It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP NEEDED! I am high risk for swine flu but scared to take the shot!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I had a letter from my doctor about two weeks ago, the letter was instructing me to attend my local General Practitioner Surgery to recieve my flu shot.

I am at risk because I had my spleen removed about 20 years ago.

LINK: What does the spleen do?

I have always had the option of taking a daily course of penicillin to fight infection that enters my body, but instead have always opted for a stronger course of medication when I get symptoms (which is usually once or twice a year).

Over the years I have used a range of medication so I don't build up an immunity to any particular one.

I usually pick up a dose of the flu or tonsillitis around this time of year and it really wipes me out, so bad I have trouble breathing, moving, eating etc

My problem is this; I have heard the stories of people with underlying health conditions having serious problems with both not getting the flu shot and accepting it.

I cant work out which would be worse!

I called my GP today because I have had a cold for nearly two weeks now, coughing, sore throat, runny nose, headache and slight temperature.

It hasn't blown me out completely, just slowed me down.

My GP is aware of my medical background but did not mention the flu, although I did have to send someone else to pick up one of my usual medications.

Why did they not ask me about the shot?

Do I need it?

Should I get it or not?

I will have to make a decision soon or it could be to late.

I could really do with some straight advice.

Should I take the advice of the system?

Regards S_G

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Follow your gutt feeling's.

If you don't think it is right for you do NOT have the shot.

I would rather get the swine flu and get it over with myself than have to trust in some un-tested junk flowing thru my vein's.

You have a choice to make nobody else can tell you what to do.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 29-10-2009 by h3akalee]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I really don't think the forum is a good place to seek any medical advice personally.

In your case, you may need to chance the vaccine. H1N1 is a killer virus. It will kill people with underlying health issues, even healthy people.

You are really in a tough pickle here. Does anyone here really know the power of the vaccine, has it even proved it's effectiveness against H1N1? Is H1N1 mutating like some poeple suggest, implying that we may have to contend with many infections from mutated strains in our future.

You really need to sit down, do homework, talk to your doctor and make the right choices for your health. Be informed and think based on your risk.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I have been contemplating responding to this, but hesitated, because, as the other person said, it is really dangerous to take medical advice from people online, especially people on this site(no offense intended to anyone, there are just so many varying opinions that no one can be sure what side to be on).

I would highly recommend speaking to medical professionals about this. Get multiple opinions if needed to ease your mind.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Do what you can to boost your immune system.
Cut any and all stress out of your life - or as much as possible.
Boost up that vitamin B and get as much sun as possible and as much exercise as your health and body can handle without over-doing it.
Wear a face mask.
Stay positive.
DON’T HIDE from it.
Those who hide are the first to get found - my Grandpa used to say.
Keep busy and find something you can do - if you don’t already - that helps others.
Find peace in yourself and your life.
No matter what we do - when it’s our time, it’s our time.
In the mean time though, stay calm and positive and follow what your heart tells you to do, and then a step further.

Peace and my best to you and yours...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

To be totally honest here you need to ask your doctor, not to people on here, as smart as many members are they are NOT a medical doctor that went to school for 8-10 years.
. Let your MD tell you the risks and benefits, then make up your OWN mind.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
dont bother its not much different from seasonal flu. frankly i dont know why the propaganda is still going on, when all the fact are there.

i imagine in about 6/7 years for their to be an serious investigation into this, on the way it has been reported by the media to be some kind of super deadly virus. you have more chance of dying in a car accident them from swine flu.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ask your doctor what you should do. Since he is aware of your health conditions, he should be able to offer you sound advice.

I wouldn't get my health information from a conspiracy site.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming H1N1 is a killer virus. It will kill people with underlying health issues, even healthy people.

Sorry to say, but thats BS. Get more informed before making such a bold statement. h1h1 has so far this season killed less people than regular influenza virus, read up on the official statistics. Of course MSM is extremely shy of sharing this information, but it is out there if you look for it.

It is NOT more deadly, it is NOT more contagious than regular influenza, there´s a couple of facts for you.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thank you all very much for your opinions so far.

I am getting the reply's I expected, but I dont think I have addressed this thread as I should have.

Maybe I should ask 'what would YOU do' if you were in my situation.

Thanks again and thanks in advance too

Regards S_G

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikhart

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming H1N1 is a killer virus. It will kill people with underlying health issues, even healthy people.

Sorry to say, but thats BS. Get more informed before making such a bold statement. h1h1 has so far this season killed less people than regular influenza virus, read up on the official statistics. Of course MSM is extremely shy of sharing this information, but it is out there if you look for it.

It is NOT more deadly, it is NOT more contagious than regular influenza, there´s a couple of facts for you.

Where am I saying it is more deadly or more contagious. The fact is, it has killed people with underlying health issues.

It has killed healthy people.

It is a killer virus.

How is any of my statements not fact... because I didn't say it only kills a very small percentage of people so the risk of death is low.

The fact is, even with a low risk, it still kills. Just talk to anyone who has died from it... oh wait.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

What a horrible catch 22 situation.

I could only suggest to you that you print out all that you have read on the negative effects of the swine flu vaccine from conspiracy warnings to warnings from professionals.

Voice these fears to your doctor, ask him or her to be straight with you and then decide” yay” or “nay” from the answers you receive. There is also nothing stopping your from asking for a second opinion.

If I was you that would probably be my course of action.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Clearly this all depends on your medical history, and I wouldn't take medical advice from strangers on the internet. That being said
I am immunosuppressed, and my doctor told me not to worry about taking the swine flu shot, but to definitely get a regular seasonal flu shot. If the letter said to get the flu shot, I would assume that to mean seasonal as swine would've been specified. Oftentimes, doctors send letters out to all patients so you may want to call and ask specifically about your risks and go from there.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

I misunderstood the tone of your post then, the way I read it made it seem like you were implying h1n1 is tremendously dangerous.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I hope you didnt find my reply offensive.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Hm. I think I'm a little on the high risk side also, (weak lungs) and I'll share with you what I've decided to do.

As far as I can determine, and correct me if I'm wrong, the nose spray contains the live virus, and in no way would I even momentarily consider that. (For myself).

The regular injection does not contain the live virus. (Am I right about that?).

Soo. I considered the injection only. Changed my mind. I'm afraid if I should get it, it will hit my lungs really hard, so I am going to take my chances without the vaccine. It has swept through my town pretty good already, but of course, the "second wave" may be worse. I was exposed to it twice during the first go-round, and luckily didn't get it. This involved running from people and excusing myself from someone who came to work with it. In other words, I was a little rude. Which for me, is almost unheard of, but I decided to meet rudeness with rudeness, because I thought it was enormously rude of the person to bring it to my office.

So anyway, unless my doctor has a strong case to convince me otherwise, I'm going to pass.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
If you must get the vaccine get the vaccine for rich/ elite people, and by that I mean vaccines that hasn't had any adjuvants added to it.

If it's 'free' (The taxpayers were forced to pay for it anyway) you can bet there are adjuvants up the wazoo in it. If the list of ingredients in these adjuvanted vaccines don't make you sick, reading about it will.

Adjuvants help stretch the vaccine supply but there are lots of garbage in it that does way way more harm than good.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Ahh go ahead and get the shot. There is no reason not to.

My kids and myself are getting it.

Just my .02

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikhart

I think it's hard to read a tone in text, if I could convey a tone it was just a warning to the OP to be careful in seeking medical advice on sites such as ATS.

And just caution about H1N1... don't assume it's totaly harmless as it has killed.

No offense taken, I just questioned why you thought what I said wasn't factual when it's been covered in the media that it has killed.

The real offense is the people who created this virus... not us who have to deal with it at our base camps.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
one of my friends just had swine flu. She was sick (as a dog) for a week but now shes fine. Vitamin C usually boost our immune system too

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Lost my spleen due to a heavy accident so0me 15 years ago.

Today I had my regular yearly flu-shot. The doc's assistant will invite me next month for a swineflu shot. I told her I'm NOT taking it, so they don't have to bother inviting me for one.

This one shot is more then enough for my body to cope with. My immune-system isn't that good and I have liver problems too. So I decided my body has had enough vaccine till next year.

The whole swineflu-vaccine-need is merely hysteria if ya ask me. The virus is already altered and mutating, that's what virusses do.

I believe it's nothing more then a huge campaign of the pharmacutical industry.

<<   2 >>

join