It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Schools May Cut Chunk Out of U.S. History Lessons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I honestly had no idea that Americans HAD history lessons?

I guess you learn something new every day eh?

Watch some more Jerry Springer and judge a whole nation would you? These types of statements only prove the ignorance of your country. Anyone who judges a whole nation by what they see on television needs to re-evaluate their own intelligence quotient. I am not calling you an idiot.....that would be mean. I don't know for a fact, but I would bet that you are from Canada.....a country that I have lived in and know first hand that Canadians are nothing more than braggards that boast of things that don't matter and take credit for things they don't do. I recall doing a lot of jobs over there and the Canadians that did nothing and were lazy... lied and told the boss that they did my jobs. Basically, instead of doing the jobs themselves they took credit for the hard work of the American. They didn't get away with it always, but sometimes they did because American's are outsiders in Canada and are treated as such. They think they are smarter than Americans and I know that to be false, as I said, I have lived there. I didn't just see them on TV and judge them, I lived among them. They are trying to be like the French and be intelligent and filled with hubris and contempt for the unintelligent. Both of these personalities disgust me... the one who has the right to boast (French) and the one who is nothing more than a "hood ornament" trying to look good while having nothing to offer really (Canada).....you're Canadian aren't you?

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Phenomium]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium

Watch some more Jerry Springer and judge a whole nation would you?

I don't watch TV.

These types of statements only prove the ignorance of your country. Anyone who judges a whole nation by what they see on television needs to re-evaluate their own intelligence quotient.

It's called a Joke. A stereotype... Like Ozzies are 'known' for beer , drinking and surfing, and British people are known for fighting and good comedy, Americans are 'known' for invading wrong countries, big cars and burgers... Like you are making assumptions in your quoted piece BELOW.

A J.O.K.E....

I don't know for a fact, but I would bet that you are from Canada.....a country that I have lived in and know first hand that Canadians are nothing more than braggards that boast of things that don't matter and take credit for things they don't do. I recall doing a lot of jobs over there and the Canadians that did nothing and were lazy... lied and told the boss that they did my jobs.

That's a hell of a lot of work you did there... If i assume unlike me you are NOT judging a whole nation.

you're Canadian aren't you?

No.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Well, i live in north carolina. I am seriously considering developing some kind of petition against this. This is one of the many reasons why foreigners know american history better than americans.

Does anyone have any kind of information i can get about how to organize, develop, and legal rights (like where i can post up for information) about petitioning?

Great idea!!!! Well, my first thought would be send the petition, phone calls, etc to the N.C. department of education. It baffles my mind how most elected officials consistently discuss the the poor quality of education and need to improve it, yet then go on to suggest something as ridiculous as eliminating the first 100+ years of our founding.

I have gotten into many historical (and other) debates with my foreign friends, while we may not always agree on the core issues it was through these events that, a long time ago, each country will represent itself in the best light to its citizens, and that is largely done through the education system (propaganda if you will). Fine,I get that. I also understand why the more touchy subjects of a nations true history are not addressed until college, I don't necessarily agree with it, but fine. What I do not understand is why even the most basic of basics is being trashed? Why should there be 1 high school student or 1 student entering college that doesn't understand the documents of founding, what it means, what it truly took to build a nation, you know the history.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm not convinced that the teaching of history has ever been handled well.

I can only speak for the Canadian education system, but I suspect this is a North American education system problem.

My own experience was that I thought I received a comprehensive education that included world history and a heavy dose of Canadian history. When my children reached school age I was appalled that world history was ignored and the history curriculum was devoted almost exclusively to Canadian history. There is no way that my children could understand the role of Canada's history in a global context.

Now that I have been exposed to things like political cover-ups, one-sided versions of events, a winner's-only take on how wars were won and compelling alternative history theories that are suppressed or deemed "forbidden knowledge" by an egotistical academia, I'm not so certain that my history education was so hot either. I was expected to accept and believe that Columbus was the first non-native in the Americas.

Changes such as those proposed in the news article of the original post may be a case of further damaging something that is already broken -- not fixing something that that wasn't broken in the first place,

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
"those who don't study history, are DOOMED to repeat it" ...

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GoneGrey

I'm sure most countries probably handle their history lessons the same way. For me, in the US, 1-5 grades were exclusively American history, 6-8 we did more world history but the focus was still on America in relation to global events (at the time NAFTA was a big topic of discussion as were the world wars), grades 9-11 were more of the same from middle school, and in grade 12 we did U.S. Government with all the documents, branches of government, and since when I was in grade 12 it was election we participated by handing out flyers and trying to get people to vote (it didn't matter who we supported as long as we demonstrated we logged the hours). We were highly encouraged/ forced by the hostage taking of our grade to participate, what it means to participate, and honestly it was nice to see the system.

Yes, by the time I got to college and you take U.S. history.....again it can be quite an eye opening experience, the small pox blankets for the Indians, how the Emancipation Proclamation really didn't free slaves until after the war, and so forth. Really, it was basic college history and my love of reading that got me into conspiracies to begin with. Granted not all issues are huge conspiracies, but the little bits that get left out not only within the country's public school accounts, but how different countries can have two different views of the same event or the smaller battles or assassination attempts or what have you that never seem to find their way into my hand by any educational system. Fortunately, most of my college level professors were former diplomats and public servants and even when discussing events that they were present at, you would be hard pressed to find a similar account in any history book.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by searching4truth]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I don't see the issue.

Either way, the American school systems are still a dismal failure that are turning out and graduating people who are essentially group 2 functional illiterates.

graduating them!

I find it ironic that anyone would complain about a dismal education system that isn't valid until you get into the pay as you go portion anyway.

IE: American Universities are great! Everything else below Colleges and trade schools are the bare minimum.

You can get a better education in Cuba essentially.
America should be ashamed of it's public school systems, compared to the wealth and power of the country they are pathetic.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I like the proposal the article states. They want feedback, so some of the drama in this thread is ... meh.

There is always going to be important thing to know about history. The question is that is it important that kids must learn it all. It may be too much. I know how bored of history I was that I think I missed many points. There was too much and way too much detail that I couldn't tell you now what really mattered. I do remember the basic outlines.

If someone wants to be a history buff, let them do it in college.

Modernize our primary/elementary schools such that what they have to offer is about SCHOOL and the importance of kids being together in SCHOOL to work on topics together. That is more important than many subjects. Don't waste their time!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
When I was in high school (a few years ago), we had Global Studies rather than Global History. I think they're exaggerating saying that it talks about the "environment". We'd talk about each country, highlighting their natural resources, industry, policies, etc. I'm sure each of those can be tied into the environment, but the environment was neverrr a main focus. We might have talked about the extreme lack or regulation in China, but thats about it. Or if you consider "environment" learning about the geography of the area...

Our US History was also called 1863-present or something like that; it was the name of the AP course and the general. We still learned about the pre-Columbian times, Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, etc from maybe September-November... .

We mostly focused on WWI, the Great Depression, WWII, the Korean War, civil rights, and the Vietnam War...
Before US History in 11th grade we never talked about these topics, we only learned about the Revolution, Civil War, early presidents, etc... I feel like spending more time on it in 11th grade would have just been dumb.

Not to say that books aren't being watered down...but the news source is Fox, so its probably all an exaggeration about liberal propaganda anyway.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by cg9113]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
This is downright stupid!!!!!! I can't even believe this is a consideration in the North Carolina public education system.

Create a video game that teaches kids these things. Why does it have to happen in the classroom when it could all be taught in a video game?

Kids would have more fun and be more interested in something more immersible like video games, virtual reality, and online resources than then need to sit bored in front of a chalkboard.

Modernize.

EDIT: I think it is more stupid that people don't know how to modernize and yet they still pressure the need to be stuck in the past. Ugh!

[edit on 4-2-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

The history's already been re-written. It's what you were taught. I guarantee you that pretty much everything you know about US history prior to this century is either false, or so heavily coated in a candy propaganda shell that it might as well be false.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I know I'm running late, but I must ask; Are we still at war with East Asia?

My "prime source of enjoyment" seems to be taking up more and more of my days,
but I do find comfort by being watched thru my video viewer as I work!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well since everything from 1877 up is a lie i think they got it covered.
2nd line

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Understand this completely, the U.N. SETS THE CURRICULUM.

They do not want the children to learn about the truth. Our history is so tainted and false anyway, I see that home schooling is the only option.

Get your kids OUT OF THE SYSTEM!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me one bit...I would like to point something out though. Most kids learn about Early US history prior to 9th grade, so no worries. As I remember it 1st through 5th grade was basically World History and Early US History back and forth with varying amounts of information and a certain level of focus. It's actually a good thing to focus on current events and Modern History because of the massive changes going on and expected to come. Plus, if they are really not aware of Early American History they can always chose to learn it on their own at college or ask someone to explain it to them...or Google it.

And yes, I'm well aware not everyone is lucky enough to attend college, even though it's the easiest thing to get a loan for even in today's F'ed up economy!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I recall Orwellian concepts such as ...

Those who control the past control the future,
Those who control the present control the past.

Welcome to newspeak.

double plus good eh?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth

Originally posted by hgfbob

My niece was up last year from N.Carolina during spring break...she brought civics homework to do.....I looked over a few pages and, found a paragraph where the book said....

"NO ONE may question Gov...it has the final word"

that's NOT what I was taught in school here in central Mass.

I was taught the PEOPLE control the Gov.....and to ALWAYS question....not the case today

seems that different parts of the country are having the rules changed

I guess if your going to take over, you need to sneak in the back door.

Are you serious ?!?!
Omg, if that were my child's book I would have been up at the school and that book would have meet with someone's arse
. Absolutely, the government works for the citizens (in the US) it seems that most public servants are power hungry and many citizens are happy to give them that power.

I couldn't believe it when I read it...I thought it was me so I read it again...very disturbing...it basically said, do what we tell you to do...No questions asked.

She is from a small town just outside of Ft.Bragg, next to Fayetteville

*unrelated snippet*
I went down this summer, I was told that the next town over from theirs, fired their entire police force for corruption ....but that's ok, because EVERYONE is armed... guns are a way of life.
I could not believe the arsenal my brother in law has...even made my day when I shot my first 45 and 9mm hand guns

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by djusdjus

That's true and for me that is a HUGE part of the issue, in system that is already lacking, why cut more? If all students had to read as much as we did back even a decade or so ago we wouldn't have so many people with reading problems.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hgfbob

Yes, yes, it will be ok minions, just do what we say when say it and everything with be fine.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Usually I get a chuckle out of many of NWO theories, however one of the parts that stuck out to me was the 9th grade global studies class with its environmental section. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so recall covering the environment in biology, shouldn't it stay in the science curriculum where it belongs instead of dropping the most important years, documents, and people of our history? Owww, my head hurts, and I think I hear Alex Jones.

Except of course, the environment part is happening in the 9th grade and the slicing and dicing of History is in the 11th.

Yes there is a vital science part to the environment issue that should be in the science department, but there is also the political impact on a global scale. I see no problem with dealing with that in "Global Studies", as long as other aspects of "Global Studies" aren't penalized. America is already too isolationist, and getting more so.

As for dropping the first 100 years of the history of American Nationhood, I simply cannot believe that is a serious proposal or that it will get very far. Am History is covered in other years, but get real here.

There was no mention of the 12th grade plan. No change, no plan, or no such year in NC?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join