It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A determination to find Nessie (1922-2009)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
www.smh.com.au...

Robert Rines was an American lawyer, composer and physicist, but was probably best known as a ''cryptozoologist'' who tried to prove the existence of the Loch Ness Monster.

He also invented prototype technology that led to sharper resolution in radar, sonar and the ultrasound imaging of internal organs. Sonar equipment he developed was used to find the wreck of Titanic in 1985 and the wreck of the German battleship Bismarck in 1989. His inventions also became crucial parts of long-range navigation systems.

Sad news, personally I don't think Nessie exists, but Mr. Rines was a pretty interesting figure, and contributed a decent amount what you'd consider "Mainstream". Saw a special featuring him on Discovery one time.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I believe nessie lived there some time ago. her legend lives on.

Whilst I'm sad for his passing, I can't help but celebrate this man's achievement's. He may never have found the elusive nessie but he invented ways to able other searchers.

What some would call a goose chase or a flight of fancy helped shape technology to it's better. For this reason I express no sadness, and I salute his life.

A toast to you Robert Rines.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
sucha shame this guy spent so long looking for nessie. wich dont exist.

It is very very likly that there ARE some undiscovered sea monsters out there.
but it think focusing on such a loch(compared to the seas) is going in the wrong direction.

Nessie the elephant packed his trunk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 15-11-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I cant say Ive ever believed in Nessie either, but hats off to the guy for being tenacious.
Especially since Im sure he was ridiculed often. Cryptozoology is interesting, but I'll be the first in line to say that the subject matter is a little hard to swallow.

Hundreds of thousands of people go through life without a focal point, without purpose. I salute anyone who dedicates themselves to a belief.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
It is very very likly that there ARE some undiscovered sea monsters out there.
but it think focusing on such a loch(compared to the seas) is going in the wrong direction.

The Loch actually connects to the sea, here is a quote from yahoo

Loch (Lake) Ness is NOT landlocked as many people believe. It is connected to the Atlantic from both ends. A series of canals and locks connect the Lake from the Atlantic to the west BUT going east from Loch Ness there is but a few miles of river that join the sea at Inverness. (Inver = river) The river is actually quite large and deep until it nears the lake. Manmade spillways (built when a system of canals was made) hinder the way but not so much that migratory fish (ie: salmon, trout, eels, seals and much more) still manage to swim into the lake every year. Predatory animals follow these spawning schools as well. At times, extreme high tides and seasonal flooding the river swells enough that small whales have been found entering the lake.
Recent discoveries indicate a system of underwater caves that may possibly link the lake to the sea but is as of yet unconfirmed. Since the lake is above sea level many people claim that any caves in the lake cannot exist. The water level would/could not be higher obviously. But if the caves were not water filled entirely (think P-trap beneath your sink) the lake could be above sea level and still be connected to the sea.
I won't ramble anymore on the subject but to answer your question:
There is definitely a direct route to the sea from Loch Ness.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Broonie]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Broonie

The cave system theory has been effectively disproved, pending evidence to the contrary.

The Loch was formed from glaciers, and scraped out. The surrounding rock itself is not like limestone, which would be riddled with cave systems, but a much more solid stone. Time and again people have searched for cave systems in a effort to give Nessie a place to hide, but none have been found.

Mr. Bob, that's pretty funny, actually. The photo they use for comparison is the Surgeon's photo, which was a admitted fake, and made using a toy submarine.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Broonie

i dont see why it would feel the need to swim to loch ness, anyways. there are much better places for it to travel. it could go to jamiaca. nice and warm and beautiful coconuts..mmm

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Jamaica would be too hot for her, anyways she loves the fresh Scottish air in the morning too much!

Back to the point of the thread R.I.P Robert Rines, if it wasnt for pioneers like this we would have less knowledge of the world

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Broonie]

join