It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 yr old Girl Kicked Off of Cheerleading Team

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is my opinion is absurd.
6 Year Old Cheerleader Kicked Off Team

I am curious about others on this subject. IMO, there is way to many things going on with young kids and everything that they are faced with concerning subjects that are WAY out of line.

From Nickelodeon, to Disney. I feel that the mother should have spoke out, and if she wanted should have voluntarily removed her daughter from this squad. And as for the remark by the coach, and the reason those chants were said, 6 yr old shouldn't be cheering for 2 and a half hours anyway, is she saying the kids don't get a break?

Parents have to speak up for their children, and the fact that the mother spoke up before all of this began, I'm sure she did assuming that they would maybe re-evaluate the words in the first place.

What do you guys think?

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

What I find even more absurd is a six year old cheerleader! Are they cheering on the tetherball team?
Parents, stop pushing your children into early puberty. .

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Good for the mom for standing up for her kid, more parents need t do this. 6 year olds don't need to be reciting anything like this, but it does show how desensitized to this sort of thing alot of people are. It's a shame when this sort of thing is the "norm".

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Exactly.

Why did the mother complain anyway? The fact that she let her daughter join a cheerleading squad at such a young age, speaks volumes of her incompetence as a mother.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The only one who lost here was the little girl. Now she doesn't get to cheer this season. As as the appropriateness of it goes, meh. I don't have a problem with the cheer. I do have a problem with how they all handled this. Airing your laundry on national TV is always going to lead to bad things, one way or the other. The mom should have just addressed it in house or pulled her girl from the squad if she had a problem with it.

I hope the little girl can find another squad to cheer on.

reply to post by clay2 baraka

I think you should understand cheer a little more maybe. It is a pretty demanding sport for theses little girls. It helps them stay active and very fit. It teaches them team work. It teaches them discipline. There are elements of gymnastics and dance involved. I don't know how hard they push these kids but the little ones at my daughters gym aren't pushed hard at that age. They are taught fundamentals and they are taught team work though.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Excuse me?

Because she wants her kid to be active and learn some important skills, she is a failure as a mother? She is taught gymnastics, dance and tumbling all in one sport. I think you need to learn what cheerleading is now days.

ETA: This is what these kids do. I don't think you understand the work and discipline that goes into that two and half minutes.

The mother was giving her kid a chance to compete in a sport, what a terrible thing.

edit on 20-9-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I also see it as a team sport, that can make a difference in the lives for some girls, that can benefit them later in life, such as working with others, and fitness.

But I think that this concept has been long lost as far as some parents are concerned. T.V and movies have since made it into, a competition against each other, and the cool and non cool kids. Also about who can shake their butts the most, and nothing else but winning, as opposed to rooting for the team.

I see the fault in both cases.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

What I find even more absurd is a six year old cheerleader! Are they cheering on the tetherball team?
Parents, stop pushing your children into early puberty. .

Why is that absurd? That is nothing new. There are little league sports and around here there have always been little league cheerleaders for those sports.... Having a child in cheerleading is no worse than having them in any other sport.... So do you have a problem with kids doing all sports? Or just cheerleading? And to suggest that having them playing sports is going to some how force their body into early puberty is silly and goes against science... Being active and healthy is not going to screw up your body chemistry so bad that it forces you into puberty.... If you are looking into why children are going into puberty earlier, you should investigate all the growth hormones that are being injected into our foods... I think you will be more likely to find your answer there...

That said, I think it is beyond wrong to kick this girl off the squad. Punishing the girl because her mom had an issue with one of the cheers is beyond crazy. Add to that, she will be allowed back next year, but she must be on probation? This girl did nothing wrong! The mom didn't either really, though I do wonder why she went straight to the news first, rather than voicing her concern to the coach.... Apparently she went to the coach only after reporting it to the news.... Which seems a bit odd to me... Like she was wanting publicity or something...

edit on 20-9-2010 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
IMO the Mother should have done a little more investigation before letting her 6 year old join the squad. She should have ask the coach about what would be expected of her, what she would wear, how long would she cheer and what the cheers would be. Its like putting your daugher in a beauty pageant and then complaining because someone says something inappropriate about her because she wears make up and sexy little outfits. As for the cheerleading coach, she should not have suggestive cheers for girls this young. So IMO both were wrong but I must put more blame on the Mother as she is the one responsible for the little girl.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It seems to me the mother wanted a little bit too much control. If you're going to let your little girl cheer (which I think is a GREAT sport for kids - I was a cheerleader myself) you need to back off a little. At the very least, she should have checked it out more beforehand if her standards are so strict.

I didn't see anything inappropriate with the cheer at all myself.

I feel really bad for the little girl. She loves cheering... Parents

edit on 9/20/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I personally think the mom was being a little self centered in the decision. She decided to make something out of a small deal and get her kid kicked off the team
But then the "Cheer Council" decided on a unanimous vote to kick her out.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

The kid is too young to be a cheerleader.

Don't they have pee-wee teams that she can cheer for?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I couldn't tell ya. Here, they don't cheer for teams unless it is for their school. It's allstar cheerleading. But she isn't too young to cheer. She is six. If you watched the video linked, she is actually quite good for a girl her age. Sucks her mom made a mess of it for her, she obviously likes to do it.

edit on 20-9-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Eh, I don't fault parents who let their kids cheer. I think it's gotten too risque since the days when my little sis was a cheerleader (jr high & high school). Sis tells me back then it was "swing your hips from left to right" not "shake your booty".

As far as my girl, I told her any sport she wanted *except* cheer. Not just the inappropriateness in my (I conceded) puritanical view, but it's the sport with the most catastrophic injuries.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
As an ex cheerleader, I think the mom went overboard with contacting the news. If you dont like what your child is chanting- then take her out. In this era of hanna montana 8 year olds wearing minskirts and makeup- it doesent surprise me that promiscuity has lended its ways to the first graders.

new topics

top topics

join