It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Discovery about the Fabric of Space-Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Hello Fellow ATS members Check out this video on new discoveries about Fabric of Space-Time. The new discoveries will change our understanding about the universe and about anything else you could probably think of
. I did a ATS search and didn't find any threads about it.

Enjoy the video

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Rentor]

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Rentor]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
maybe it's because i'm stupid.
maybe it's because i'm drunk.
maybe it's because i'm only watching this cause my wife bought a dumb movie from redbox.

is it just me or did they just say that both sides of the findings were true? the higher frequency light particle both did and did not reach earth at the same time.

eh... ok?

lthen they go on to say that the objects speed break einstein's theory because the bubble wrap of space time slows objects down. am i f'n crazy or is that the same as saying that cars moving slower on the highway due to air pressure is proof of einstein's theory beign wrong?

lastly, this is not even to mention that they specifically said at the beginning of teh video that they don't even know if the one particle was slower because of their theories or because it was released shortly after the first.

someone please wake me from this nightmare. is this a book selling contest or what?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
So two photons hit a sensor at slightly different times.

Then they jump the gun, and automatically throw out the idea that "Maybe they left at different times" and cling to the idea that "They left at the same time but reached the sensor at diff times."

Now they are saying the "Fabric of space time" is like some plastic bubble wrap. Which is pure non-sense. Space-time is clearly not a piece of plastic with little balls rolling on it. That's absurd. It's not "Like it" either. Terrible comparison, IMHO.

Anyways, I am having a hard time giving these people any credibility. They are simply making stuff up, and willfully ignoring simpler explanations. Plus they have no proof when the 2 photons left in the first place, its all asinine assumptions.

These guys need to get fired for wasting tax money on bogus junk. Let someone more scientific use those expensive satellite telescopes.

Astrophysics??

More Like Astrofantasy!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Moodle

Don't pay much attention to the astrofantasists, they will just make up junk to keep their tax guzzling jobs.

Thats where the real truth is. $$$$

Your questions are legit. You aren't crazy or dumb.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wow, I think this is fascinating. ..... just the idea, the possibility that higher [orbital?] energies could interact with "something" creating ..... what to call it.... drag? and resulting in an overall lower velocity...

If that could be shaped into a neat little equation with the elegance of Einstein's, that could lead to the Holy Grail -- the unification of the constants c and g.

Sure, it's speculative. But just think of it -- to be able to describe lightspeed as a function of gravitation or vice-versa.... no wonder it's been called the Theory of Everything.

After humans tackle that, then we might see that it's once again, just a teensy little piece of a dazzlingly infinite puzzle. Assuming, of course, that we don't vaporize our piddling little butts first, we might actually be able to figure out and realize just how much we don't know.

Thanks, OP. Interesting and potentially exciting. I hope we hear more.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
While we were watching the video my 13 year old son said, "So that's what female scientists really look like!"

I thought I was opening his mind to the wonders of space & time, he was checking out the science babe.

Regarding the more important parts of the video; I don't see how they can rule out that the particles were ejected at different times. This event happened billions of years ago. To assume that they were generated at exactly the same moment is a huge leap of faith.

[edit on 2/4/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Its probably due to other related studies they have done here on earth...that gives them the assumption of that.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think they said the arrival time was only 900 milliseconds apart. That is indeed amazing. I wonder what kind of time differential they were expecting. It seems that they were expecting that the fabric of space time is frothy. for lack of a better word. But the experiment seems to indicate that Einstein was correct after all, The fabric is smooth even at the quantum level.

Nice video. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
I think they said the arrival time was only 900 milliseconds apart. That is indeed amazing. I wonder what kind of time differential they were expecting. It seems that they were expecting that the fabric of space time is frothy. for lack of a better word. But the experiment seems to indicate that Einstein was correct after all, The fabric is smooth even at the quantum level.

Nice video. Thanks for posting it.

Indeed Einstein was a TRUE genius for his time
But the implications of their discoveries are HUGE

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If they could cause a high energy particle and a low energy particle to experience quantum entanglement they could then accurately determine that they were ejected at the same time and then truly measure the bumpiness of space time.

Unfortunately they might have to wait a billion years to get their results.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
If they could cause a high energy particle and a low energy particle to experience quantum entanglement they could then accurately determine that they were ejected at the same time and then truly measure the bumpiness of space time.

Unfortunately they might have to wait a billion years to get their results.

Indeed that is a very good thought..only if they could experience quantum entanglement...but thats behind our capabilities as of now...but one small discover at a time. We will get their sooner or later

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
all in all it reminds me of an old thought of mine.

how the hell does light remain so sturdy after so many billions of years? isn't that like the epitome of a lifetime gaurantee? even stars don't last as long as light particles. how is it physically possible for them to still contain information billions of years later.

(whether travelling through foam or not)

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Sorry posted in wrong thread, please delete.

[edit on 5-2-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Moodle

It is believed by some scientists that there are Primeval Photons that are still around from the big bang. So these photons would be as old as the universe itself making them at least 13 Billion years old. These photons are as energetic as they were when they were created because they do not lose energy until they are absorbed.

IN fact they will never even decay because they are traveling at the speed of a photon, ie the speed of light. No matter what reference frame you view it in it is still traveling at light speed. Thus Photons are inherently immortal.

There is a good discussion of photons here:
www.physicsforums.com... It is just a physics forum but it is very interesting.

top topics

join