It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are in trouble.... big trouble!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
www.thesun.co.uk...

Just goes to show that some people on this Planet don't think, understand or care about this Planet and us.... If these estimates come true we will have mass starvation on a Global scale.... not to mention more diseases!!

I'm not saying anything but you don't need me to tell you who is going to be using all the resources and you also don't need me to tell you that the people who are responsible for our Economy will be responsible for the huge rises!!

They havn't mentioned House prices but if those states are anything to go by then House prices will be beyond most peoples pockets!!

This can't continue....

edit to : fixed it

[edit on 28-10-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The page on The Sun says 404 error. Could you elaborate on what the article was about?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
the link doesn't work

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
www.thesun.co.uk...

There you go

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MissMegs

Hey I still cant see it, its showing as a blocked URL on My cpu.... Anyway to copy and paste it or give an overview of it?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
HOGWASH!!!!
Nice scare tactic though. I seem to remember that in the 1970s all the media was abuzz with predictions of a massive ice age by the end of the century. By the 1990s the media was abuzz with how the Earth was going to burn to a crisp within the next 20 years. Now it is simply "Climate change."

The climate changes - it has for billions of years on Earth. The fact that they've had to change from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change" just goes to show you the pseudoscience at work here. What is even funnier is that they are blaming CO2 - CO2 is at some of the LOWEST levels recorded in Earth's history.

Don't fall for this SCAM - this is their new way of trying to implement a global government.

Sure there are environmental disasters - usually caused by the people in a specific locale. But to say that the whole world is going to die due to "Climate change" is pure BUNK!!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Bah... Just more global warming alarmist nonsense.

The article basically gives a prices for what food & beer would cost in the year 2050 if the temperature has risen 4 degrees C.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
www.thesun.co.uk... st-18-by-2030.html

Just goes to show that some people on this Planet don't think, understand or care about this Planet and us.... If these estimates come true we will have mass starvation on a Global scale.... not to mention more diseases!!

This is not the case.
What is in fact happening here is that we are yet again,being "psy op'ed" by the Government/Big Agro into accepting GM foods.
Where is the eveidence for such a claim?
Here:

A double push for Britain to grow more genetically modified (GM) crops is to be made today John Beddington, the Government’s chief scientific adviser, is to renew his call for GM crops to ensure global food security. His support for the controversial technology coincides with a study from the Royal Society, Britain’s most prestigious scientific institution, out tomorrow, which will also endorse the need for Britain to conduct more GM crop trials. Scientists are determined to change public attitudes to GM crops, which have been condemned by critics as “Frankenstein food”. Ministers, scientists, farmers and food companies think that the time is right to soften public opinion and to try to win them round to the benefits of GM production.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

The study concluded that GM crops are needed to prevent a catastrophic food crisis by 2050. But the report has sparked a backlash from opponents of GM foods who say they present a threat to the livelihood of small farmers.
GM crops being grown in Britain They fear the Government will use the 100-page study, due to be published this week, to force the introduction of GM technology back on to the political agenda. Many in the Cabinet and Whitehall appear to be convinced that Britain can no longer resist its introduction into the UK market.

www.telegraph.co.uk...#

Britain's food giants have privately warned that they are struggling to maintain their decade-long ban on genetic modification and called for the public to be educated about the increasing cost of avoiding GM, The Independent reveals today. As major producers such as the US and Brazil switch to GM, supermarkets are now paying 10 to 20 per cent more for the dwindling supplies of conventional soya and maize, according to a report by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Marks & Spencer, Somerfield, Aldi and Co-op met civil servants to explain their problems in finding non-GM supplies.

www.independent.co.uk...

Do not believe the garbage about the world "starving"-this is a massivley well funded operation to bend the will of the masses into accepting GMO's.
The aim?
To effectively hand control of all food production to a small group of immoral,law breaking bullys who are the major Big Agro companies.

Screw GM food,and Screw the likes of Monsanto.

Read this article about Monsanto,and see what you think:

www.vanityfair.com...

Don't fall for the GM trap,they are attempting to manipulate you,and everyone else.
NO GOOD WILL COME OF IT.

[edit on 28/10/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
And the crap they spin about diseases....PUKE,what garbage...
Read what an ex Monsanto emplotee has to say about GM food,and its potential dangers:

Ex Monsanto Employee Says GMO Crops May Cause Disease There is a perception by many that genetically modified food is a cure all for world poverty and food crises. What if you were to hear that an unintended side effect of eating genetically modified (GMO) foods could be infectious diseases such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, better known as mad cow disease? This is the threat uncovered by a former Monsanto employee, who has tried and failed to bring such concerns to company management, with the result that an unknown amount of potentially toxic substances is making their way into the food you eat because of the actual technique used by Monsanto to create genetically engineered crops. Monsanto modifies the genes of existing plants through a technique known as gene insertion. By using a device called a "gene gun" researchers bombard plant tissue with new genes. After firing new genetic material into existing cotton, corn or rice cells, the new genetic information gets imbedded into the existing plant cells resulting in a new variation of the crop (for example it will be resistant to pesticides like RoundUp, allowing farmers to use the chemical to kill off weeds without killing the crop). The catch is that in addition to inserting the new gene, the technique damages other genes in the plant as well, leading to malformed proteins within the plants DNA. Why does this matter? Diseases such as mad cow disease are caused by certain malformed proteins, and although it would be downright misleading to say that gene insertion causes mad cow disease, it is 100% valid to say that it causes malformed proteins with unknown health effects, and that these new proteins are not being tested or monitored to ensure human safety.

consciousearth.blogspot.com...

MMMMmmm!! NICE Huh?
You want mad cow disease,or something similar?Eat your GMO's like a good slave.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

The link should work now.... or if doesn't here it is;

A PINT could cost a whopping £18 in two decades time unless urgent action is taken to avert climate change, experts have claimed.
Environmentalists have warned consumers could also be forking out almost £6.50 for a loaf of bread.

A study for Friends of the Earth examining how warming temperatures could affect food supplies said the prices of basics like bread, rice and pasta could all spiral in the next two decades, leaving millions hungry in the UK.

Yields of staple crops are predicted to fall as global temperatures rise, while climate change will also put extra pressure on land and resources such as water with more droughts, floods and extreme weather events expected.

The report by Ray Hammond, who studies how future trends will affect society and business, warned food prices could rise well above inflation by 2030.

His research, based on previous price hikes recorded by the World Bank and projections by the International Food Policy Research Institute, suggested an 800g loaf of white bread which currently costs 72p would rise to £6.48 — as opposed to the £1.44 it would cost under normal inflation.

A litre of corn oil would rise from £1.99 to £17.91, a kilogram of basmati rice would increase from £1.69 in today's prices to £15.21 by 2030, and 500g of cornflakes would shoot up from 78p to £7.20.

Even beer would increase, with a pint of Pilsner lager rising from £2.05 to £18.45.

The study comes after a map of the impacts of a 4C rise in global temperatures published by the Government warned rice yields could drop by up to 30 per cent in China, India and Bangladesh and maize and wheat yields could fall by up to 40 per cent in Africa, the Americas and Asia.

Advertisement

Friends of the Earth is calling for a strong climate deal in Copenhagen in December, when it is hoped countries will agree to reduce global greenhouse gases to limit temperature rises to 2C and avoid the "dangerous" climate change which would occur with greater temperature increases.

The environmental group's head of climate, Mike Childs, said: "This vision of life in 2030 shows that life with climate change won't be pretty, it'll be pricey - the cost of simple foods like bread and rice will rocket and millions more people will go hungry here in the UK alone."

But he said: "There is still time to avert this nightmare scenario. At the UN climate talks in Copenhagen in just 40 days, rich countries must show leadership by stumping up hard cash for developing countries to grow cleanly and adapt to the effects of climate change already putting millions of lives at risk."

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Good points but i think you may be forgetting the population rise by 2100!!

Already what 6. something billion... a 100 years more and we'll see a hell of a lot more....

You may think i'm mad or whatever but some couples are having 7 or 8 kids here in the UK and you know how small this island is? It's already over-populated.... everyone is on eachothers toes!!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Over-population is NOT the same as climate change. Two distinctly seperate issues requiring two completely divergent discussions.

Climate change is something that is going to occur no matter if humans are on this planet or not. Population controls are a taboo topic but probably one that needs more attention and discussion. Why does it seem the more down-trodden, the lower the IQ, the less resources someone has - the more children they produce!?!?! I mean, honest to God... the people who are least equipped or able to successfully raise children are the ones cranking them out. I'm not going to further derail the topic of "Climat change" but clearly a thread on population control is in order.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Projecting current trends onto the next 50 or 100 years is just ridiculous!
Whether it's climate, population growth or food production, it doesn't matter.

Technology & society are progressing at exponential rates & there are an infinite number of potential developments that could completely change the game.
These types of projections nearly always have to do with pushing a current agenda - not predicting the future.

Hell they can't even account for a third of the Co2 we have emitted, it's just gone, are we supposed to trust that they can predict accurately 50 years ahead

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Great info but the article i posted doesn't mention GM foods once in it

I have read it and i understand what its talking about but the article is relating to resource & population growth really.... as i said in my response above, it's already overcrowded here in the UK.... it doesn't take a genius to figure out that one day whats happening in other parts of the world could well happen here....

I'm just saying but you need to take a look at the other side of the coin too....

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I live in Denmark and I think we are at least as densely populated as the UK. And there is still plenty of space. I think the issue is that people tend to cramp together in cities that then become very crowded.

Another important issue is the fact that as the standard of living goes up, the number of children tends to go down.
People usually have many children because of poor family planning or the need for someone to take care of you when you grow old.

Many developed nations such as Italy & Japan actually have a negative population growth.

I know there are certain minorities, Muslims in particular, who tend to have many children due to cultural & religious reasons, but I believe this tendancy often dissapears after a generation or two, due to the increased adaptation of western idaes & lifestyles.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

It does not matter that GMo's are not mentioned-this type of article is part of the "softening up" process to allow the big Agro companies to have total market domination.

You watch,more articles like the one you posted will appear,alongside "GM food will save the planet" articles,like the ones I posted.(See how they claim GM will save the starving,prevent diseases etc)

The plan is to generate enough fear in the population that eventually we will not fight against the GM companies.

Some will actually demand we go totally GM..

That is my take on this anyway.
I hope I am being overly paranoid,but time will tell I guess.

new topics

top topics

join