It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camel Spiders;You Just Got To Check This Out !!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Are these babies also walking/crawling on the same planet as us????
They run ,SCREAM and eat flesh after anetheatising their victims.
Please ATS members tell me there NOT real.
Check em out; www.snopes.com...

[edit on 21-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I also see a real possibility of this going BTS...

Great post though, I enjoyed it, even if others didn't.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
*shudders*

Creepy. Kinda reminds me of a spider from a sci-fi movie or something. I'm glad we don't have anything like that here. It looks like there are two in the pic, am I correct? or is that all one thing?
This makes me happy the worst spider-type-thing I have to deal with where I am is a Wolf Spider.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I gotta feeling I've seen something on Snopes.com about these. Evidently they do exist, but are nowhere near the size they're made out to be, maybe some camera trickery?

You wanna see scary spiders? Plenty in Oz - I've run screaming from several. Just google for triantelopes or huntsmen spiders. And out funnel-webs are deadly.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
MY friend told me that in South America there are some.. just... HUGE spiders in the jungle.

EDIT
On second thought I think I will add some personal spider run ins.

My uncle was camping in California and was bitten by a spider. THis spider was either the wolf spider or one with the same type of corrosive venom. It attacked the fat in his leg and the doctors were tempted to amputate but my uncle protested. THey did save his leg but it is SWOLLEN... and it will probably stay that way.. there is also still the possibility of infection.. even though much time has passed.

Connecticut has some big, scary and hairy spiders.

Once I was in the basement listening to the stereo when I saw a real beastie about the size of a fist... I totaly freaked out and ran screaming upstairs to my grandfather. He smirked, (silly girl) and grabbed the windex.. then headed downstairs. I came with him... all cowered and bent over, and pointed... he saw the spider and uttered something like.. Oooooo.. eeee.. ahhhh... then he started spraying it like a made man... while uttering.. omg, ewww.. ahhhhk.. and jumping up and down.. lol..

I was living in another heavily wooded area and we were known to have big, huge, hairy spider sightings there as well, it was a log cabin. I was in the bathroom taking a shower when I saw a HUGE spidr out of the corner of my eye.. that's all it took I, ejected myself from the shower and the bathroom post haste.. screaming like a girl and naked to boot. My roomate, after getting over the initial shock of my state.. went upstairs and cautiously entered the bathroom.. being told where I saw the offending spider. Well he starts cracking up.. pulls me into the bathroom and shows me the wood knot I had mistaken for my attacker. To say the least I was ambarrassed.

[edit on 21-6-2004 by UnusualMe]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The spiders in the photo look to be about 5 to 6 inches across. (that's my guess anyway comparing it to the loose cuff of the guy holding them, which is a similar distance from the camera.

Just a good camera angle!

p.s. To those planning on enjoying some camping this summer, rumour has it that lots of these things managed to get into the US after finding their way in to the cargo holds supply planes, and are now all over the US looking warm secluded places to hide. I'm told they particularly like to hide in the bottom of your sleeping bag and nibble your toes in the night..

that's what I heard anyway..*ahem*

[edit on 21-6-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Yes, Brazilian bird-eating spiders. There used to be one in a glass vivarium at Sydney's Taronga Park Zoo, dunno if it's still there. Truly horrible-looking creature.

Then later I heard that they were being sold in a Sydney pet shop. Hope that's just an urban legend.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Well you know I'd be tempted to believe that....

I lived near a few factories and right off a river.. it was very humid in the summer and we get attacked by blankets of some sort of small flying bug.. in the summer.. it was gross, you literaly needed an umbrella to get to your car .. and would need to turn on your wipers. Well these factories did engage in some over seas shipping.. and there were two wierd bug sightings that couldn't have possibly originated in my area..

My boss.. while pumping gas saw A HUGE cockaroach looking thing with wings on his tire... he beat it to death with a long handled windshield scraper.. he said it was the biggest most disgusting thing he ever saw.

I opened the door to leave the house and hanging on a picture fram in the outside hallway... was a "thing" It had the features of a seahorse and also the body bent like one.. but the tail was ridged like a rattlesnake.. the wings looked like bat wings and the whole thing was black. Everyone refused to leave the house till it was gone. It was really so odd looking we discussed contacting an entomologist just to find out what it might have been, but we never did.

[edit on 21-6-2004 by UnusualMe]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

*jumps up and down*

WHY THE HELL DIDNT U PUT A WARNING!!!

*SHUDDERS*

ewwww.....

btw....corrisoive venom comes from one of several spiders!

: Red Back *Oz i think*
: Funnel web
: Brown Recluse

Ps....yeah...trust me these spiders exist....came across a nest in the desert on patrol....i have nvr ran so damn fast in my life..think i beat the world record!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I have seen those things while I was in Iraq a year ago. They do get that big but they do not chase after you like most people think. They are actually chasing your shadow, looking for a slightly closer piece of ground to stand on. Easy way to prevent them from getting into your sleeping bags is to leave your bag open so you can see inside of it completly when you leave it.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
In my home town, the white tail spider also lives.
These nasties, even though there small, reak havoc amongs locals.
Their bite causes "necrotising arachnidism" basically localised paralysis
and possible amputation!!!!!!!!!!!
http:www.amonlinc.net.au/factsheets/white_tailed_spider.htm

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Yep, redbacks in Oz. Hansdome little critters as far as spiders go. Slim black legs, chunky black body marked with a black stripe usually, Gives a nasty bite, but not deemed lethal - maybe to a small child though. Scary to see one with 100's of little spiderlings on its back.

Whitetail spiders are ugly little things with a black rectangular abdomen marked with a small white stripe. Nasty bite, doc treats you with antibiotics. Lived in a house once that had a plague of 'em - & the pest control mob used special fumigation controls.

Was bitten by one that dropped from the rafters on to my arm, took ober 3 mths to heal. Their bite can cause tissue necrosis in some people, so I was lucky. Oh yes, Oz is well supplied with spiders - but those triantelopes are the ones that terrify me.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
what the hell is a triantelope?

Ive only been bitten by one spider...funnily enough just a weird lookin spider in my backgarden when i was back home from base.
It was in my sock and it bit me toe....2hrs later i was in casualty on oxygen and antibiotic IVs.

Yeah...im allergic to spiders!

ewwwwwwww

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Triantelope's another name for a huntsman spider. Just google - I scream when I even see a pic of one!

Hairy, huge, horrible - 7 inch legspan ain't unusual. Regarded as harmless [shudder]. And pest control companies will only give you a time-length guarantee against webbing spiders, so that means you get nothing where huntsmen are concerned.

Go on, havva look at some pix!

d1k

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by stefanclozza
Check em out; www.snopes.com...

Take note that the pic shown in that link is TWO camel spiders hanging onto each other, not one huge one

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
i will never .. ever... ever... goto australia!!!! you can't make me!!!
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Hi im only new here however i noticed the bit on the camel spiders. they sure as hell exsist but are not as big as a dinner plate. id say they were more in the region of 6 inches. i was in the jordan/iraqi deserts when i served in the armed forces. one of my friends pitched up his sleeping bag right next to one of their nests. they came scurrying out to see what all the fuss was about they are terrifying to say the least.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
it seems i can forget my trip to the pyramids of egypt too...

i swear id i ever saw anything like that i would die of a heart attack!!!!

Ok that might not be so hard to do, as one of my friends plans to get rich quick involved taking out a large life insurance policy out on me... then dressing up like a big bee... and saying buzzzzzzzz.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
They are also called false scorpions, they are fairly common in the Southwestern USA, as well, except that they only get to be about 2 inches long around here. I understand that they can bite hard, but are non-venomous. Just another creepy-crawler.....

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Aw. c'mon, UnusualMe, Oz is a friendly place - we like to share!
We got trapdoor spiders too - but they're pretty harmless. Only the funnel-webs are lethal, & they tend to live in the affluent Nth. Shore areas of Sydney, particularly around swimming-pools.

Huntsmen are more democratic - they're everywhere.
Now if you prefer a more exotic-looking deadly, there's our blue-ringed octopus, that lurks in harbourside rock pools. In Sth. America too, I believe.

[edit on 21/6/04 by Bastet]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join