It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

day after tomorrow based on fact

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   
it seems this summers blockbuster the day after tomorrow is based on the very latest scientific fact.
i have provided a link to hoaglands website in which they discuss top secret pentagon reports on climate change,
the only thing they disagree on is that it will not take five days as in the film but fifteen to twenty years.
the thing that worries me living in the uk is the pentagon report cites that the uk will be like siberia by 2020 this holds credence as the uk in the last year has had its hottest day of 101 degrees last summer and the unusual weather we are having at the moment no more april showers warm sunshine in may very unusual.

full story
www.enterprisemission.com...

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
i have to say if this report is true and it does exist it would seem the thieving and pilfering of other countries and there occupation would seem to be a logical course for governments trying to protect there way of life.

for if north america and and northern europe were to be the victims of this global warming the logic behind what is happening in the world bears fruit, but only for those of privilage and power so us poor folk will be left to rot move to tenerife now is all i can say.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The only thing that the melting of the polar cabs will do is cause floding, the day after tomorrow movie is just that a fictional story. in order for earth to have radical changes is if the sun decides to go crazy for what I know the sun is just fine. anybody have any news on the sun changing?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Marg, i hate to ruin your view but first. The sun has been acting very strange lately, the last, most powerful solar flare was an X45 not too long ago, which luckily missed us, it would have cooked every satellite we have and there would have been black outs all over, not to mention the worse thing it would have caused if our magnetic field was pointing away from the solar flare.

This last cycle has extended longer than its normall 11 year cycle of sunspots, and it hasn't stopped yet. Mars polar caps are melting and the whole solar system is reacting very strangely, we do not know if its because the sun, or the whole solar system is reacting to something else like the Russians are saying. A new energy zone we are entering according to Russian scientists.

Also, your statement that global warming will just cause floods is not true.

The Atlantic conveyor current is fed by the cold waters from the icebergs in the north pole and the warm waters from the equator. If the north pole alone melts, the level of the sea will not change at all, but because of the fresh water it will release, the salinity of the Atlantic will lower, not making possible for the exchange of cold and warm waters and throwing the northern regions of the world into a new ice age.

Also as these changes begin happening it will cause extreme weather, tsunamies, super storms as those seen in the movie, ect, all over the northern and caribbean regions. The movie is not far from the truth, but it will probably not be as fast as it is portrayed in the movie.

If Anctartica melts, then the level of the seas will raise.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
please, stop being paranoi solar flares are a natural event and they can cause severe damages to comunications and other things, the sun still have a long life to live now, we us in earth we are destroying earth and she is going to strike back we as a specie may die but earth will still be here after we are gone and new species will come.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If the poles melt then the pressure upon the tectonic plates will change. Look into Einstines take on this issue.

The earth has developed a wobble as it is. If the poles melt will this become worse?

As the weight is displaced from the poles to the equator what do you think will happen?

Will the earth begin to tilt? Keep in mind the molten inner core which provides our magnetic field. Change the rotation or angle and the core will change also.

Then read the bible and the pyamid text.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Is this what you meant by looking in the Bible....

II Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Marg is right when she says that we can't destroy the planet. We can surely make Earth uninhabitable for our species and others. We are well on the way to just that. The Global warming point of no return is fast approaching and the industrialized nations have no intention to curb Greenhouse gas emissions. Short term profits/earnings will always take precident over long term planning, remember Bush's speach after dumping Kyoto?

dz

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
We get what we deserve. As a species we have long denied and abused this planet. Now she's just getting tired of it.

And just to add more onto Mauddib, he is right about the no flooding. It's basic Physics. Ice displaces itself. If it melts, it makes no difference to the level of the sea.

Now if the South Pole were to melt, that's a different story. Much of that ice is actually on top of land. If that melts, that could in turn raise the ocean levels. I dont know by how much though.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The only thing that the melting of the polar cabs will do is cause floding, the day after tomorrow movie is just that a fictional story. in order for earth to have radical changes is if the sun decides to go crazy for what I know the sun is just fine. anybody have any news on the sun changing?

Right and wrong.

You're right in saying the sun is fine. SOlar activity is up but its been shown the sun has cycles and what is going on now isn't going to harm earth. It will increase risk of skin cancer and wipe out some satalites however. But nothing major on the scale most the paranoids are saying.

You're WRONG about the climate change. THe day after tomorrow really only makes a few dramatic changes to weather change. For one the process takes at least a few years, not a few days. Also you won't see anything showy or all at once catastrophic as in the movie, but aside from that its right on.

As the polar ice melts the waters enters into the oceans at just above freezing (thats salt water freezing not pure water). This cold water then disrupts the atlantic and pacific currents shutting down the earths method of transfering heat. If even just one of the major currents shuts down the equatorial regions will begin to heat while the rest of the planet starts to deep freeze.

Durring the transition there will (It WILL happen eventually regardless of human global warming) massive storms, tornadoes, and all sorts of sever weather.

This is part of earth's cycle though humans have made the process much faster.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Is it really a surprise that the "proof" that the movie is "based on fact" comes from Hoagland? Try a legitimate news source (even some left-wing liberal media) and see what kind of things you come up with. I'll bet that you get something like this...

"My first reaction was, 'Oh my God, this is a disaster because it is such a distortion of the science. It will certainly create a backlash,'" said Dan Schrag, a Harvard University paleoclimatologist. "I have sobered up somewhat, because the public is probably smart enough to distinguish between Hollywood and the real world."

Sorry to disappoint you Dan, but it seems you were wrong about that last bit. Apparently certain members of the public (Hoagland, et. al.) are not smart enough to make that distinction.

The rest of this AP story is here (assuming I can make this link thing work, it's my first try):

Link to AP story

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quest

Right and wrong.

You're right in saying the sun is fine. SOlar activity is up but its been shown the sun has cycles and what is going on now isn't going to harm earth. It will increase risk of skin cancer and wipe out some satalites however. But nothing major on the scale most the paranoids are saying.

You're WRONG about the climate change. THe day after tomorrow really only makes a few dramatic changes to weather change. For one the process takes at least a few years, not a few days. Also you won't see anything showy or all at once catastrophic as in the movie, but aside from that its right on.

As the polar ice melts the waters enters into the oceans at just above freezing (thats salt water freezing not pure water). This cold water then disrupts the atlantic and pacific currents shutting down the earths method of transfering heat. If even just one of the major currents shuts down the equatorial regions will begin to heat while the rest of the planet starts to deep freeze.

Durring the transition there will (It WILL happen eventually regardless of human global warming) massive storms, tornadoes, and all sorts of sever weather.

This is part of earth's cycle though humans have made the process much faster.

Now if only people would read that and do their own research... as there's plenty of evidence of cyclical cataclysms on our planet, often triggered by various events such as cyclical comet impacts etc. This isn't a "random, accidental, unlikely event". It is relatively rare because the cycle is longer than a few human lifetimes - long enough to outlast our written history (about 5 to 6 thousand years is our written history, cycle is a bit longer, and there are many cycles and cycles within cycles), and therefore for the most part leave our civilization clueless about this. But it is not rare in terms of the existance of the planet, and there is plenty of signs/evidence that it might happen very soon, again. Global warming that triggers things like an instant ice age are a good start, but what else could be on the dinner menu? What about cometary impacts? Isn't it possible that some cometary clusters have long orbit around our sun, and every few thousand years they return and cause devastation/chaos on the planet, and to any civilization that lives here? The evidence says yes, and that they could be coming back at any time now with the population being oblivious to it.

Also, it is possible that the ice age can happen very fast, not in a few years, but a few days/weeks/months even. It is nice to think that this is not the case, but we cannot say for sure how fast atlantic currents/polar melting will trigger these earth changes, it's like a stick that just keeps bending and bending until it instantly breaks. It might lead up to it slowly, but the event might happen much faster than people think.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar
Is it really a surprise that the "proof" that the movie is "based on fact" comes from Hoagland? Try a legitimate news source (even some left-wing liberal media) and see what kind of things you come up with. I'll bet that you get something like this...

"My first reaction was, 'Oh my God, this is a disaster because it is such a distortion of the science. It will certainly create a backlash,'" said Dan Schrag, a Harvard University paleoclimatologist. "I have sobered up somewhat, because the public is probably smart enough to distinguish between Hollywood and the real world."

Sorry to disappoint you Dan, but it seems you were wrong about that last bit. Apparently certain members of the public (Hoagland, et. al.) are not smart enough to make that distinction.

The rest of this AP story is here (assuming I can make this link thing work, it's my first try):

Link to AP story

u must stop looking to government paid advisors/teachers etc they will say whatever keeps their job.
so to discredit hoagland is stupid and does not make any sense again this is an example of people attacking the person and ignoring the facts what are you fox news

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   

u must stop looking to government paid advisors/teachers etc they will say whatever keeps their job.
so to discredit hoagland is stupid and does not make any sense again this is an example of people attacking the person and ignoring the facts what are you fox news

So if i am to understand you correctly, I am to ignore the HARVARD paleoclimatologist, and instead follow the theories of the guy who thought he saw bunny rabbits on Mars? Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking before. Oh wait a minute, that was the problem. *slaps forehead* I was thinking. Perhaps if I stop, I will have an easier time believing such nonsense.

However, until such time as I can figure out how to turn off my cognitive processes, I will just have to continue getting information from government-paid peons. Highly-paid peons, but peons nevertheless.

Consider this in the meantime. The article I posted does not say that the movie is bad or that its writer/director/producers are only out to drum up hysteria, in an election year, based on nothing but junk science. Instead, it says that while the writer/director/producers may have gotten the science all wrong (or at least mostly wrong), scientists (REAL scientists) are at least delighted at the attention the movie will hopefully focus on the ACTUAL dangers of global warming/environmental destruction.

I'm not trying to purport that global warming, depletion of natural resources, environmental decay, etc., are not real, only that at least one paleoclimatologist disagrees with the "science" behind this movie. I am all for some increased attention on global climactic concerns. I just don't like media-induced hysteria, and I loathe pseudo-science.

P.S., Aside from Hoagland, who else should I consider a non-government-paid source? Where should I get my news?

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Hamburglar]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Marg....paranoid, me? no sweety, i was merely posting facts, not paranoid about it.

On October 28th, 2003 we had an X11 flare, then in November 4th, 2003 we had an X45 flare, which was latter reported to be actually just an X28, still is the largest ever recorded, and it is still being discussed whether it was an X28 or higher.

This is what Nasa solar physicist David Hathaway said.

"Only a few weeks ago solar activity was low. The face of the sun was nearly blank--"very few sunspots," says Hathaway--and space weather near Earth was mild. "Mild is just what we expect at this point in the 11-year solar cycle," he explains. "The most recent maximum was in 2001, and solar activity has been declining ever since."

Then, suddenly, in late October the sun began to behave strangely. Three giant sunspots appeared, each one larger than the planet Jupiter. In California where smoke from wildfires dimmed the sun enough to look straight at it, casual sky watchers were startled by the huge blotches on the sun. One of them, named "sunspot 486," was the biggest in 13 years.

Sunspots cause solar flares and, usually, the biggest flares come from the biggest spots. The three giant sunspots unleashed eleven X-class flares in only fourteen days--equaling the total number observed during the previous twelve months. "This was a big surprise," says Hathaway.

The effects on Earth were many: Radio blackouts disrupted communications. Solar protons penetrated Earth's upper atmosphere, exposing astronauts and some air travelers to radiation doses equal to a medical chest X-ray. Auroras appeared all over the world--in Florida, Texas, Australia and many other places where they are seldom seen."

Excerpts taken from.

science.nasa.gov...

"QUIETER, LONGER SOLAR CYCLE NUMBER 23 COULD SIGNAL SIGNIFICANT CLIMATE SHIFT"

Excerpt taken from
www.intellicast.com...

We do not know for sure what is going on, or if its normal or not, since we have only studied the sun in the last 35 years. But, one thing is for certain, there is a lot happening in our solar system lately we don't understand completly.

" Mars may be in the midst of a period of profound climate change, according to a new study that shows dramatic year-to-year losses of snow at the south pole.

It is not yet clear, though, if the evidence of a single year's change represents a trend. But the study provides a surprising new view of the nature of the southern ice cap, said Michael Caplinger of Malin Space Science Systems.

"It's saying that the permanent cap isn't quite so permanent as we thought," Caplinger said in a telephone interview.

A second study of both poles finds that Red Planet snow is more dense and hard than the euphemistic "packed powder" advertised by Eastern ski resorts, and nothing like the soft flakes expected in Utah for the 2002 Olympics. Instead, it's hard as ice. "

Excerpts taken from.
www.space.com...

Mars and the sun are not the only ones reacting a bit differently lately.

"Clever new observations of Pluto as it passed in front of a distant star reveal that the planet's thin atmosphere has cooled over the past 14 years while the surface seems to be getting warmer.

Astronomers are puzzled by the changes, which have occurred during a time when Pluto is moving farther from the Sun during its 248-year orbit. They said the results could only be fully explained by a robotic mission to Pluto, a project many astronomers are lobbying for but which NASA has put on the back burner. "

Excerpts taken from.
www.space.com...

"Wednesday, 3 March 2004

Strange blue band around Jupiter (courtesy NASA)

An Amazing Disturbance In Jupiter's Clouds.....

It is a very elongated, bluish streak that runs along the interface of the dark South Equatorial Belt.

The first hint that that something unusual was taking place in the cloudy Jovian atmosphere came from Spanish amateur when he reported that a small, bicolored feature was formingt in the Southern Hemisphere a little over2 weeks ago. NOW, this disturbance has stretched, what looks like, right around the planet!

At the moment it's too early to be sure of the nature of this disturbance or its potential evolution. The wide band shown on the photograph could, quite easily measure, 3-4 times the diameter of the Earth! "

Excerpt taken from.
www.abc.net.au...

"August 01, 2002
SATELLITES REVEAL A MYSTERY OF LARGE CHANGE IN EARTH'S GRAVITY FIELD

Satellite data since 1998 indicates the bulge in the Earth's gravity field at the equator is growing, and scientists think that the ocean may hold the answer to the mystery of how the changes in the trend of Earth's gravity are occurring.

Before 1998, Earth's equatorial bulge in the gravity field was getting smaller because of the post-glacial rebound, or PGR, that occurred as a result of the melting of the ice sheets after the last Ice Age. When the ice sheets melted, land that was underneath the ice started rising. As the ground rebounded in this fashion, the gravity field changed.

"The Earth behaved much like putting your finger into a sponge ball and watching it slowly bounce back," said Christopher Cox, a research scientist supporting the Space Geodesy Branch at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.

Currently, the Earth has a significant upward bulge at the equator, and a downward bulge at the poles. "Observations of the Earth's gravity field show that some phenomena are counteracting the gravitational effects of PGR. Whereas PGR has been decreasing the bulge in the Earth's gravity field at the equator, this recent phenomena is causing the bulge to increase," Cox said. Such changes in the gravity field can be sensed using ultra precise laser tracking of satellites to observe tiny changes in the orbits of those satellites and by tracking changes in the length of day or rotation of the Earth."

Excerpt taken from.
www.gsfc.nasa.gov...

I also posted some of this information before and some more at.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Textremember Bush's speach after dumping Kyoto?

Yes, thats is one of the first thinks that bush drop US out of the kyoto treaty on global warming, because you have to remember that he is for big corporations and corporations polute the enviroment when he pull out of the Kyoto protocol the amount of arsenic allowed on our drinking water has increased. So he is now making easier for the goverment to overlook this problems.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

TextMarg....paranoid, me? no sweety, i was merely posting facts, not paranoid about it.

I am sorry I did not mean to call you paranoid
Let go back to the begining of the earth, earth had catastrophics changes before, and with this changes existing species are desimated and new ones will come out and some lesser species survive, the last time we had a catastrophy event was when the dinosaurs disapared from earth I guess the next specie obviously will be humans but I have the feeling that some will survive.
We are to smart and we had survive the longest so far.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
"According to the �rosier scenario� authored in the Pentagon, Britain will be in a �Siberian� climate by 2020, and �nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.� "

From what Ive read online regarding earth changes, various scientific , religious and spiritual predictions site that dramatic changed will occur. All the psychics are known for the Earth changes predicitions, but did you know that in the book of isisah in the OT it speaks of a time when the entire earth will "rock to and fro like a drunkard?" It seems to be across the board from pagan to monolethic relgious prophecy to occult seers like Nostro.

America apparently will experience a land break up, floods, and astroid impacts.

Interestingly on another thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

A guy claims that the global warming thing isnt the reason for the coming natural threats but a number of large comets approaching:

www.bushcountry.org...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Please earth changes are part of earth natural life span it does not has anything to do with religious profecies or because we are sinners or bad people is just natural.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
From what I saw on Discovery (as far as the UK being in an Ice Age) Was that the polar caps will shift the Gulfs Stream, which is what keeps the UK in the climate it is in

naturalscience.com...

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by ShiftTrio]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join