It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Final Fantasy XIII vs. Older Final Fantasies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Greetings all.

I had the pleasure of picking up the latest installment of Final Fantasy XIII for 360. I'm a pretty big fan of the series and i've been waiting for this one for a long time. If you can't tell by my avatar, i'd have to say that FF8 is my fav out of the series. I like the whole high school military feeling of it, it's long, has great music, and the characters are pretty enjoyable.

Upon reading the reviews for 13 and playing the first few hours of it, I was a bit disappointed by the change in the series. It seemed very linear and could actually be described as more of an action game than an RPG.

However, 20 hours into the game and i'm loving it. The music and graphics are breathtaking and the story is the traditional top notch, save the world theme you would come to expect from a Final Fantasy game.

Anyone else care to share their opinions on XIII?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
My thoughts...

Meh...

I am returning this game today. Lucky here in Australia... EB Games gives you 7 days money back. I played 5 or so hours. Cut scenes are breathtaking, in game graphics are pretty good (not as good as Uncharted2), camera is annoying, crystalym is an odd way of leveling characters and lastly not much depth when you only control one player in battle.

I have enjoyed the game so far... but...

I was looking for a much deeper game and i think this would have EASILY been achieved by having the other party members set to auto as default with live action. For those looking for more depth, if you wanted to, you could change settings to allow full control and maybe turn based action.

If i remember correctly, Tales of Symphonia for Gamecube had the above mentioned options and i LOVED that game.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Just wanted to add that i know full combat gets unlocked around 20hours in AND i have watched battles at full unlock so i know the depth just isn't quite there.

One of the most hardcore franchises in gaming have pandered to the mass market of casual gamers.

I thought that was the point of Crystal Chronicles and all those other SquareEnix games.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
in my opinion this game is freaking amazing. i can see how the hardcore fans are not happy with it but I have enjoyed all the final fantasies and this one is no exception. i haven't finished the game yet so i can't say its the best in series but in my eyes it will take alot for me to find something better than 7.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by mvirata]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

I have to agree, VII was the best in my book! The storyline is what did it for me... somehow the others haven't been able to really draw me in like that one. Also, it was the first rpg I played all the way through, and at the time, the cgi was amazing

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
7 was the first game that me so emotionally attached to the characters. especially when she died. it was nice to see her again in advent children.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This may not count, but it was made by Square so I'm submitting it.

Chrono Trigger = Best RPG In the history of the genre.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

i missed out on it but i hear that it is the best in many circles! i also thought i heard remake a few years back... maybe.....

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
In a Best RPG Ever contest Chrono Trigger could tie with Earthbound.

Super Mario RPG too.

But this is a subject about Final Fantasy so i´ll throw my vote.

Final Fantasy II(English version, known in Japan as Final Fantasy IV)

[edit on 5/4/10 by Bildeberg]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I am still trying to finish 10. So in about 15 years or so if I finish 13 I will let you know. *laughs*

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yeah, CT was awesome. Beat the PS1 remake a few years ago, the one that came coupled with FF4. It's definitely one of the best SNES games.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I bought FFXIII as soon as it was released but have only played it for a couple of hours. Seems OK, but I'm not too keen on the whole following a set path feel to it so far.
My favorite is FFVII ( of course! ). It took a while to get into it , but once I got on to that world map I loved it. The freedom to go everywhere plus all of the mini games, it was great, and I played it several times and in different ways.
FFXIII can't be too bad though as though I've not had much chance to play it again lately, my son has been on it constantly!

I'm just hoping though that the rumours of a FFVII remake are true.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pantha

I havent gotten that far but I hear at 20 hours into the game you get your freedom. It just takes a while. Also, they have been talking about the ff7 remake for YEARS now. Square says they don't do remakes but $$ talks and if it makes them millions they will do it. I don't know if it will make it to this generation, we can only hope.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Honestly, I was disappointed.

I've been a fan since (American) FFII, and this is a Final Fantasy game in name only.

It's just another see-how-fast-you-can-push-the-button game.

TheAssoc.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Im with the above poster, quite disapointing.
This final fantasy was a decent RPG, but it is not worthy of the title 'final fantasy'.

IMO the last true final fantasy was Final Fantasy 10.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think the new Final Fantasy stinks beyond belief! For starters controlling one char at a time is terrible, no challenge there at all. Weapons system is so horrible I won't even bother talking about it. Story line will put you to sleep at best. Graphics are wonderful can't complain there. The open would system is the pits and terribly small. So far I'm on chapter 11 or 12 and have found 0 challenge in this game. I've played every FF out there and this is a very very sad example of the game. Hard core FF players that I know are extremely turned off by the new game.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by KainRich

In my oppinion, 8 is the best. Played it to death! Then 7.
I havnt played the new one. I still dont even have a ps3!!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
ff13 is a good game. My fav ff game is 12 the last guest in that you have to fight a dragon yazimat wich I never got around to kill him but its a challenge a fast kill is abouth 2 hours fighting him averege is abouth 4 hours fighting him. ff13 has no extreme challenges like that, its the only let down. And the best squre rpgs are xenogears and chrono triger they nead to remake thouse two games.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
reply to post by KainRich

In my oppinion, 8 is the best. Played it to death! Then 7.
I havnt played the new one. I still dont even have a ps3!!

Yeah your made of awesome^^

I was hooked on 11 for a few years but I finally got off of it. I don't have the money to afford paying the monthly fee.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I don't line-up for the newest FF when it comes out, I actually have to see someone else play it to judge whether I should get it or not. I first saw FFVII being played by a friend and upon getting a psx, asked my mom to get it for me. So I start to unwrap a gift that is shaped like FFVII and I get really happy until I notice there is trouble in paradise.

There was an extra roman numeral and my first thought was "Oh god, not that game whose demo I played with that #ing robotic spider". Turns out its my favorite game of all time. It also has the most unique (albeit incredibly easy tp break if you know what you're doing) battle system.

You no longer level to gain strength, you acquire magic through various means that makes you stronger by assigning it to a stat. You can be a beast at level 11 or you can be getting slaughtered at level 45 because the monsters level up with you. And there's time compression. Amazing concept and video.

I've played 4 (GBA remake), 7, 8 and 10. The only other one in the series I intend on getting at this point is 6. I'm undecided if I'm going to go after the original snes version or the gba remake (maybe even the DS remake I hear is in the works). The newer FFs just don't seem to stack up to the older ones IMO. I got a demo for 12 with DQ8 and I just wasn't into it.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Eitimzevinten]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join