It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unidentified Object Photographed By Cassini?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Hi guys! Now this one has me stumped. Here are a series of images taken by Cassini of an object near Saturn. This one was put together as an animation by Slushpup that clearly shows an object ‘moving’ from left to right.

To me it seems it is the result of camera exposure where a number of images of a Moon of Saturn have been snapped over time resulting in an elongated shape. But oddly, the shape is retained throughout. If its about different camera angles, then Saturn and its rings should have gone out of the frame progressively. But this hasn't happened.

So what could this be the result of? There's got to an explanation for this. Any ideas? I find it difficult to believe that it’s an alien craft! That would be a tremendous leap of faith!!

Here are the images.

The NASA images are here….

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

Courtesy: Slushpup

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I couldn't help but notice how the outer ring looks brighter in the second, third and fourth photo. Could that be the result of over-exposure or....is it the other way around? Did the anomaly cause the brightness?

[edit on 6-6-2010 by One Moment] Having trouble posting.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by One Moment]Sorry for the edits

[edit on 6-6-2010 by One Moment]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

To me it seems it is the result of camera exposure where a number of images of a Moon of Saturn have been snapped over time resulting in an elongated shape. But oddly, the shape is retained throughout. If its about different camera angles, then Saturn and its rings should have gone out of the frame progressively. But this hasn't happened.

I think you're spot on here, as far as the rings not moving and Saturn remaining in frame and the "Moon" moving makes perfect sense, as the "Moon" would be orbiting during the photo session. It's the same w/ the SoHo images and Mercury/Venus, where as the Sun is stationary from the shot and the Planets orbit accordingly and can show image anomalies that are quite frequently discussed on ATS. Just a casual observation mind you

ETA: S&F for the find, thank you for posting it

[edit on 6/6/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

My guess....over-exposure

[edit on 6-6-2010 by One Moment]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Does look a little bit like these...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6-6-2010 by guessing]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I do like the triangle that's in one Moments 2nd picture..

Triangles everywhere now

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I think the idea of over exposure is spot on, if you take a close look at the object you will see dents and ridges along the edges of top and bottom, these dents and ridges match eachother in position as they would in an overexposure..

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
It seems like a giant moving street lamp to me, at least like the one on my street..

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
A similar object shot in infrared by Hubble in the rings of Saturn! Now there's gotta be an explanation for this too!

HST WFPC2, Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI)

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ColonelSF

The Saturn stuff is mind boggling. Am I correct in saying that in the book " Ringmakers of Saturn" one of the ships was estimated to be 30,000 miles long.

Jaw-dropping stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

It would be handy if you could post the time frame for the series of pictures.
As the image in the OP looks like the images is moving rather fast, it may create an illusion.

In reality, the images may have been time lapse captured over days.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Munji

Yes! That's right. Objects thousands of miles long! Now what these are is a mystery. There's an interesting thread here on ATS by mikesingh, Gigantic Alien Craft Photographed By Cassini! NASA’s Cover-Up Blown?

And there were similar elongated objects photographed by SOHO near the Sun. But these could be glitches in the CCD cameras which most probably they are.

But the jury is still out on the objects photographed by Cassini and Voyager spacecraft.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Munji

The Saturn stuff is mind boggling. Am I correct in saying that in the book " Ringmakers of Saturn" one of the ships was estimated to be 30,000 miles long.

Jaw-dropping stuff.

This means that this so called Star Ship could wrap around the Earth with 5,000 miles to spare. The enormous size is mind boggling. ^Y^

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I cant even fathom a ship 3 miles long let alone one 10,000 times the size, I often wonder if this stuff is being hidden from us simply because of our inability to truly process the reality of some of this technology.

Recently watched an interview with Jordan Maxwell who claimed Saturn has huge ties with ancient cultures. Could we have distant ancestors that far out?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro
As the image in the OP looks like the images is moving rather fast, it may create an illusion.

Thanks.

Hi atlasastro. Cassini's cameras have 63 different exposure settings, from 5 milliseconds to 20 minutes. Scientists planning an observation must choose the exposure for each image taken. It's difficult to guess what they were planning to see in these particular images and thus the time of exposure/time lapse.

Images can be purposely overexposed for example if the scientist is looking for something dim in intensity as a result of which the bright object may become overexposed.

Also, Optical Navigation personnel often overexpose images to see where Cassini is relative to Saturn and its moons because they need to see where these moons are in relation to the stars in the background sky.

But this particular set of images in the OP doesn't seem to conform to the above!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX

But this particular set of images in the OP doesn't seem to conform to the above!

Why not?

And, do you know where I can get the exposure settings, as obviously, it is an important aspect of this picture and of great relevance to the image and the questions you ask in the OP.

Is it possible to link the Raw image page from Casinin@nasa that these were lifted from?
That would be great if that was possible.

Thanks.

[edit on 6/6/10 by atlasastro]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Here's another interesting image. This one from Marduk...

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

Enlarged...

Photographic glitch for sure! Or which moon of Saturn is this one? Looks pretty odd for a moon though!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

Thanks.

If the hubble photo had been lapse captured would'nt the stars in the background look different?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Wow
that reminds me of the Arthur C. Clarke book "Rendezvous with Rama."

Great book BTW.

It also looks like the probe from "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a ship that big would be lol
2nd line

top topics

<<   2  3 >>