It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thunderbird in South Greensburg PA - 8/26/10

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The link is to stangordon.info aka Stan Gordon's UFO Anomalies Zone...
Was this Another Close Range Encounter with a Thunderbird Near South Greensburg, Pennsylvania?

On the evening of August 26, 2010, about 8:10 pm, there was a sighting of a monstrous bird in South Greensburg, PA. Just as it was getting dark, four people were sitting around in the yard having a barbecue and enjoying the beautiful weather when suddenly, their attention was drawn skyward by a sound like a “swish” or a “swoosh” or as one witness stated, “like air coming straight down.”
Several of the observers at almost the same time yelled out some exclamations including one man who said, “What the hell is that?” They were all startled to see a tremendously large bird that was flying over a tree in the yard about 30-40 feet overhead. The man who was doing the cooking turned and looked up to see the creature fly above him at a distance of about 40 feet away. As the bird passed the tree, it veered slightly to the right and went straight down the road ahead, maintaining its low level path.
When first observed, the massive wings of the creature were in an upward position and were beginning to drop slowly, almost as if they were rolling to the bottom. The swoosh sound could be heard when the wings were moving. The powerful bird had flown about 125 yards down the road, at which time the wings were coming back up. The creature was observed as it continued to move steadily down the road, passing just above the roof top of a house with its wings flapping slowly and steadily about 3-4 time until it reached a group of trees about ¼ mile away, where it was lost from sight. It took about 20 seconds to go the ¼ mile distance.
I interviewed two of the witnesses at the scene and they were able to provide a detailed description of the giant flying creature. As it passed over, it appeared as though it was peering below, with its head and beak positioned downward. It was estimated that if the bird was on the ground it would stand between 4 ½ to 5 feet tall. The entire body was the same dark color, either darkish brown or black. The body width was about 25-30 inches wide. One witness said the body, “was very bulky and husky.”...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You should definitely click through as there is more than is copied into the news snippet box...

Interestingly there is another sighting available of a thunderbird in South Greensburg PA, from 2001...the link is to paranormal.about.com, and again you should click through to view more than the dinky excerpt...
The Giant Thunderbird Returns

A gigantic bird has been sighted in Pennsylvania. On the evening of Tuesday, September 25, 2001, a 19-year-old claimed to have seen an enormous winged creature flying over Route 119 in South Greensburg, Pennsylvania. The witness's attention was drawn to the sky by a sound that resembled "flags flapping in a thunderstorm." Looking up, the witness saw what appeared to be a bird that had a wingspan of an estimated 10 to 15 feet and a head about three feet long.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
That's amazing!! Thank you for this info, I am definitely going to look into this some more. I know there have been a ton of strange reportings even some recent ones and I, myself, have reported two to Stan Gordon in the past six months or so. Again, thanks for this info!
(did that emoticon work?)

I'm ready to hit the sack tonight, but tomorrow I will dive in and swim deeper into the topic. It's crazy awesome since, you know...Greensburg isn't toooooo awful far away. I know I'm not supposed to disclose info about myself...and I didn't. It's just "close". Wow, sorry...overthought that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

The first new one seems to be of a smaller bird than the older 2001 report...I'd love to hear if you saw a bigger one or a smaller one...But thank you for posting, yes yes.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
My wife tells me she saw one when she was about eight or nine years old. (If I remember correctly, as she's still sleeping this morning)

She, her four brothers, and mother lived on a large, secluded, wooded property near Catawissa, PA. They were having lunch out back on the picnic table when they saw it.

It must have been very close, and very scary, because her mother grabbed all the kids and pushed them under the table, rather than risk them running for the house! My wife said it was giant sized and black feathered.

Again, I'm not clear on the date, as it's my wife's encounter, not mine, but this would have been around about 1976.

She could tell you more, I'm sure, but I'm not ready to wake her yet.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Dogdish

Oh, thank you Dogdish, for posting.

To elicit the new stories from ATS members is the only real point in me starting a thread like this, since otherwise I'm just linking to other people's previous work...If your wife could be persuaded to tell more, I would be appreciative and thrilled...
There seems to be a lot of thunderbird material in PA...I think outsiders (like me) have little idea how much there really is...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
i dont now enything about this but sounds very cool but how big is it?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by djjohn

There are varying reports, as listed in the OP's links, and I'm pretty sure that my wife's account was about thirty foot wingspan.

Then again, she was young, and wouldn't have the real ability to estimate more than a guess.

The boy (from Ohio, I think) that was taken for a short ride by the 'Bird estimates the same I think, and was interviewed by 'Monster Quest' when they (History Channel, I think) did an episode on the Thunderbird, or whatever they called it.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by djjohn

I would say 15 or 20 feet would be a common wingspan given in witness accounts (I myself haven't seen one, or I would tell you flatly how big mine was, hee-hee)...Wikipedia on Thunderbird does not really give many reports, or weigh in heavily on the wingspan question, though it does say:

Some skeptics have claimed such a large bird could never have flown, but several flying creatures with huge wingspans are indeed known. The prehistoric vulture-like Argentavis magnificens had a wingspan of around 7 m (23 ft) and was capable of flight. The massive Cretaceous-era pterosaur Quetzalcoatlus northropi (or perhaps Hatzegopteryx thambema) was the largest known flying creature in history, with a wingspan of around 12 m (40 ft). However, the Thunderbird's identity as a pterosaur is unlikely because the Thunderbird is invariably shown having feathers. A pterosaur's wings were made of a membrane of skin stretched over a bony finger, similar to a bat's wings.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I saw one here in Ohio back in 1995.

Exactly the same physical description.

I was coming out of my apartment, and it was perched in an old tree. I saw the head turn and look at me, it swooped out of the tree directly at me and pulled up at the last second, I guess I was too big for it! But when it pulled up, it was literally 5-6 feet from me. the amount of wind it threw off was staggering. It landed in the other tree behind the building which promptly broke under its weight, it fell, caught the air and flew away. Of course, we didn't have cell phone cameras back then, so no proof, but I'll never forget it.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
There does appear to be some sort of large bird in the Eastern Midwest region, from some of the eyewitness accounts. My bet is on some sort of condor or vulture.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I did see a bunch of Andean Condors in the wild, when I was in Peru...their wingspan is about ten feet, they are very impressive and majestic when they soar...A bird of even that ten foot wingspan could easily scare and alarm many people...but the thunderbird reports, even allowing for exaggeration, do give me the feeling that the thunderbird would be bigger yet...because it seems to be so big, that it alarms virtually everybody...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19557a595a7b.jpg[/atsimg]

Just wanted to post a picture of what you may be talking about. The photo here, I don't know the validity of it, but it's here nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I saw a bird about that size in Oklahoma a few years ago. You can find the thread here in this forum. I have not seen one since. For me it was a spiritual revelation as the thunderbird is the symbol for my tribe.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I just moved up here to Pa. a few months ago and I'm about 10 minutes from Greensburg.
This is so cool, I'll have my camera with me every time I go outside now!
LOL
Our backyard is very open and a great viewing place.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

If memory serves me correct it's a museum piece in South America of the size of one of the ancient large birds. It's representation of one, not actual bones and such.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I,m just throwing this out there.

It is the largest North American heron, with a head-to-tail length of 91–140 cm (36-55 in), a wingspan of 167-201 cm (66-79 in), and a weight of 2–3.6 kg (4.4-8 lbs). Notable features include slaty flight feathers, red-brown thighs, and a paired red-brown and black stripe up the flanks; the neck is rusty-gray, with black and white streaking down the front; the head is paler, with a nearly white face, and a pair of black plumes running from just above the eye to the back of the head. The feathers on the lower neck are long and plume-like; it also has plumes on the lower back at the start of the breeding season. The bill is dull yellowish, becoming orange briefly at the start of the breeding season, and the lower legs gray, also becoming orangey at the start of the breeding season. Immature birds are duller in color, with a dull blackish-gray crown, and the flank pattern only weakly defined; they have no plumes, and the bill is dull gray-yellow.[3][4][5]

The heron stride is around 22 cm (9 in), almost in a straight line. Two of the three front toes are generally closer together. In a track the front toes as well as the back often show the small talons.[6]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

Herons are nice, I like herons. I like all birds with long necks and sad cries.

Maybe some of the members who have posted that they've seen the thunderbird will respond as to whether what they saw could have been a heron...

I don't remember reading a witness account where the bird had a long neck, but that doesn't mean there aren't any, obviously...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Here's the Monster Quest "Birdzilla" episode: (two parts)

and:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Here's a little big-bird stuff from the very enjoyable patagoniamonsters.blogspot.com...Now in Patagonia they do have the nice Andean condor, but the scientists say his claws are too weak to seize up lambs and whatnot and carry them off...

Strange Birds Part One

...Cieza de León, a Spanish conquistador and chronicler noted that in Perú (in the 1540s) there were “some very big condors that almost look like griffins; some attack lambs and small guanaco in the fields”.
Close by, at the Coihaique mountain range, in 2009, Juan Moran wrote that “they say there are some black birds whose extended wings are 6 meters [19.6 ft. long] […] their eating habits are the same as those of condors and their life is more nocturnal than diurnal”.
In 2000, at Providencia, Tierra del Fuego, after many sheep appeared mauled a dock hand named Luis Gutiérrez Galli said that “I saw a bird fly over us, the size of a human being and with big wings”. Apparently, he believed that this bird was involved in the killings.

Lots of good stuff, perhaps with a more historical/folkloresque emphasis, on all type of fun crypto subjects, can be found in that nice Patagonian Monsters...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I think an eel would make a nice snack for a heron. I also love herons. I love all birds and I'd like to discuss them sometime in the chat room maybe?

We used to have a Quaker or Monk parakeet and I think they are from Argentina also.

I'll have to watch your videos later though.

See ya

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join