It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any ATSer that knows programming willing to take on an "apprentice"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This may sound crazy, but I have always had the urge to learn programming. I would like some people not really to teach me, but to let me U2U them if I have questions, and wouldn't mind helping me every once in a while... I just want to teach myself.

I already can read and partially write HTML.
I know some Python programming.
I would like to learn JavaScript

I just want to know the beginning stuff so I can make things like programs, games, and tools. If you have questions just ask.

Mods, if this is the wrong place, just move it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
you know more than i do, would you be willing to take on an apprentice?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I know enough Javascript to be able to correct someone else's code and to look for something I need on the Internet, but unfortunately I do not know many things.

Anyway, you can ask me anything if you want to, the worst thing that can happen is that I answer "I don't know", the best is that your question sparks my interest about some thing and I also learn something in the process.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I can help out in the area of PHP, MySQL stuff and HTML/CSS if necessary, got a bit of experience with Perl but PHP is where I get the most done.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

If you have any Javascript/Java/C/C++/maybe C# (don't really use it anymore)/PHP questions, plus a few other languages, you can message.

Me or my programmer friends will usually have an answer. Eventually. When we get around to it. Probably on a Tuesday cause I don't really do anything on Tuesdays.

But when asking questions about programming it's probably best to ask how a simple command works or a keyword or a line of code you saw on the net or in a book. You probably don't want to ask questions like, how do I make a complete program? Or how do I make my own Facebook like web page? It's amazing how many people ask me that. When I explain the complexity of it the next question invariably is, can you do it for me? lol. The answer of course is not for free.

Also, I'm comp sci. Some computer scientists can talk about theory for three weeks and never produce an actual line of code. It's absolutely amazing how unproductive we can be sometimes without putting any effort into it. Most of the time it's not like that, but it happens.

So, if you ask something like how do I make my own Facebook or Myspace service to most programmers you'll probably just get this big technical/philosophical discussion about the 18.2 million completely wrong ways to make a web service like Facebook and never actually learn any programming.

So, just keep it to the basics and eventually you'll learn how to build the basics up into something that actually works and does what you want it to. Hope that helps.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by tinfoilman]

top topics

join