It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New star in the sky? 10th planet? wtf?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So over the past 1-2 months roughly, I have started to notice this amazingly large and bright light in the night sky. At first I thought it was Venus or something. But it is so bright.

I popped up Google Earth (Sky) and entered my gps location. I have a perfect West view of the night sky (not great due to the city lights haze)

I believed this picture is it do to the fact of the smaller star/planet to the lower left of it I noticed last night.

Can anyone help me on this?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
TryStellarium and see what comes up.

There is a good chance it is Venus, it is very bright right now.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What are the co-ordinates for the star in question?
I'm sure someone will know.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by illustro

I don't know, I'm not that advanced at this. More newbie.

If you face west, say in Arizona. It's about 20 degrees up, 45 degrees west. @ 10PM

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Should be humorous to see all the Nibiru'ers flood this thread claiming its Nibiru, despite the fact that many of them claim that:

1. It is being edited out through all star programs such as google sky

2. Is visible during the day time next to the sun, when it is low on the horizon (funnily enough sundogs also appear in those same conditions :lol

3. Its a brown dwarf (meaning that its only visible via the IR spectrum)

Op, how sure are you, that this is a new star? Could it be on that has gone supernova, and we have only just recieved its light? And why havent any other star watchers, amatuer or proffesional noticed this?

Just a few questions to ponder

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Op, how sure are you, that this is a new star? Could it be on that has gone supernova, and we have only just recieved its light? And why havent any other star watchers, amatuer or proffesional noticed this?

Just a few questions to ponder

xD @ Oz. lol @ nibiruians or w/e.

I think it's a star that went supernova or something similar. The only reason I think it's new is because it's obviously larger and brighter than most stars and planets in the sky.

It's not something I could have just noticed. Maybe it's been there forever and we're finally in a stellar orbit to see it.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well sadly i have seen it too normally around 8pm here in Montreal Canada. when facing north/west I'm no good at directions. I just notice it as around that time i go out for coffee and i have seen it when the sun is setting just past the horizon. Actually that is about the same direction the sun sets is where the star is. (no not saying beside the sun or anything like nibiru.) Just saying its really brighter then all the others and has been around for about 2 months. And that it is in the general direction of where the sun goes down, but slightly more north. Could the super nova still be happening this long ? Every time i go to speak of it i hear it could be Venus. However its been 2 months and unless Venus is now in our orbit wouldn't it have left our view by now too?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by anubis9311

That's exactly what I'm noticing.

Here is the Stellarium pic (I believe). (Kind of funny the constellation it's in.)

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
Sorry that Cant Be venus its not even on Stereo.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I don't believe it's Venus, or any of the 8 planets (We miss you Pluto).
But I'm not sure what you mean by it's not in stereo? I would imagine it's not emitting anything in the spectrum a standard planet would?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I've noticed this as well..I'm located in the Northern Hemisphere. It appears in the NW.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

THis is interesting. Where are the other major planets in the sky right now. Calling someone that knows how to look this up. Can we see Mercury in that position? Agent USA makes a good simple point , Venus is behind the sun right now, so I would say we can't see Venus presently. But, it's probably Venus, see my signature.

I am gonna check this out tonight.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Might be Venus? I'll double check tonight.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
i know as much about astronomy as my dog knows about a bmw 3 series, well im sure my dog knows they look good in red but anyway, im in the uk and will try to figure out which way to look and try to describe what i get. got a crappy lil telescope.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I believe you're looking at either Venus or Capella with the given location and time. Capella is the best fit and the small star alongside would be either HIP23767 or HIP23416 (both magnitude about 3 therefore tiny compared to Capella).

Phoenix, Arizona @ 2000 10/5/2010

Capella Alt 28 Az 308 (NW) Mag 0.08

Venus Alt 15 Az 288 (WNW) Mag -3.94

Mars is Alt 63 Az 239 (W) Mag 0.86 at that time

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I am interested in this thread as well. I would hope there is a resident ATS member who specializes in Astronomy? Maybe the OP could go out on a clear night and shoot some good video of the object in question and try to give reference points for direction. Just a suggestion.
The night sky these days, seems to be full of big bright, colorful, twinkling stars that I guess I just never noticed before, but now, am in awe of every time I look up there. I see some incredible stuff with my high powered binoculars at night. I swear the neighbors think I am a peeping tom. lol

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

I have nioticed a bright morning star about 1 to 2 hours above the dawn (E), and a bright duck star 2+ hours above the sunset (W). Both of these cannot be Venus, of course, and I don't think Mercury strays that far from Sol in it's orbit. With us nearing the point where our solar system is on an equal plane with our galaxy, and no matter the axial tilt of the earth, when the sun comes up and sets, it does so with the densist background of stars.
This is more easily seen in placed where there is little light and you can observe the faint cloudiness that is our arm of the milkyway. When observed, notice it travels almost the same path as the sun.

* The stars I mentioned above were observed, but the rest of this is mere speculation. I tend to bs conclusions like a pro.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Tempest333]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
Sorry that Cant Be venus its not even on Stereo.

I don't understand why it can't be Venus -- and what "STEREO" has to do with it.

Venus is definitely visible in the western sky just after sunset right now, and it has been extremely bright. It has been visible in the west at sunset for a few weeks now, and before that it spent the past several months high in the night sky (and setting in the western sky during the early morning hours). But it is visible right after sunset now, so there is no doubt about the fact that it could be Venus.

Are you trying to day that because Venus isn't appearing in the pictures from STEREO that we should not be able to see it from Earth? The STEREO spacecraft are at the Lagrange points, quite far from Earth. So what they see is not necessarily what we can see from Earth...

...No, Venus is most certainly still visible as an "Evening Star" right before and right after sunset, although in a few month's time it will become hard (or impossible) to see because it will be in the sky close to the Sun during the daylight hours-- until a few months after that when it becomes a "Morning Star" again.

However, for now it is quite visible.

[edit on 5/9/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
ITs just a star. Not this nibiru thing everyone is freaking out about. And if your going to put up a pic and want some answers put up a before and after pic so we know what we are looking at

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sonoflibra

I'm positive it's Capella now.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join