It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists suggest fresh look at psychedelic substances

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

(Reuters) - Mind-altering drugs like '___', ketamine or magic mushrooms could be combined with psychotherapy to treat people suffering from depression, compulsive disorders or chronic pain, Swiss scientists suggested on Wednesday.

Research into the effects of psychedelics, used in the past in psychiatry, has been restricted in recent decades because of the negative connotations of drugs, but the scientists said more studies into their clinical potential were now justified.
Full Article

I just noticed the last thread made about this was removed, I'm assuming due to the OP promoting the use of drugs. I believe this is an important subject and article, and I want it to see the light of day, so I'm presenting it here properly for intelligent discussion. All too often I see important threads of this nature just completely disappear, and I've managed to resist complaining about it up until now. Is it not possible to discuss a topic of this nature? I'm not changing the subject here, this relates directly to the article. It's because we so harshly reject all that pertains to mind altering substances that it has taken scientists so long to realize the actual potential some drugs may have in potentially many different areas of life. STOP closing the door to answers! Alcohol is toxic as hell, and alters your mind quite a bit, but we accept it like an old friend, I bet I could even start promoting the use of it. There are many other threads on ATS other than drug related ones which could cause people extensive mental damages. If we keep it to the facts without directly promoting the use of potentially hazardous substances, all should be fine.

[edit on 18/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The correct place would probably be here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit to say, that's a cool signiture you got there.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Well, yeah, I was going to put it there, but I figured the original thread was in this forum and it is about medical issues in particular. Though, If a mod wants to move it, I have no problem.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Psychedelics are not medicines. They are poisons.

I can't believe they forgot that mushrooms have these chemicals to ward off and deter being eaten by roaming animals....

Anyways, I know why they want to play with drugs legally. It's obvious. They want to "experiment personally".

Look I think it should be legal for everyone, but this is just a poor excuse to get free legal drugs on the scientists part. IMHO.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
misread post.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

this is just a poor excuse to get free legal drugs on the scientists part. IMHO.
There's really not much I can say in response to that is there, not that I can really argue against that without promoting drugs in some way. It seems you choose to see things one way, and one way only, but there is no need for the snide and quite ignorant attitude you express towards something you are clearly lacking all knowledge of.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I believe they could have potential and it shouldn't be the government's place to make that descision anyway. Think about it, how much more harmful could psychadelics be, than say the drugs pushed on us by big pharma?

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I heard magic mushrooms can cure migraine headaches in very small doses. The patient does not get high from them and in some cases this might be the only cure. There can be no research as long as they are illegal to possess.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Bit strange stating that now considering '___' was made for the treatment of schizophrenia in the first place.
I thought it was almost common knowledge that these types of drugs can make or brake ones mind.

Interesting non the less, thanks OP.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Psychedelics can give patients a new perspective [..]"
said Franz Vollenweider of the Neuropsychopharmacology and brain imaging unit at Zurich's University Hospital of Psychiatry,
who published a paper on the issue in Nature Neuroscience journal.

a scientist in need of a funded project, to feather his nest for 5-to-10 years of research/grant funded monies.

typical,
the man is convinced his study & methodology, together with brain imaging, will be an upgraded textbook study that will be the authority on psychedelics as therapy for the 21st century.

who can say he's not correct or just full of hubris

[edit on 18-8-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Think about it, how much more harmful could psychadelics be, than say the drugs pushed on us by big pharma?
Real research might reveal many of the so called "safe" drugs they hand out are actually a lot more damaging when used in the same amounts other illegal drugs. What I'm saying is, when used in small amounts for medicinal purposes etc, the damage is minimal and comparable to any given legal drug. The damage is due to abuse of any given substance, and some druggies abuse some drugs a lot, and they look and feel like crap. But I imagine you would look like crap and feel like crap if you abused legal drugs. Sure, some illegal drugs are just absolutely poisonous and not to be taken ever, but there are others that deserve a closer look...specifically things like '___', '___', MDMA etc.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

well said

sorry but second line

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is a good thread and I commend you OP but I have a feeling its about to go to the 404. Which is a shame as psycheldics are the way forward in my honest opinion. Under the right supervision and counselling they can benefit our race tremendously. The work carried out by the lat great John Mack proves this in its entirety. If the thread stays open I will add some more to it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

This is a good thread and I commend you OP but I have a feeling its about to go to the 404.
That would be outright censoring, we haven't (well I haven't) promoted drugs in any way. If a mod feels any poster here has promoted the use of drugs that post can be removed as a violation of T&C as is normally done on any other occasion, there is no need to remove this whole thread, and given my history with "The real ATS conspiracy" thread, it would be a bad move.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I can only speak for myself and say I think my um experiments with them have opened my mind too understanding dimensional thinking for just one example.

I think in the past and probably now as well, the government hasn't been so nice with their own forms of experiments. Somehow I don't think the government would like to see people find the miracle pill that makes them happy, or would cure any ailments. That would defeat a lot of their agendas. Sad really, because Mother Nature does have quite a bit to offer on all mental and physical fronts.

I suppose the good news is not all countries are bound by controlling laws as the USA. Perhaps the scientist in Holland or other open minded countries will discover things. Of course the best magical cures would probably still be deemed illegal here or tarnished over to save the Big Pharmacy if you know what I mean.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by yigsstarhouse]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
there was already a thread on this not very long ago.

'___', MDMA, and psilocybin(mushrooms) are being studied for medicinal potential at the multidisciplinary association for psychodelic studies.

www.maps.com

they have been going on for over 2 years now and have made a lot of progress.

those who think this is just to "Get high" have done absolutely zero research into the field, and are just making assumptions.

MDMA was a prescription drug for PTSD(amongst other disorders) for years before it was scheduled.

Psilocybin's effect on cluster headaches has been known and documented for years, nobody likes to talk about it, although the treatment did make an appearence on an episode of "house".

'___' - well documented. officially and unofficially.

MAPS also pioneered the research of Ibogaine, the "anti addiction" plant compound.

and the cannabis research is well documented.

it is my belief that the whole "getting high" aspect was artificially promoted and subsequently banned from society, to deter any potential medical/spiritual research that will in the end put big pharm out of business, and reveal certain parts of the human mind that have been being controlled and manipulated for a long time.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The ancient Greeks were using mind altering substances millenia ago. They were some of the most learned, intelligent and creative people ever. Most of the Greek Gods are depicted holding psychedelic plants of some kind.

"For two thousand years before its eradication by Christians in the fourth century A.D., the celebration of the Eleusinian Mysteries was the peak-experience of the ancient Greeks, a “holy institution,” according to religion historian Huston Smith, for regularly opening ”a space in the human psyche for God to enter.”

www.psychedelicadventures.com...

The Church didn't like the idea of people getting closer to God without their permission of course, so had them made illegal, with the death penalty for their use. So yes, I think more research should be done as to the effects of mind altering substances. Perhaps learning to become closer to God would lead us away from the war, destruction, depravity that plagues humanity.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
How would they continue to propagate all the false religions if those substances were legal for spiritual purposes. How would big pharma continue to sell drugs that only treat the symptoms, if psychedelics provided a cure for addictions/depression.

'___' has been used under controlled conditions with 80% cure rate for certain addictions.

There's a big difference between using those things for spiritual purposes and abusing them with ALL the alcohol and weed one can consume in a day.

Members of the Native American Church are allowed to consume Peyote legally.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
If you guys want to know of legal simulants of illegal psychedelics, there's a very little known community called the research chemical community. RCs aren't sold for human consumption, but no one can stop you from selling, making, possessing, taking, or administering them. JWH-018 is currently the most popular RC.

NOT ADVOCATING RESEARCH CHEMICAL USE! It's risk is unknown for the most part, but effect reports are available all over the net.

The RC scene is a HUGE slap in the face of prohibition.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Psychedelics are not medicines. They are poisons.

I can't believe they forgot that mushrooms have these chemicals to ward off and deter being eaten by roaming animals....

Anyways, I know why they want to play with drugs legally. It's obvious. They want to "experiment personally".

Look I think it should be legal for everyone, but this is just a poor excuse to get free legal drugs on the scientists part. IMHO.

Hey muzzle. I usually agree with most everything you say here on ATS, but I think you may be missing what psychedelics are responsible for. I know you think they should be legal, we both agree politically just about the same, so there's no problem there.

But if your only reason for it being a 'poison' is because they have "chemicals to ward off and deter being eaten by roaming animals", then you shouldn't eat peppers either (known to prevent cancer). Or chocolate (known to have anti-oxidants), or caffeine, or any other host of food that affects body chemistry, hell, food in general.

In fact, one leading theory to how man sparked his higher consciousness is with psychedelics 40k years ago. And all the sudden, language and art was forged. Just sayin'.

Not an attack post, this is more of a, "Here, consider this" post.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join