It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Scientists net giant squid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Now I wouldn't call this a mythical beast but it is an enjoyably creepy beast none the less. And tastey with cocktail sauce. *ducks and covers*

linky

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. scientists in the Gulf of Mexico unexpectedly netted a 19.5-foot (5.9-meter) giant squid off the coast of Louisiana, the Interior Department said on Monday, showing how little is known about life in the deep waters of the Gulf. Not since 1954, when a giant squid was found floating dead off the Mississippi Delta, has the rare species been spotted in the Gulf of Mexico. The squid, weighing in at 103 pounds (46.7 kg), was caught July 30 in a trawl net more than 1,500 feet underwater as it was pulled by a research vessel.

I was thinking a week or so ago that it has been a long time since one of these showed up.

So now that they seem to know where to find them, they are gonna find more. Maybe even some bigger ones.

What I find interesting that it was in the Gulf of Mexico. Never considered that to be the place of sea monsters.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I like mine deep fried with salt and chilli. On the BBQ is pretty good too.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mrlondon

Squid isn't food. It's bait.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Its pretty big but i dont know if go so far as to say its giant..

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

AH! A POX on you for your blasphemy. Calamari is good etins!!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
O boy another squid story!!!!!
, sry i just like squids lol. Well 19.5 ft isnt a "giant" but we'll have to see if this is just a "kid" squid if i may say so. Im still waiting for the day when we see or find the 100+ ft real giant squid. Maybe i am just dreaming but who knows. Anyways great find, S&F for you.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by mrlondon

Squid isn't food. It's bait.

I disagree!

At that size it's a banquet.
FOR hundreds

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Ok folks thanks for the chuckles. But I do find it unuusal that they even found one so large, even if it just junior, near the coast of LA.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Technically, giant squid is the common name of the squid. It's not always gigantic, for example the larvae are tiny.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That is just a matter of opinion phage. Myself, I love calamari!!

join