It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maher: Obama not acting like a "Real Black" President

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

www.realclearpolitics.com...

HBO's Bill Maher: "I thought when we elected a black president, we were going to get a black president. You know, this [BP oil spill] is where I want a real black president. I want him in a meeting with the BP CEOs, you know, where he lifts up his shirt where you can see the gun in his pants. That's -- (in black man voice) 'we've got a motherfu**ing problem here?' Shoot somebody in the foot."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-5-2010 by dolphinfan]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There is no way that this is not racist. No way

Let wait and see how long it takes for the media to express outrage, the black leaders too.

This is typical hyprocracy that we see. If a conservative person, say Dennis Miller came out with this, there would be comments all over the media.

Not with their darlings Maher or Stewart.

Let along its not funny

It will be a long wait

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-5-2010 by dolphinfan]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
yeah, it's racist. but it's also kinda funny. please. it can be both. i chuckled. the scenario was funny, and the point is taken...we need somebody to threaten these corporate punks.
and bill has always been politically incorrect, right? he doesn't care what you think. kinda admirable. IMO.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think that was funny.

I think most black people would also find that funny.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
hahah, yeah this is because we didn't elect a black guy, we elected an elite power/money hungry scum.
He is just like all the rest.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

And to think people accused Bush of having a cowboy mentality, but now they want Obama to act Ghetto?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Ohh come on, it's Bill Maher.

He's a comedic genius and although it's a bit racist, it's really funny.

I highly doubt he meant it as any form of social commentary. This was said during his monologue, which is 10 minute stand up act basically.

Keep the laughs coming Bill.

Let's not start censoring comedy and labelling those who make jokes racist...

~Keeper

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

There is certainly a double standard.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Bill wanted this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f1df15f512b.jpg[/atsimg]

But he admits that the POTUS is this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41abdd5a6529.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Not that I care for Obama ....still think he's an Illuminati puppet (change? what change? It seems to be like all the others when they were prez)

But for the life of me i can't understand how anyone can watch Maher .....when I realized that he is an Over-inflated Ego-maniac and that the majority of people who watch them are also self-centered Afliction t-shirt wearing douche-bags ...is when I finally destroyed my television

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I have to disagree with the OP, I find it very funny. I think most people in our modern world have moved past the stereotypes, and can poke fun at one another (and god forbid themselves) without the underlying hatred that racisim embodies.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
Not with their darlings Maher or Stewart.

Please don't equate Bill Maher and Jon Stewart.

I think Bill Maher is a 'hater'... there's a nasty and judgmental edge to his comedy that I really don't find all that funny, anymore. I don't think he's a racist, but I think he denigrates and insults anyone who doesn't share his worldview. It's the kind of divisiveness that drives people apart.

I think that Jon Stewart, on the other hand, uses comedy to underscore the absurdity of the lines we draw between ourselves. Mostly politically, but also racially and nationalistically. Plus he doesn't take himself too seriously, unlike Maher.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Almost as funny as "Barack the Magic Negro"

How many people standing up for Maher, stood up for Limbaugh playing "Barack the Magic Negro" on his radio show?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Almost as funny as "Barack the Magic Negro"

How many people standing up for Maher, stood up for Limbaugh playing "Barack the Magic Negro" on his radio show?

Maher making a joke about Obama not being "black" enough is VERY different from playing a song that includes a racial slur towards the President.

What Limbaugh did was disrespectful, it wasn't a joke for him, it was social comentary based on what Obama ran on, which was change. Hence "Magic".

There's a very wide difference between the two.

~Keeper

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Dude Bill Maher is nothing more than a comedic politial commentator. WHO CARES? I thought it was funny as hell, and I guarantee you any black man not suffering from uncle tom syndrome would think the exact same thing. He was merely talking about the fact that he expected a more radical POTUS, a man who represents the heart of the black community, the rejection of all the white-collar BS and talk. He was wrong, Obama is whiter than most in terms of his attitude.

I would love to elect a radical black man as leader, a man who doesnt stand for the dog and pony crap. A man who effects change while pissing off every stuck-up old white man in congress.

this really is a non-issue OP. I've heard stand-up comedians, even on comedy central, make much more insulting and racist jokes about Obama. Don't get your panties in a ruffle.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Maybe this is what Maher is looking for, the 1st black president:

Back in the 70s everybody seemed to laugh about stuff and get along.

link   
This doesn't insult Obama but it stereotypes African Americans.
IMHO

link   

Limbaugh did not coin the phrase "magic negro". David Ehrenstein of the LA Times did and did it in all seriousness when talking about how pissed off Sharpton was that he did not receive the same limelight as Obama. Limbaugh put it to music, but did not initially coin the phrase.

For folks who take every little disagreement of Obama as racist to now not consider this bit racist is comedy, certainly funnier than the Maher bit.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I think Bill Maher is a 'hater'... there's a nasty and judgmental edge to his comedy that I really don't find all that funny, anymore. I don't think he's a racist, but I think he denigrates and insults anyone who doesn't share his worldview.

bill's show features a round table discussion that nearly always gives a platform to differing views. the daily show is a scripted, stilted, often preachy platform for jon stewart's (and his writer's) views only. judgemental? you must be joking. go watch the daily show again with an eye toward 'judgemental'. it's laughable.

but they're both just comedy shows really. not a big deal either way. IMO.

edit to say....i can never get the quotes right...the response is mine and not a quote. ty.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by joechip]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by joechip]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

dolphinfan responded perfectly to your uniformed response.

Simple case of Limbaugh pointing out something that a black liberal columnist says and he gets branded a racist for it. Very typical though.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Carseller4]

<<   2  3 >>

join