It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would your reaction be if you met an "important" person like an actor?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I bet you have seen people going BERSERK, and crying and whatnot when they meet lady gaga or some other person,

so what is the psychology behind that behaviour? or what is your take on it?

and what would you do if you met someone considered "important" (by todays mind controlled society)?

personally to me they are on the same level as any another person i have met on the street......

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by the dacoit

You know this brings to mind something that happened to me about ten years ago...

I was sitting with some friends, late at night, in a food franchise called "Waffle House" just north of Atlanta, in a pretty affluent area.

I got up to walk to the restroom as a man was walking in the door. As he entered the vestibule he pushed his car alarm button, on his keychain, and I saw that he was driving a brand new Porsche. So I commented to him about how much I liked his car. This led to the two of us sitting down and having quite a long and enjoyable conversation. A lot of small talk. But the gentleman was very soft spoken and polite. We probably spoke for about half an hour before I excused myself.

I went back to the table my friends were at and my friends were beside themselves. The man I was talking to was a musician, they told me, named Usher. I've since learned that he's quite famous and that he was quite famous even then. I had no clue who he was at that time.

Point being... Even after being told he was famous, my opinion didn't change. That night I didn't talk to a star. I simply had a conversation with a really nice guy.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I don't label an actor as an important person actually.

How would you respond to someone famous without making him or her an arrogant prick

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think that as long as you go to the bathroom, eat, and sleep like the rest of us your no different.

But for those that go NUTS over so called celebrities have of course done what was intended.. mind control.

Some have learned in this society that we are these people, because they go through life like everyone else... NO! They portray a character, and if your crying over them, well then their good at their job.

But even though you cried with them for half an hour once a week, when the t.v goes off, or the movie ends, your life still sucks, while they go to their mansions, and eat caviar.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Cool story.

He was probably glad he could finally have a normal conversation with someone.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
So what makes them so "important"? They are just as human as everyone else, are they not? So what reaction are we suppose to have if we meet one? Are we to be all giddy and act like little school girls? Actors are people, not gods. Back in 74, my friends and I went to the local Holiday Inn to have a beer. When we walked in, there sat Alex Karras and two of his buddies, they were on their way to Detroit for a football game. He invited us over to have a beer with them. He was a great guy, fun to be around, loves to joke around. He didn`t put on the old, i`m better than you act. He bought us a beer, and we bought beers for him and his buddies. One super nice guy.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Funny this should be a thread. In Home Depot we always had those people from one of those BORING flip this house or something or other coming in and all the cashiers would be like "OOOHHH Look it's Blah blah blah" whoever the heck their names were(Since I didn't care, I don't recall). I never understood all the hooplah about them, like the other poster here said they go back to their forty million dollar mansions and eat caviar and your life still sucks, and they don't give a fig about you! Honestly, and oh in Tampa we were at the court probation place and I was the driver, no I am not nor ever was on probation, anyway I took my friend and her stepfather and she ran into a tampa bucs player(Blah the team sucks anyway) but besides that point...I still don't care... she of course chatted him up, gushing all over him. I don't understand why, I mean I am the one into football and still could care less, anymore than if it was an Eagles player and they're one of my favorite teams and yes, I have seen them also...blah, who cares, to me I'd rather meet the smartest people in the world than celebrities. They are good for only one thing...entertainment...beyond that most of them have no depth whatsoever!!!

edit on 20-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: edit for being a retarded speller...lol

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
ive met a few, they seem to appreciate the fact that i treat them like normal people.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

personally to me they are on the same level as any another person i have met on the street..
Exactly...I don't see what the big deal is about musicians and movie stars...a lot of them are scum any way, the power and fame gets to their head too quickly because people treat them like Gods. Personally, scientists and engineers are the people who I consider to be the real "stars"...and I'd certainly be more nervous to speak with an intelligent physicist than a moronic movie star. I don't think there's many "celebrities" I could converse very long with...not that I would want to, they are just people, very annoying people actually.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I live in an area that is more or less infested with actors, so I tend not to even notice them a lot of the time, It's also kind of a British thing that we don't really go in for the whole screaming and asking for autographs bit.

Some of the people I have seen walking about on Hampstead high street are.
Noel Gallagher, Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton, George Michael, Ricky Gervais, Jude Law, Robbie Williams, Ewan McGregor.

I can't say I was impressed by any of them.

I think I might be a little star struck if I met anyone that I thought was mega talented rather then mega famous,, I would probably have trouble speaking if I met anyone from Pink Floyd for example

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I've met quite a few...

Sat at a table with Dustin Hoffman and Steven Speilberg for 2 hrs once....

I usually try not to be that typical douche-fan.

Never the less...It's a little stressful but fun.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I was doing a securityjob at Bryant park in NYC. I was working the VIP section next to the stage ad they had the sourcerers apprentice cast, producer and director. People were going nuts once they saw what was going on. It wasn't until people stopped a stared that a crowd built up near the barriers when Nicholas Cage walked up. I was literallly like 2 feet from them when they were waiting to go on stage. It's definately weird seeing a celeb in person and I like a bunch of his movies, but there would probably only be a few people that would make me star struck. Other than that I don't buy into the whole MSM putting these celebs on a freaking pedistal and perpetuating this illusion tha being rich is what everyone should work their whole lives trying to achieve. This is not life and I really wish it would change because money makes me miserable. So idk that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are people who share my views, but yea these are just regular people.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Indeed. Do unto others etc. Though when you consider that a person of 'celebrity' has more influence over the rest, you may want to consider how you represent yourself. Would you really want to end up being the subject of one of Robin Williams' jokes?

In all seriousness, depending on the amount of time I actually had with this person, I'd probably try to find out how "awake" they are.

I'm a graphic artist and musician, so I've gotten to meet quite a few "icons" from the 70s-80s-90s punk scene. Many of them would be absolute assets to this site.

I realize these people aren't as high-profile a-list actors but many of them have shared stories about the 'upper-echelons' they've interacted with.

A LOT of media industry people know what's going on to a certain extent.

Don't dismiss them.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I have been working here in Tamalewood as a actor, standin, extra, driver and crew for about 3 years and have met many famous actors, directors, producers, stunt people and I treat them like I treat everyone....nice.
On set it is not cool to approach the principals [VIPs] but if they engage you it ok to respond.
There is very strict protocol on big budget, studio shows and it's a fast way to get fired if you step out of line.
On indy films the rules are more relaxed.

articles.latimes.com...

edit on 21-9-2010 by whaaa because: more blather

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
People are people. Some live "the lifestyle" some never lose touch with reality. The hard balance point for many celebrities is person versus persona. It is sometimes hard to live up to what others believe you to be and how you project yourself compared to how you really are.

That said, some handle it better than others. And yes, it is hard to treat someone you respect/admire/"love" like everyone else sometimes. And despite having met, talked with, blah blah blah with several celebrities over the years, I have a list of those that would throw me off as star struck because of seeing and admiring their work over the years. Harrison Ford would be one, although I have been told he is one of the least "gone Hollywood" stars out there.

But keep in mind, there are those that fake being nice fairly well. But much like holding a fart for too long, it is going to come out. And sometimes the constant admiring throng causes a bit of backlash in order to have some privacy.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

What would your reaction be if you met an "important" person like an actor?

I've met many. Living in Las Vegas while stationed at Nellis AFB I volunteered to work security at many events in Las Vegas for over a decade, proceeds went towards charity or fund raising for squadron functions.

Also I had the priveledge of meeting more than a few during USO tours, mostly comedians, country singers, and actors.

How did I react? depended on the situation. I once met a comedian/actor at a restaurant inside the Hard Rock before a UFC. I excused myself for interupting while he was waiting for his food, introduced myself, and simply said "I'd like to thank you for what you do, and all the times you have made me laugh. I'm not bothering you for an autograph or picture, just thanks for being who you are and doing what you do." He stood up, smiled and shook my hand. Asked me what I did for a living. I answered. His food was being brought to him, and I told him and his guest that I hoped they enjoyed their evening. I thought David Spade was pretty cool.

I've met a few other famous people, too. They are most appreciative when you just tell them thanks for what they do, let them know you enjoy their work.

Montgomery & Gentry put on an awesome show for us troops while I was stationed at Ballad. They are country duo, with some good music, in my opinion. One of their songs were interupted by some nearby mortors during an attack less than half a mile away. They said some choice words and re-started the song. They refused to stop the show. That was more than cool in my book.

Trace Adkins is one tall man. I'm 5'11 and his belt was a little below my shoulders. Great personality, and one hell of a life history, if anyone is familiar with him, his ex wife shot him a few times.

Drew Carey Doesn't always wear those glasses, and they are more part of his image than necessity. And he is hilarious. Myself and a few dozen other firefighters out for an evening at a club in Las Vegas ended up hanging out with him and his party for about two hours. He is very knowledgeable about a lot of things, and very funny, imo.

Those are some of the famous people I have met. There a more, but when I was working security or showing people to their seats for a boxing or UFC fight it was business, not pleasure. But, I did get to shake some famous hands. And some hands of some extremely attractive women, in which case I tried to act professional, but I know I had a huge smile on my face.

They are regular people, like you or me, they just do something different than what we do. They are entertainers.

thought I would share,
et

edit on 20-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: change "near by" to "nearby"

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ecidemon
ive met a few, they seem to appreciate the fact that i treat them like normal people.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Ditto this

Famous people are just people and if you approach them that way you'll discover that they really like to be treated like what they are just folks!! I have lots of famous friends and have on occasion run into famous people (on account of the famous friends)

whoever you meet just be you and they'll be them

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Shouldnt this be a question for a teenage girls magazine?
Not ATS worthy im affraid.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Well in my line of work I have met plenty and I am only wearing one item of clothing.
I didn't freak out they are just people and some are really cool when you talk to them and some are morons like everyday people you talk to as well. The only difference is their bank account and social status.

I do find race car drivers and football players to be a word I can't say on here due to T&Cs.
Sports people are usually the most full of themselves.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I've always looked at celebrities as people. Some of them really don't deserve the way they are treated. I mean, what is so special about a person who is really good at acting like someone else?

I've met some musicians while working at a Christian music festival, once each summer for a few years. Obviously those were Christian artists, but they were all really cool and didn't seem to be up on any high horses. Actually it was good to see them acting like normal people when they weren't performing. I had access to what could be called the "back stage" area, and it wasn't unusual for them to bring spouses and children into that section. Pretty laid back and fun.

I also met the musician Matthew Sweet about ten years ago. He seemed down to earth as well, especially considering that he let a ton of people from the small concert step onto his bus individually afterward for a minute or two of chat and an autograph.

Treat 'em like you'd treat your friends or co-workers. I imagine they'd appreciate that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join