It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Racism Real?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by seagull

I didn't say I was ignoring anything, I just basically stated that an obvious comment about my appearance be that my skin colour, weight, height wouldn't affect me if it was true.

Weight is a tricky one though as height and skin colour can't be controlled, a persons weight can be controlled - although some people will always be larger than others regardless of what they do.

However, the same principle still applies, pointing out the obvious shouldn't be offensive.

How about big noses? A bit tricky. Guy might be sensitive about his nose! Impossible to gauge how quickly one can reveal that, like most people who meet a big nosed person, one has made mental note of his proboscis in the physical attributes section of the person identifier file in the brain because we all take note of the obvious.

A bit like the human equivalent of canine butt sniffing, its just an identity marker.

And once friendship is revealed or established, there is rarely offence, given or taken.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacific_waters
That's your racism showing. In Holland a black man can be called a black man without any problem. No one takes offense because no offense is intended. Your last sentence doesn't make any sense at all.

Oh dear how is that racist?

A black man can be called a black man where I live also, what's your point?

I think you're missing that we are talking about using the term 'black man' or 'white man' as a negative. It can be used as a negative for both blacks, and whites, but 'white man' does not have the negativity attached to it as 'black man' does.

To be called a 'white man' has no negativity because the term has never been used that way. The term 'black man' has been used negatively, and used the wrong way can be insulting due to it's historical use.

That is my point, OK? Who am I supposed to be racist against here?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

I don't base my friendships on physical qualities, I've met beautiful girls thick as fence posts and ugly girls bright as lightbulbs. Same with lads, it doesn't mean anything to me - I like people for who they are...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Racism does exist and will never dissappear here in the USA. The black population at one time were oppressed by the white majority but that changed with the civil rights movement. The shakkles were lifted and the true colors' of the black minority emerged. They used the law to there advantage but not in a constructive manner, just the opposite. They took on the name of African American and sought revenge on those they claimed oppressed them. Our government played a large extend in fostering this hatered and they are still doing it. Some not all black people in America behave in such a manner but those that do perpetuate racism. Look at our politics and the constant use of racism to end political debate.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
I think you're missing that we are talking about using the term 'black man' or 'white man' as a negative. It can be used as a negative for both blacks, and whites, but 'white man' does not have the negativity attached to it as 'black man' does.

To be called a 'white man' has no negativity because the term has never been used that way. The term 'black man' has been used negatively, and used the wrong way can be insulting due to it's historical use.

That is my point, OK? Who am I supposed to be racist against here?

So it's wrong for me to find it offensive if someone call's me a white boy but okay for a coloured person to find it offensive if I name their genuine colour of skin?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think racism is real to a degree. Only there is nothing anyone can really do about it. When we are all blended with no distinctive characteristics no differences in cultures there will still ankle sock people who hate tube sock wearers.

People will always point out differences in this or that. Its what makes being a human being so great. That will have the ability to love and hate at the same time.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
They took on the name of African American and sought revenge on those they claimed oppressed them. Our government played a large extend in fostering this hatered and they are still doing it. Some not all black people in America behave in such a manner but those that do perpetuate racism. Look at our politics and the constant use of racism to end political debate.

It was actually the government and business that took on the term 'African American'.

A lot of blacks don't even like the term, mostly older people who didn't grow up with it.

The correct term is Black Americans. African American was a term invented so as not to "insult" the American race and to keep it pc. Brits living in the UK are called Black and not African English so why use African American

wiki.answers.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

So it's wrong for me to find it offensive if someone call's me a white boy but okay for a coloured person to find it offensive if I name their genuine colour of skin?

What is offending you the term BOY, or the WHITE part? Boy has nothing to do with your race and being called white is not an insult.

Calling someone boy regardless of skin colour could be offensive.

I thought we were disusing 'white man' vs 'black man'?

Or are we now going to 'white boy' vs 'black boy'?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

What is offending you the term BOY, or the WHITE part? Boy has nothing to do with your race and being called white is not an insult.

Calling someone boy regardless of skin colour could be offensive.

I thought we were disusing 'white man' vs 'black man'?

Or are we now going to 'white boy' vs 'black boy'?

Thus calling someone black isn't offensive????

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
What is hard about this?

It is context and intent that determine if a statement or sentence etc is racist or not.
If it is said in an insulting, derogatory or degrading manner then it is racist.

However, I can only imagine using someone's colour during a conversation in either one of two contexts; intending to give a deliberate racial insult to someone or to someone with whom one is familiar with and in a light hearted manner.
The latter is between the individuals concerned and offence is very rarely intended or taken, the former is disgusting and has no place in today's world.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Thus calling someone black isn't offensive????

Only if it's used negatively, because it has historical negativity attached to it.
Calling someone white doesn't have historical negativity attached to it. 'White' has never been used by the majority to make whites feel inferior.

Why do you not understand this?

Black has been used as negative by whites for centuries due to mostly ignorance, for example at one time in history it was considered unhealthy to be anything but pasty white, sun tans were avoided. Skin colour that was not white was considered unhealthy. It wasn't a racist thing, but it became one as people of colour started populating Europe in larger numbers. That didn't change in Europe until the late 1800's when sea side resorts became popular.

[edit on 9/6/2010 by ANOK]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Really?

www.revisionisthistory.org...

Can't I not argue the same?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

Really?

www.revisionisthistory.org...

Can't I not argue the same?

Oh c'mon you dig up something about 'hidden' white slavery and think that has effected the whole white race like it has the blacks?

Really?

You know admitting whites have been racist through history does not make you a racist, and the only way to stop racism is to stop denying it.

[edit on 9/6/2010 by ANOK]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I'm not a racist mate.

But it still doesn't change my point that one argument can be used for one but not the other...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Lets say you have suffered from racism for years. Are you telling me you wouldn't have a reason to not trust those that did that to you?

Of course, I wouldn't trust the individual people that subjected me to racism, but to not trust anybody of that race would be illogical, racist, and counter-productive.

Why would I want to become a racist, when it was that same prejudice that blighted my life ?

but in the context of history they have more justification for hating whites than whites hating blacks.

And this is where I have to reiterate, that you are talking complete and utter racist nonsense.

There is no justification for whites hating blacks. There is no justification for blacks hating whites.

How much more simple can it be ?

What possible reason does a black person have for hating whites, nowadays, and vice versa ?

You are attempting to justify racism, and I must pose this question to you again:

Do you think that Jews have justification for hating modern-day Germans; if so, how do you logically, and morally, explain it ?

I'm just trying to dispel the myth that the racism from both sides is equal and comes from the same place, it doesn't.

Racism from all sides is equal.

It's equal in it's ignorance, too.

Guess what ? I didn't choose what race or circumstances I was born into, nor did you, nor did anyone else.

Why should ancient history, that has no relevance to any people born these days, play a part in creating a ''pecking order'' of races that can, and can't, be insulted ?

Who am I being racist against? I'm white so it's not white people.

Your skin colour is of little relevance.

You are clearly being racist, by attempting to justify racist attitudes from blacks towards whites, and suggesting that it's ''ok'' for modern day black people to hate modern-day white people, despite the irrelevance of the historical allusions that you base your arguments upon.

Once again, do you think it's justified for any Jewish person to hate modern day Germans ?

After all, what goes around, comes around, eh ?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Yes rascism is real.

Some of the participators of this thread have been caught red-handed posting up veiled, or outright racist material on ATS. You know who you are.

I see racism on ATS every day, and do my best to counter it. I've lost count of the amount of times I've used the word bigot recently - normally to describe a small selection of racist scumbags that inhabit this site.

Cythrauls' thread on being programmed to hate Muslims sums it up nicely for me - and the best part is, the racists have avoided that thread for fear of being outed as racists.

Watch them descend on me now....

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

I'm not a racist mate.

Did I say you were?

But it still doesn't change my point that one argument can be used for one but not the other...

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't force you to understand.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
ANOK, mate, your argument is akin to saying that the scenario of a modern day German guy, getting verbally abused in Israel, isn't that bad, because some other Germans persecuted some other Jews, a couple of generations ago.

Can you seriously not see how illogical your point is ?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Complete bollocks!

Because I have a mistrust of Islam does not make me a racist.

Only in your imaginary little world that exists solely in your mind and where you use different standards to judge and criticise people to fit into your stereotyped world.
Where you and you alone are the knight in shining armour and defender of the abused and dispossesed.
Where you have these imaginary battles where you emerge the victor in your own little world.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

You know absolutely nothing about me, my life, my beliefs or my values other than those you have made up to fit into your pre-conceived ideas.

If you have nothing to contribute to this thread and the topic in hand, keep out and stop trolling!

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Racism does exist and "words" are just words but racist words are backed up by racist actions. A person who would say something racist toward usually would be against you because of your ethnicity. Racism does exist and if you do not racist comments then fine by me if it is fine by you. But if someone were to spit at you because they do not like the color of your skin, accent or whatever then ask yourself if racism exists.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join