It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MARS ANOMALY: Strange artifact caught by rover.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
First, my personal views, how I came across this image and why I posted it.

I was watching a real boring Alex Collier video from a thread here. While trying to keep awake as Alex droned on, on the right were thumbnails of other videos and the image in the thumbnail caught my attention. I canceled Alex and watched the video which is only a minute-plus. I don't fish for videos at YouTube and seeing this one was accidental.

I do not accept that the "object" seen below is actually metallic, it is most probably an odd-shaped rock. But what an odd shape! To me it resembles the tail of a human airplane so that discounts it right off the bat. Also, it stands out because of the "sand" that it is in and surrounded by it. I don't know if this NASA photo has been enhanced or it's raw. The striations were cause by taking a digital photo of my computer's LCD screen. The photo at the URL is clear.

I have no idea what the object is but have to go with a natural feature and as I said it's probably a rock that like on earth trigger the mind to compare it with known or familiar earth objects. Everything below is associated with the video.

www.youtube.com...
MARS ANOMALY: Strange artifact caught by rover.
Sol 1402, an unusual object was caught by rover spirit ...
It seems to be part of an ancient metallic device buried on the ground... or mining machine?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02618cf7cc69.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 28-4-2010 by The Shrike]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
How familiar are you with mining devices? Try not to get too carried away or too fanciful, it is indeed an interesting pic, but I would say it looks like some kind of wreckage.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Awesome find.

S&F

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
It seems to be part of an ancient metallic device buried on the ground... or mining machine?
Only if we paint the surroundings brown and leave that part in greyscale and enhance the contrast.

If you look at the original photo it doesn't look like that.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
any chance we get hands on the original nasa picture?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Interesting picture.

The shadows are on the lower piece but not the higher vertical piece.

I look forward to seeing our resident experts analysis.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yes, it's "enhanced" for your viewing pleasure.
Here is the unenhanced version. Complete with other jagged rocks

Lots of other jagged rocks.

[edit on 4/28/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well, somebody could pull an ArMap, and track down the original photo and see if there are any other views of it or maybe a decent color image of it rather than the one taken off the video screen. These kind of things have a way of evaporating if they're looked at from a different angle.

Or, it might actually be a small piece of debris left over from the landing of the rover. There was actually quite a bit of it around the landing/crash site. This could be a piece of it.

I'm pretty lazy, though. "yawn"

P.S. -- Oops. Phage beat me to it.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

Before it gets out of hand, I never said "mining device." As a matter of fact I disassociated myself from any claims (good pun there!
)
by stating: "Everything below is associated with the video."

[edit on 28-4-2010 by The Shrike]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Providing an enhanced picture to present an anomaly is not what I would consider a proper introduction in your thread.

With that being said, even in the original picture that thing sticks out like a sore thumb. I wont pretend to know what it is but I would be interested to know the scale of the object.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Even in the unenhanced view it still doesnt look like it should be on mars. Im not goin to say its an alien spaceship either, more likely to be debris....but from what?.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I definately agree that it is probably some debris, but as what stated above, from what exactly? Possibly a wreck from a previous venture onto the "Red Planet"?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

Shrike why did you take a photo of your computer screen?

Here's the link to the original photo-

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
An odd shape rock eh, that is laughable.

Second line.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That object doesn't look like a rock.
It does look like a piece of discarded equipment.
The upper part seems to be hollow (dark shadow).
The lower part doesn't look like rock at all.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
plus...there's that thin curved piece to the right

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Is there some kind of scale that would give us an idea of how big that object is?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
Even in the unenhanced view it still doesnt look like it should be on mars. Im not goin to say its an alien spaceship either, more likely to be debris....but from what?.

Alien... popcorn cooker?

I'm thinking that unless somebody flies up there to check out what it's made from, manufactured plastic or metal, for instance, I'm willing to just let it lie there and be an alien rock. Because if I don't know, then what's the difference? Unless we (you) can prove it to be anything else and not just imagine it to be something else, then we're pretty much stuck with the most likely explanation. An interesting looking but otherwise ordinary rock.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Even in the gray scale version it looks like 'something' I don't know personally it kind of jumps out to my own eyes; maybe it's because of all the shadows around it?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Something else that caught my attention is half way down the right side of the image. It's very thin and arched over to make a little recess area.

Edit: That someone else appears to have spotted as well.

[edit on 28/4/2010 by invetro]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join