It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New PS & case..still no boot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hi all,

Lemme slap my head before you all do on this one since I didn't have a PS checker before I bought a new case & PS.. ahem* .. This will be a bit lengthy, but might be worth it in the end ..

my friend was alt-tabbing between 2 apps on her pc, when the system shut down and wouldn't boot back up.

after checking out the case a bit, (it was a Compaq), to swap out the old 300w for another 300w I had in another PC, I couldn't remove the old PS since Compaq riveted the side and top to the frame and thus fastened the PS with an additional side screw which was under the riveted side skin...

after installing everything back in, it still won't power on.. double checked my F-panel power sw and even swapped it both ways to double check if that might have been it..

nada.. won't power on..

So now, the only thing i'm thinking is check the C MOS brty ?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I don't understand, it's a new case and power supply (I suppose PS means power supply)?

Does the computer try to start or not?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I don't understand, it's a new case and power supply (I suppose PS means power supply)?

Does the computer try to start or not?

yes.. new case and PS (power Supply) still no boot

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Are there any LEDs on the MOBO or case to indicate power is getting to the MOBO or to the case?

Could be a bad ground or bad PS.

Also are you 100% sure it was the PS that went bad in her old PC? Could have been the MOBO fried and that was the issue so you are still working with a dead MOBO.

I hate to ask but I will, are you 100% sure you hooked everything up correctly in the new case?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vodo34861
Are there any LEDs on the MOBO or case to indicate power is getting to the MOBO or to the case?

Could be a bad ground or bad PS.

Also are you 100% sure it was the PS that went bad in her old PC?

Could have been the MOBO fried and that was the issue so you are still working with a dead MOBO

I hate to ask but I will, are you 100% sure you hooked everything up correctly in the new case?

None

Also are you 100% sure it was the PS that went bad in her old PC?
No, I wasn't 100% sure, thus the reason I yanked my other 300w to check it out, since I didn't have a digital PS checker (slap my forehead)

Could have been the MOBO fried and that was the issue so you are still working with a dead MOBO
exactally, but, I'm at the point where she can't spend any more $$$ and I'm now looking like the horses ass, and wanting to see if there's possibly anything I've might have missed. I wanted REALLY bad to take the new case & PS back to my house and call a buddy to get a 2nd set of eyes to double check me but, she doesn't want me to take it out of her sight .. she trusts me, but, it's everyone else she can't trust.. like riding a Motorcycle, it's everyone else you have to watch out for ..
Yea, I really don't want to think of the envible .. ;(

At this point i'm scouring the net to find the cheapest MOBO I can get my hands on; Newegg has a couple but, 60+$ is to much, 50$ would be better LOL..

Thx for the reply.. i'll keep you posted and watch the thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Can you get a motherboard from another computer to try with both power supplies, the old and the new?

That way you would know if the problem was from the power supply or not.

You can also try, if possible, a compatible CPU to see if that's the problem.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Are you using the same power cable? and the same socket? Could be a fault with either of those. Something as simple as a blown fuse

[edit on 24-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You can test both power supplies out with a paper clip.
www.overclock.net...
At least it will tell you quickly if they are the good or not. Use a multimeter to test the actual voltages.

Look for swollen capacitors as compaq and dell are pretty common issues with them

A new motherboard will most likely not fit in the compaq case. The mounting locations are usually different.
Even if it fits, the front panel connectors will be an issue. might have to re-wire them if you use the old case.

top topics

join