It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool Science Experiment - Boyd Bushman Idea !

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You can get slightly weaker magnets for half the price at
www.magnet4less.com... . These guys aren't resellers, they're manufacturers. I personally would buy N42 over N45 when testing, for safety reasons.

Check for yourself

www.magnet4less.com...

unitednuclear.com...

They don't need to be blocks, discs will work the same. I recomend you buy a face shield at the hardware store while they are shipped. Goggles fog up too easily and glasses aren't good enough. Like everyone says don't bother machining them. The magnets are preserved best when attached in attraction form and possibly with 2 or more strands placed in parallel fashion. This is how mine were aranged through shipping. If you are going to drop the magnets, they will need cushioning.

It's important to note that Boyd dropped those rocks from an extreme indoor height, one that you could not likely replicate. Personally I'm just taking his word for it. ...Is it OK to stick with internal combustion engines for another 100 years? Hell no.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by GlassRunner]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GlassRunner

You could wrap the magnets in foam.
I guess you could buy 2 big Teddy Bears and stuff them with
the magnets. Let them fall into a sand pit at the bottom.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I love science experiments! This one is definitely on the list for the near future. I will most definitely try to do other things with them as well! Perhaps I may stumble upon something. Probably not, but anything is possible.

My main question is:

How do you physically measure a magnetic field?

----------------------------------------

I noticed in the video it stated we already have the tech to bring ET home. My question there would be, how much exploring have we already done? How much do we not know about? This is definitely enough to inspire anger.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

You can look at it by buying a $6 bottle of iron filings at Amazon.com.
Place on a 3 foot wide white piece of paper. The spill the iron on
the paper and observe. N/S ---- N/N
The ring magnet at united nuclear.com would work best.
Use a silicon bronze bolt/nut/washer from McMaster Carr .com.
Handle the supermagnets with care. They can break a finger or
an arm!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

I good way is to get a really sensitive material with high permeability, like a compass, or a steel piece of fishing wire, or just iron shavings. Then slowly approach those objects with your magnet from different angles and take note of the distance your magnet is when the objects react and move.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

So basically what your telling me is I should be terrified of these magnets while I am trying to clamp them together.

Oh well, I don't mind broken bones in the NAME OF SCIENCE!!!

[edit on 1-12-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

You can use a bipolar hall effect sensor with an analog output. Measure the output using a multimeter. The datasheet will tell you the output voltage per Gauss.

And yes be afraid of the big magnets
You wont believe the strength when you first hold them!

XL5

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Well, I tried it last night. I glued 2 neo magnets together and I got no reduced mass. They were 16g in attraction with each other and 16g when repulsing each other. No difference in weight.

I used this scale.
www.scaleshack.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Well, I tried it last night. I glued 2 neo magnets together and I got no reduced mass. They were 16g in attraction with each other and 16g when repulsing each other. No difference in weight.

I used this scale.
www.scaleshack.com...

Firstly well done actually trying an experiment

Bushman said that the magnets would fall at a different rate, not weigh less while stationary.

[edit on 1/1/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
Bushman said that the magnets would fall at a different rate, not weigh less while stationary.

Exactly, and we know mass does not influence acceleration in a gravitational field. Reduced mass shouldn't influence anything. Some sort of dynamic effect would be needed. Since there's nothing essentially, "inductive" about warped spacetime, I suspect you'll measure no difference fall time, that is, without dropping the stuff through non-magnetic conductive tubes.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
There are actually You Tube video's of this experiment. Just search Boyd Bushman Magnetic experiment.

The ones that I watched showed a difference. I don't know why. Hrmmm

I actually tried the one with the copper tube and the magnets. What I think happened is that there was counter electromotive force due to the magnet passing over the copper. Alsmost similiar to a generator. The CEMF opposes the interaction of the magnet flying past the copper. When poles are forced together with the magnets, the flux lines are sharper angles (close to 90 degree's) and I think may be stronger than if the magnets are N-S-N-S.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5

I used this scale.
www.scaleshack.com...

-------------------------------------------------------------
Good Job!
Did you observe the field and see if it changed?
Iron filings?
I prefer the 4 inch diameter neo mags with 1 inch hole.
Silicon brass bolt.
I was thinking of using a 12 inch square sheet of lead as a spacer
between the 2 magnets. Bob Lazar sells the lead sheets at
United Nuclear.com.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngel
There are actually You Tube video's of this experiment. Just search Boyd Bushman Magnetic experiment.

The ones that I watched showed a difference. I don't know why. Hrmmm

I actually tried the one with the copper tube and the magnets. What I think happened is that there was counter electromotive force due to the magnet passing over the copper. Alsmost similiar to a generator. The CEMF opposes the interaction of the magnet flying past the copper. When poles are forced together with the magnets, the flux lines are sharper angles (close to 90 degree's) and I think may be stronger than if the magnets are N-S-N-S.

How about 4 neo mags [N-S-N-S ]sheet of lead[S-N-S-N] silicon brass bolt?
Stand back and sprinkle iron filings. Point a red laser at it. Check for
deflection.

It looks like this has been done. Found this on the web.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Eurisko2012]

XL5

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I figured that if there wasn't a weight reduction, that it would be useless for me anyway. I mean, it could only ever be a high tech parachute at that point if it just falls slower then normal.

The field did change alot and in unexpected ways, then again I was not using symetrical magnet shapes (hard drive magnets). Most of the oddness was from the edges of the magnets. You would expect the outwardfacing N poles to be normal, they were still N poles but they felt different when testing it with another magnet. The most odd thing was the magnetic field at the edge, there was an unsymetrical pole on 25% on the edge. You would expect that it would be N at the N sides and S along the edges, it was not. Also noticed the magnetic field strength go down permanently by a small amount.

LOL lead spacers, I hope those don't cost more then $5 each. Try a home made wood spacer first if you have to.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

Yes , eventually the strength of the magnets will decrease when
forced together. -- An annihilation process???--
Did you use superglue ?
Lead Sheet $8

United Nuclear Magnets -out of stock- however at KJ Magnetics

XL5

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Eww $8 for lead sheet! At that point, just stack paper (note pads)! Doesn't really need to be lead.

I did use superglue, but for bigger magnets, superglue might not be strong enough.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Eww $8 for lead sheet! At that point, just stack paper (note pads)! Doesn't really need to be lead.

I did use superglue, but for bigger magnets, superglue might not be strong enough.

I plan to use silicone bronze bolt / nut.
I think lead will help guide the gravity.
---------------------------------------------
Bob Lazar said the wave guide in the sport model had a lead/crystal
wave guide through the center of the spacecraft.
I think the wave guide needs to be on the edges not the assumed
North / South position. That puts the lead sheet in a perfect position.

------------------------------------------------
Next experiment United Nuclear 60,000 volt power supply
hooked up to 2 copper sheets 4' X 6 inches X 1 mm.
Put dielectric polyethylene in between them. Bend the plastic
into a big C. Put into wooden box. The bend large lead sheet
into a large C outside the wooden box. - wave guide -

---------------------------------------------------
I think Bob Lazar is giving us everything we need to invent new
things. We just have to open our eyes and minds.
Everyone is stuck in a box.

XL5

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
If its lead crystals that somehow direct gravity, the crystal part is needed. Just lead and no crystals probably won't do it. I personally don't like that he would tell stories that have the possibility to be real AND it just so happens that he sells stuff that are in the story.

IMO 2 counter rotating bismuth and or lead disks, high voltage and magnetic field may do something, I just don't want to make it and not getting anywhere. Even a more solid lead version of the mercury toroid inside the TR-3B might also do something.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ArcAngel

I believe you're right on the money there

The magnet falling through the copper tube is essentially a very simple generator. The moving magnetic field intersecting the copper generates an emf which establishes eddy currents in the copper with their own induced magnetic field which interacts with the magnet to slow its descent. Work is being done which is expressed as heat generated in the copper and this is not dissimilar to going down a hill with the brakes on - the speed is controlled and the brakes get hot as a consequence - energy, as always, is conserved.

We also need to consider the behavioural differences in ferromagnetic, diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
reply to post by ArcAngel

The magnet falling through the copper tube is essentially a very simple generator.

The same effect can be seen when sliding a powerful magnet down a chunk of aluminium.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join