It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parallel Universe! The home test!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I did'nt try the light trick but I did have a great time in the bathtub!!

It took me an hour to mop up the water off the floor though.

Good topic

X

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Newton noticed this effect more than 200 years ago, and wrote about it in his "Optics." He suggested it as a test for inaccuracies in lenses.

Particle theory doesn't allow for additive power of energy. But wave theory does. The problem with quantum theory is that it has dropped the wave-evidence for electromagnetic radiation; it only explains the particle side of life.

Any good physics textbook ought to explore this. Remember, in science, the simplest explaination is almost always the best.

True, but these books only explore this from the point of view of EITHER waves OR particles. As you say, particle theory works for one set of observations, and wave theory with another, so one or the other (or both) must be wrong or incomplete.

There isn't a simple explaination yet as to HOW can light act as both a particle and and a wave at the same time.. The answer is probably very simple, but it's one that science just doesn't know yet! This "unification theory" is the one of the great scientific quests of modern times... and you can illustrate the issue on your kitchen table!

How cool is that?!!

EDIT : PS.. to the mods.. how many ats points do we get for nailing this one between us?

[edit on 10-6-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Hey, Thats a really cool test youve found there. I tried it at home with my laser pointer that cost me $7.50CDN rather that $19. I thought there was some sort of a trick to it, but somehow it worked both ways.

Really awesome it does prove the test

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by amantine
I don't see a reason for parallel universes in this experiment. If you simply see light as a wave, the experiment is nothing more than an interference experiment. Deutsch wants to explain this particle/wave duality with parallel universes, which might be true, but I don't think this is required to explain the phenomena.

Now, you might think that, however, (As a rough translation) the reason it behaves as a wave is that they are singular photons interacting with each other.
In an experiment, they held a beam of light so weak that only one photon was allowed out at a time against the paper, and it produced the same effect, a sort of dot pattern in the five slit pattern on an powerfully sensitive sensor. Now, if it were tested at such an extreme measure (In a relative vacuum, of course.), then what interference was there? In fact, there was none, and thusly proved the existance of other, parallel unverses.

Of course, this could all be another unique phenomena altogether, there's no certain way of telling. This is all speculation, but damned good speculation. Hells, if you think about it, hundreds, nay, thousands of scientific theories have been proved false. So in reality, we could be wrong. It is always good for us to remember to be open to that possibility. When we stop believing that we could be wrong... then mistakes are made, and ignorance rears its ugly head.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The more I am reading up on this, the more interested I am getting, My own thread is actually put me on a quest to read up on it, and its fascinating, albeit a bit complex to get your head round at first, I am going to try this myself when I get a laser pointer lol. PS would be interested to see those photographs if anyone takes any, would be cool to see that.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This sounds like, from the skim I gave the article, superposition or wave/particle duality..
I dont see how it has anything to do with parallel universes..
I do believe in them (Well, if we can prove the graviton, I will definitely believe in them), but I dont see how you can claim this is related to parallel universes...
Any scientists (professional) want to come in here? Or perhaps they are ignoring the thread because it's a silly claim..

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
That link doesn't work for me.

<< 1   >>

join