including nymphs, giants, genies, and supernatural beings that supposedly built the stone circles that dot the landscape. Since the advent of Christianity, the Basques have historically been almost entirely Roman Catholic, and a number of prominent saints, including Francis Xavier, have been of Basque origin. In fact, the founder of the Society of Jesus, Ignatius Loyola, was a Basque. In recent years, however, religious attendance has fallen off dramatically, echoing similar shifts in the larger region.

Truth is, we aren't creating a new religion, we are restoring the oldest religion, that of Goddess worship.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Thanks, here is another saying from "The Gospel of Thomas".

www.amazon.com...

This Heaven will pass away, and that which is above it will pass away. The dead are not alive and the living will not die. In the days when you ate what is dead, you made it alive. When you come into the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one, you became two. But when you have become two, what will you do?

Comments by Authors - This saying promises a third heaven.

Hmm, third world, shades of "The Prince of Annwn".

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

It is rumored that the Vatican holds the true teachings of Jesus in that Vault

It was in the news some time ago that a certain Pope was going to release that material... I was on top of that news... was sure that it would happen... but then

The murder of Pope John Paul I
www.tldm.org...

Try to find a copy of

The Mystical Life of Jesus, H. Spencer Lewis
The Secret Doctrines of Jesus H. Spencer Lewis

Harvey Spencer Lewis F.R.C., S.·.I.·., 33°66°95°, Ph.D. (November 25, 1883 – August 2, 1939), a noted Rosicrucian author, occultist, and mystic, was the founder in USA and the first Imperator of Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis (AMORC), from 1915 until 1939.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here are a couple more that I am sure you will find interesting about the creation of the USA

The Child's Own Losses

The Mysterious Rosicrucian Who Was the Father of the American Republic

The Speech of the Unknown

edit on 3-10-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I don't know how the Vatican has anything to do with Druid records. Everything known about the Druids were written down by Romans hundreds of years before Constantine and the construction of the first St Peter's Basilica in Rome. The Vatican and the Catholic Church would only know about as much as we do now, only from the writings of ancient Romans that conquered Briton and from archeological evidence. Yes the Catholic Church is 2000 years old but none of the early writings had anything to do with Druids and I doubt early Christians really cared. Before the Catholic Church became a state religion in Rome, they were pretty much an underground organization and was barely able to store up knowledge of other cultures outside the Roman-Judean-Greek areas.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

We don't need a new religion.
That's the last thing we need!
What's wrong with you people?
As a species we need to grow up and grow out of this nonsense.
This superstitious twaddle is what holds us back.
You are not restoring anything.
Just a half baked attempt at re-invention.
I know all I need to know about stone circles.
Unless of course something new comes along.
Ancient history is fascinating, resurrecting old religions is,
Just plain ....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join