It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Sight:Muslims praying at a packed public park

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RKWWWW

As a member of an independent,fundamental baptist church.
Aren't you glad that christians are taught to turn the other
cheek,place the needs of others before themselves,pray for your
enemies,feed your enemies if they are hungry,give them drink
if they are thirsty...
Do you have any clue on how hard it is to deny your fleshly
desires and live for the Lord?I wouldn't be calling christians spineless
push-overs.It takes a lot of character,perseverance and faith to
live this lifestyle.
Being annoying has been one of my specialties!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It sounds as though you visited during Ramadan, which is a very special time for them -- when they spend a lot of time in reflection and prayer. There may have been something about their situation that made it inconvenient for them to walk all the way over to the mosque and back (they may have been key team members for the group or some such.)

Doesn't seem alarming to me. I've seen similar things with Christians, who would not drive a car or eat a meal in public without stopping to pray. I've never seen Muslims praying in public (wouldn't surprise me) but I very often see entire Christian families sitting in public restaurants and praying.

If I went by the number of people I see praying in public, I would say there's a Christian conspiracy to take over the world and put everyone under Christian law, even if it violated the laws of their country.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Old testament laws are barbaric, but Sharia law is the only equivalent thing this world. Christains dont' cut other people's hands off, officially, its not endorsed officially, or put acid in anothers eyes. Due to abuse of women, christians don't bury a young girl alive, tied to a chair for talking to boys either.

We're not going to ever accept a marriage of ancient religious governance wedded to our govermments. Nor should we ever allow women and children in public covered in shrouds. Its abuse, and its a abuse of my children to witness it.

Moderation in all religions, and being upgraded to high human rights and equality standards, is the only acceptable way to practice it. Anything else is a crime aganist humanity.

edit on 16-9-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Romantic Rebel, what are you trying to accomplish in this thread? Your anger is obviously your faith, so why attack others who also have faith?

To stay on topic, and a question to the OP, what is it about the prayers that made you uncomfortable? Was it because it was another religion or because you are skeptical of religious faith?

Faith is the link between the devout of all religions. When I see Muslims pray I find myself encouraged to pray to God in my own way. That will hopefully never change here in America. With so many different beliefs in this country I doubt it ever will.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
We always have a choice in all religions, to be progressive and modern and see the past as the past and understand that there are two paths in the scripture, two roadways, we always have a choice to advance our souls or go backwards. Only one way is to the Higher Ups, Prime Creator, and Love. The other goes the other way to Dracos.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
nobody realizes how ridiculous they sound in these threads

mind your own business

your way of thinking is not the only way of thinking get over it

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by RKWWWW

Sure I'll go right ahead of you and do that.
Here's a list of lies by Jesus.
www.evilbible.com...
Here's a great article why the Christian God is impossible.
www.evilbible.com...
Contradictions in the Gospels.
www.evilbible.com...
Of course you Christians already ignore the OT which you shouldn't.
www.evilbible.com...

My friend,

I have read the link in your post "List of lies by Jesus". Those are not lies, but Truths. Here I will prove it and demonstrate it. First, the reason you perceive them as lies is because there is much misunderstanding in the teachings of Jesus. The church has made him out to be a God, and made his simple lessons objects of supernatural power. Jesus never claimed to be God. He stated numerous times that he is a Brother to Man, that he is the Son of God, and that he is the Son of Man. The church took his teachings and made him a God, that he might be worshipped and therefore the church being the appointed priests of his divinity. It is all about control and directly opposite to Christs teachings.

Now, at the very beginning of the Bible we have the book of Genesis. God created the world, sun, moon, stars, man, etc. When God finished all this he walked with Man to see what he would name things. He did not give the power to name things simply to Adam. He gave this power to all Man through free will.

Think about that a second,

Now if we all have the power to name things, we all believe we have this power, this RIGHT of free will. Anything one says, becomes the Truth for HIM!
If others agree that we each have the power of free will, then we must agree that what ever one says is also correct, if even only for themselves. We all have a right to know our own Truth!

So, I say to you, Brother, you are a mountain!

You do not have to believe you are a Mountain, but just agree that I have a right to call you such and see you as such if it is my will.

This is a lesson which is repeated often. When the audience "gets" it, they understand and accept it.

I can turn my cup of coffee into wine as well!

I am drinking wine, *sip* um good.

Am I drinking wine? Absolutely, if that is what I wish to call it.

It is our right by God to free will. We can name anything we want, and we can do anything we want. To live in peace, we must extend this same right to our Brothers and Sisters.

Now, can you not see how Jesus' teachings were a threat to an empire? Can you not SEE why control was needed over his teachings? Can you not see why the Old Testament HAD to be included in the Bible?

CONTROL!!!!!!!!!

Judge Not, Love All, Be at peace.

With Love

Your Heretical Brother

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The way I see this whole thing, Religion is becoming a serious problem. Speaking for ALL religion. There's extremism in each religious group, weak, or strong.

I'm no Atheist, but has not religion been the cause for some of our most bloody wars, and that's people dying over Fantasy and Myths? Idiots from the christian side kidnapping doctors in abortion clinics and murdering them, and its a shame that the news casts all their attention towards the Muslims, instead of the other creeps that kidnapped those doctors.(Correct me if I am wrong).

I respect all religion for what it is, but there has got to come a time where we have to get real and stop killing ourselves as well as dedicating our lives to a Fantasy Land that this stuff generates in our minds. Find the real source of our creation. However, though I think there are those in power that would rather keep Disclosure from us.

edit on 16-9-2010 by QuantumDeath because: small change.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDeath
The way I see this whole thing, Religion is becoming a serious problem. Speaking for ALL religion. There's extremism in each religious group, weak, or strong.

Absolutely my friend. Man has forgotten the higher purpose of their free will, and that is to help each other.

Originally posted by QuantumDeathI'm no Atheist, but has not religion been the cause for some of our most bloody wars, and that's people dying over Fantasy and Myths? Idiots from the christian side kidnapping doctors in abortion clinics and murdering them, and its a shame that the news casts all their attention towards the Muslims, instead of the other creeps that kidnapped those doctors.(Correct me if I am wrong).

Yes My friend, because Man has forgotten that he is responsible for his own free will, and allowed his free will over to others. Rather than listen to God in his own heart, he goes to a building and listens to what another is telling him God says. These are tools built up over generations to control the masses. It is the biggest of all conspiracies and it has been in place since the dawn of Man. Judge them not my friend. They are like babies. Blindly lead from what they naturally know is right and wrong, to what another says is right and wrong. If they knew what they were doing they would die of their own torment.

Originally posted by QuantumDeathI respect all religion for what it is, but there has got to come a time where we have to get real and stop killing ourselves as well as dedicating our lives to a Fantasy Land that this stuff generates in our minds. Find the real source of our creation. However, though I think there are those in power that would rather keep Disclosure from us.

The only thing we can do, is not do what we know in our hearts, we would not want done to ourselves. We can help to bring others to this truth by loving them and gently making them realise this simple truth. By our own actions, others can learn. Be ever watchful of your own actions. They reveal your Truth louder than the words you profess.

Soon, a time of peaceful resistance will come. The success of this resistance will depend entirely on the numbers who have come to realise this Truth. It is the will of each of us. It is our own tribulation. Peace can only come from PEACE.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

What that statement was I really don't know exactly,

This is my bario!

edit on 16-9-2010 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I can watch Chinese people pray daily outside their house, that doesnt bother me at all. Its time for him to meet his god/deities. Its only the smell from incense that stink a bit, another Buddhist chanting very loud mantra, worth a block noise!, another Indian smash coconut on the road then bath a harpoon like thingy with milk, lots more weird stuff actually, but I never think they meant to insult anybody, same goes for those prayers in the park. Theyre doing their prayer, not a protest, showoff or anything, merely a person paying/doing their duty.

By the way, if you want to see a puzzled face, try this - wait until they finished/done praying, then ask for a fight. You will see a very puzzled face

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The OPs point is that only recently has he seen or heard of Muslims praying in public places on the scale that has been witnessed. You did not see this 5 or 10 years ago on the level you see it now, and why is that? I personally have no problem with it at all. I was raised a Christian on the principles on Christ Jesus and as I grew older and matured I, along with many others, realized that organized religion is corrupt and down right evil. For arguments sake I would also like to say that with me being a non-denominational Christian, I believe in the same higher power that Muslims believe in. I call him/she/it God, and the to the religion of Islam the name is Allah. The same entity. I do not believe that Christ Jesus is God like many anti-Christians claim that ALL Christians believe. There is more than one way to practice, believe in or interpret the religion of Christianity and the same goes with Islam. I believe on Christs teachings of tolerance of others and I don't push my beliefs onto people, I will however let people know what my beliefs are and why I believe them if they are willing to listen.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PersonalChoice

No, they are not rubbing it into peoples faces. If you knew the religion itself they have to pray 5 times day at certain times. It depends what these people where doing. where ever they are at if it's pray time then you have to prey. They put the pray rugs in the direction of mecca in Saudi Arabia. They have the right to pratice their religion anywhere they please. Usally these are really religious people. I am a muslim and I am not religious. We are supposed to prey 5 times a day but I don't prey at all. I am too busy with college and running my own business. If they seem bold bout it ... then it just means they are really religious about their religion and take it seriously. They are not there to convert americans or turn the U.S into a Islamic Republic. These are just fear mongering thoughts. Muslims been in the U.S since the 1970s.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra5000

To stay on topic, and a question to the OP, what is it about the prayers that made you uncomfortable? Was it because it was another religion or because you are skeptical of religious faith?

I knew I was gonna be seriously flamed for my OP but anyways thanks for the intelligent comment, and the others who I will respond to shortly.

To answer your question, I am skeptical of religious faith, I never attended church growing up(on a regular basis) my parents never went, although we prayed at meals, and they always encouraged a relationship with God, in I guess, what would be the Christian sense of it. I have always looked at praying as a private thing. Maybe you pegged it, and ultimately my skepticism, especially as of late, is what made me look at it as a spectacle.

I honestly look at all religions as the same thing, my father's mother immigrated from Lebanon, although they weren't Muslims or religious at all. But like I said before, I have been around and known people who were practicing Muslims, some of them prayed five times a day, some of them didn't. But all of them gave me the impression that praying was a private thing(except for with other Muslims). So for me it was strange to see all of them praying there that day. If I would have seen someone kneeling at a cross he just stuck in the ground, praying to a Christian God per say I would of found it a strange site also.

My intention was not to offend anyone, I apologize if I did. I think if you grew up in a multi million person populated city, with all of its diverse multi cultural facets, I think it might be almost impossible to understand why it was a strange sight for this Ohio town. America is quickly becoming a smaller country with less encouragement to assimilate to so called American culture. Its a perfectly normal thing now, but it wasn't before.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
[qoute]Originally posted by Sahabi
PersonalChoice,

Thanks Sahabi for your thoughtful comments.

[qoute]In regards to your OP, are you religious at all? If you are, have you ever prayed outdoors? If you are not religious, have you ever meditated outdoors? Getting in touch with the Creator or the energy of the cosmos feels wonderful outdoors. Meditation outdoors is more relaxing. I suggest you try it sometime. You don't have to do it in front of people unless you feel comfortable. But for starters, find yourself a quiet place in nature, or even your back yard, and pray or meditate. I predict that once you get over that nervous/embarrassed feeling, you will have a great experience.

No I am not that religious at all, and I have never prayed outdoors before. I was always shown that praying was a private thing. Also, I have never meditated before, but I am thinking some meditation might do me some good. I appreciate the suggestion.

[qoute]Riyah is considered a sin in Islam. When a muslim engages in riyah, that religious act is not valid. Allah does not accept the prayers of a person that is praying to show off, or praying just because everyone can see him. This rule is so strict that even thinking of something other than Allah during your prayer might nullify your prayer!

I had no idea about that, my op must of been highly offensive to any practicing Muslims, I apologize for that. I really was not trying to offend anyone. And it absolutely helps me to have a better understanding, I admittedly know very little about the Muslim faith.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I applaud these Muslims for praying in public, it's their rights as American citizens to do so. Maybe if they do it enough, people will get over their fear, and allow Muslims to practice their religion. This is no different than Falun Dafa practitioners cultivating their Chi energy which generally done in public, or a bunch of Hari Krishnas in gauged in a kirtana also done in public settings.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by indigo_fleshlight

Why is it that these threads always go off topic? Always!! Choose any thread on this site relating to religion, or racism or whatever, and see how off topic it goes.

The OP said he saw a "strange sight", Muslims praying in a park!! WTF!!!???

What the hell is so strange about that? Now people come on here and have a flaming war about christianity and islam!!?? That is not what this thread was about? Actually I cannot understand the creation of this thread in the first place.

There is no conspiracy, no ufo, no alien, nothing that would incur the words "strange sight" here at all. I apologise if i seem rude, but i am frustrated to read threads that go totally of topic.

VVV

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Why is it that these threads always go off topic? Always!! Choose any thread on this site relating to religion, or racism or whatever, and see how off topic it goes.

My friend,

What you see happening in these threads, particularly the ones about Muslims is something called culture shock. Most people know only of religion what they have been taught since birth, so when they see something out of the ordinary they react with confusion and fear. It is a natural response. A conditioned response of being brought up in a system which teaches us to fear strangers and see others not like ourselves as foreigners, alien, something to be shunned. It is good that these threads meander the way that they do. People are expressing their fears and misunderstandings. Then we can talk about them, come to understand them, and overcome them. Judge them not my friend. The crooked paths of these threads are Progress!

Judge not, Love all, be at peace.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RKWWWW

Well said, what people still doesn't get is that Islam is not a religion but a law and faith is just part of Islam not Islam.

Because they are a laws they can never be assimilated into other cultures as that is forbidden by Islamic laws.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Because they are a laws they can never be assimilated into other cultures as that is forbidden by Islamic laws.

My friend, why should anyone be expected to be assimilated? Are we a culture of Borg now?

What happens when the rules change to something you do not want to be assimilated into? Will you blindly give up you own free will for the assimilation?

We all have a divine right to worship our God how we see fit. We all have a right to decide what we will do with our free will. A Muslim giving his free will over to Sharia Law, is no different than an American giving their free will over to Constitutional Law. The Laws are different yes, but the result is the same. Now some would like to present the argument that they should not be allowed to chose which set of Laws they would like to be under. Yet, we have no problem with Native Americans falling under tribal Law on reservations. We have no problem with Jews falling under Judaic Law for many of their civil functions. I say let everyone choose their set of laws, and be judged by them accordingly. That, is Liberty.

Of course, Laws are only meant to subdue another's free will, there for, I am a believer in only one Law.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

With Love,

Your Brother

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join