It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have Become Gods ,Scientists Create first Synthetic Living Cell

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

This is a dual edged move. It is a deception. Like a celebrity death, locked in to enable cap and trade passage. There's so much heat under them that you shall instead debate what Gods you are.

This will occupy precious time until they get everyone to accept that it's 'time to nuke' the oil gash. This will give hope that you can be immortal. I am guessing that when I refresh the browser, this topic will fill the column?

It may very well be old news. I do believe the timing is the main thing, here.

Not to stray, but we know, that they know, that we know...all about...them.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Looking_Glass

We have Become Gods was meant metaphorically not literally

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

The new discovery is definitely interesting and thought provoking. Mankind's intelligence is amazing.

However, a majority of Theists believe that God creates matter simply by speaking it into existence.

The title of your thread indicates mankind may be experiencing psychosis...

Megalomania = A psycho-pathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence.

Narcissism = Inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity.

GOD help us.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This means someday soon a man will be able to order a wife to his exact specifications. No more having to date.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
J. Craig Venter Institute

FIRST SELF-REPLICATING SYNTHETIC BACTERIAL CELL (Overview)

In a publication in Science magazine, Daniel Gibson, Ph.D. and a team of 23 additional researchers outline the steps to synthesize a 1.08 million base pair Mycoplasma mycoides genome, constructed from four bottles of chemicals that make up DNA. This synthetic genome has been "booted up" in a cell to create the first cell controlled completely by a synthetic genome.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b9d5586bc85.jpg[/atsimg] The assembly of a synthetic M. mycoides genome in yeast.

Figure from Gibson, D. G., J. I. Glass, et al. 2010. Creation of a bacterial cell controlled by a chemically synthesized genome. Science, Published online May 20 2010.

[...]

The ability to routinely write the software of life will usher in a new era in science, and with it, new products and applications such as advanced biofuels, clean water technology, and new vaccines and medicines. The field is already having an impact in some of these areas and will continue to do so as long as this powerful new area of science is used wisely. Continued and intensive review and dialogue with all areas of society, from Congress to bioethicists to laypeople, is necessary for this field to prosper.

Here's the paper: Creation of a Bacterial Cell Controlled by a Chemically Synthesized Genome (.pdf)

Abstract:

We report the design, synthesis, and assembly of the 1.08-Mbp Mycoplasma mycoides JCVI-syn1.0 genome starting from digitized genome sequence information and its transplantation into a Mycoplasma capricolum recipient cell to create new Mycoplasma mycoides cells that are controlled only by the synthetic chromosome. The only DNA in the cells is the designed synthetic DNA sequence, including "watermark" sequences and other designed gene deletions and polymorphisms, and mutations acquired during the building process. The new cells have expected phenotypic properties and are capable of continuous self-replication.

That Venter is a bad MoFo... I see a Nobel coming his way before too long.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

"...as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." Matthew 24:37

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well

if this become big and more advanced ! as this is a stepping stone

the Synthetic Cell are endless ! ive seen the reports and the one that created it said that it will not be used

(in the FAQ it says it NO application's of this work will or should be attempted in Humans Ya Right !!!!! )

Just get Dr Moreau on his isolated island and the best Super Computer and Nanobots and we will have any Animal ,Plant imaginable be created Dragons , Unicorns Mythical Beast!! to Even Dinosaurs Mammoths or a Replicate a synthetic Human !!
Replicant ( BladeRunner ) Nexus 6 or a more Close to reality !
A True Bio Brain ! Like Proteus IV from (Demon Seed ) Dean Kootz Book ..

the list can go on Could it (The Artificial Cell ) be used for as a Genetic Cure for Humans ? Body parts ? Bionic Man i mean Synthetic/Borg (BioShock) or Could the Arty Cell become like ( The Alien from the 1982 Movie the Thing ) if it gets out of Hand ! or become like Zombies ! LOL
Are we be becoming like our maker ! ? are We not made in his Image! ?
are we becoming like the Gods! in a sense I see a FundaMentaList Uprising ! let not have religion stop us again as Religion has been doing this
for the Last 5+ millenniums ! Let Humans Advance!

Some Sources you don't want to Miss !

www.jcvi.org...

FAQ www.jcvi.org...

Factsheet one ! www.jcvi.org...

Factsheet two! www.jcvi.org...

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
They didn't create it from noting so it isn't exactly new life, just modified life. Something like a person who received a heart transplant.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by macb6497
They didn't create it from noting so it isn't exactly new life, just modified life. Something like a person who received a heart transplant.

It's a bit more than that. Heart transplant is more like gene transfer. What they did here is that they sequenced an entire genome and then wrote the same sequence one nucleotide at a time (after some modifications) and then transferred that inside an empty cell.

[edit on 23-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
We haven’t created a synthetic cell; they took synthetic dna and jammed it into a already living cell (a place where it doesn’t belong). Have they told us the results of what the cell did after the experiment (sorry haven’t read up on it all that much just wondering) whether it multiplied, lived, or was it even stable???

I say get ready the zombies are coming. It always starts that way in the movies. “Yay!!! We found the cure for cancer!!!! (Side effects may include zombification)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

All they have actually done is sequence a bit of code and have inserted it into a yeast cell...
...they have not developed the machinery of the cell or cell membrane.

It is a remarkable achievement but the average virus can do more.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Wow! Man has made a germ! This was done with existing nucleotides and patterned after an existing genome!

So what! We were going to figure out the genetic sequencing of a living organism eventually. We shouldn't be "proud" of this accomplishment. Big deal. We "manufactured" a genome from scratch using an existing pattern. I'm not saying that is not nothing, but come on now, the question is how are these nucleotides sequenced in such a fashion that they "communicate" and then replicate into an exact copy of the original. I beleive that if we fail to understand this question then all we've done is open a Pandora's Box.

One day a group of scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way ...
... and no longer needed God. They picked one scientist to go and tell Him that they were done with Him. The scientist walked up to God and said, "God, we've decided that we no longer need you. We're to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don't you just go on and get lost."

God listened patiently and kindly to the man and after the scientist was done talking, God said, "Very well! How about this? Let's have a man making contest."

To which the man replied, "OK, great!"

But God added, "Now we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam."

The scientist said, "Sure, no problem" and bent down and grabbed himself a handful of dirt.

God just looked at him and said, "No, no, no. You go get your own dirt!"

I know the above joke is old but it's still a good one. All I'm saying is that man should never get the "BIG HEAD" although this is somewhat of an accomplishment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join