It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you think the governments of the World have created the "Doomsday" seed vault?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by I_am_Spartacus

I wouldn't call it quick or efficient. It's been wrapped up in the bickering and arguing typical of international "cooperation" since 1983.

www.regjeringen.no...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Maybe they believe the scientists who are telling them that the sun is freaking out!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by I_am_Spartacus

I wouldn't call it quick or efficient. It's been wrapped up in the bickering and arguing typical of international "cooperation" since 1983.

www.regjeringen.no...

Thank you, one of the reasons I asked, THE TRUTH! As I said I didn't by into much of what High had to say.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
Maybe they believe the scientists who are telling them that the sun is freaking out!

yes this stuff, keep it coming.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Why in a Luner Capsule ?

Because there is no tectonic activity on the Moon - something buried there today will still be there in 10 million years time.

I mean, the Evo theory say that Slime came from Burning Lava Water, so why cant we just store our slime there ?

What is burning lava water? And what slime are we supposed to be storing there? You really don't make any sense at all .....

btw as Phage points out there's been a seed vault on Spitsbergen since 1984 although the current one was constructed between 2006 and 2008.

It's a bit like a new art gallery being built and people suddenly asking why we need a special place to store these paintings and does it mean the aliens are going to destroy Earth .....

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
How come there is only one? If something did happen and this place was destroyed, then what?

[edit on 18-9-2009 by liveandletlive]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

The Norway vault is a backup for hundreds of other vaults, each with their own smaller collections. Those vaults "rent" space in Norway to store their own seeds. If something happens to some of their own seeds, they can retrieve those stored in Norway.

[edit on 9/18/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Here in the UK we have the Millenium Seed Bank Project at Kew Gardens, in London.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hi Essan, I know you.

Life After Earth: Imagining Survival Beyond This Terra Firma

www.nytimes.com...

Far from the lunatic fringe, the leaders of the alliance have serious careers: Robert Shapiro, the group’s founder, is a professor emeritus and senior research scientist in biochemistry at New York University; Ray Erikson runs an aerospace development firm in Boston and has been a NASA committee chair; Steven M. Wolfe, as a Congressional aide, drafted and helped pass the Space Settlement Act of 1988, which mandated that NASA plan a shift from space exploration to space colonization, and was executive director of the Congressional Space Caucus; William E. Burrows, an author of several books on space, is the director of the Science, Health and Environmental Reporting Program at N.Y.U.

President Bush has already proposed a Moon base. “He just needs to be told what it’s good for,” Dr. Shapiro said. Dr. Shapiro has written a number of books on the origins of life on Earth, as well as “Planetary Dreams: The Quest to Discover Life Beyond Earth,” where he unveiled the civilization rescue project.

In 1999, the same year the book came out, Dr. Shapiro wrote an essay with Mr. Burrows for Ad Astra, an astronomy journal. There, they formally laid out their plan for the rescue alliance, beginning by warning that “the most enduring pictures to come back from the Apollo missions were not of astronauts cavorting on the Sea of Tranquillity, nor even of the lunar landscape itself.”

And who do you think will get to go?\

To the moon Alice.

Not us,

Leaders and scientist.

“But the A.R.C. idea isn’t ahead of its time because it’s needed right now. It’s a reasonable thing to do with our space technology, sending valuable stuff to a reliable off-site location. NASA is certainly not bending backwards to do it. It’s the private people like A.R.C.”

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

"The Svalbard Global Seed Vault, a backup to the world's 1,400 other seed banks, was being officially inaugurated in a ceremony Tuesday on the northern rim of civilization attended by about 150 guests from 33 countries".

Cant find much info on the other 1400. Anyone know where the others are located and are they all costructed in a similar fashion?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Because they know a world wide cataclysm is coming.

It will eliminate most of the worlds population and organized governments will cease to exist.

It is not nuclear war, ET invasion or some cosmic object hitting the planet.

The biggest threat to humanity is the earth it self.

The majority of the worlds population live on or near major active earthquake faults.

And volcanoes.

They are also located on the coasts of the continents.

Volcanoes are becoming increasingly more active.

Just this week 6 volcano's in Russia on the Kamchatka peninsula erupted....at the same time.

The whole "Ring of Fire' is blowing off steam.

The rift valley in Africa is coming apart faster than anticipated.

Hidden faults under Los Angeles are under strain causing water mains to burst.

The animals and insects know that something is coming.

The scientists of the world know it and the PTB know it.

When it happens those near the coasts will take the first brunt from the massive quakes and tidal waves.

They will be the lucky ones it will be fairly quick.

All the volcanoes will erupt ejecting ash in to the atmosphere.

This will go on for what seems forever.

Ash will cover everything and inter the atmosphere blocking the suns rays.

Others will die from the fires fed by the hurricane force winds and riots
from the disintegration of the governments.

Then the rains will come and flood lowered lands and hardening the ash.

And more will die.But some will survive.

Then more will die during the periods of darkness.

No crops will grow from lack of sun light.

Many will starve to death,but some will survive.

Hurricane force winds will be daily and continuous.

They will blow the exposed top soil in all directions covering the last remnants of human civilization.

Then some more will slowly die as unchecked diseases ravage them and the environment turns cold.

But some will survive.

The volcanoes will grow dormant and the earthquakes will subside and become less frequent.

Eventually the sky will clear,the winds will die down and temperatures will rise to normal levels.

And some will survive and multiply.

In many generations they will forget what had happened and through their ignorance do the same damn things that caused it all to happen again and again.

But through all of mans ignorance.........earth abides.

People who are aware, are telling their family and friends to move a way from the major cities and from the coast for a reason.

And those with money are buying big ranches in Paraguay.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

What I think is interesting is that this happened once before, if you know what I mean.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The short answer is to protect crop diversity. the long answer is best left to the person responsible for developing the seed bank in the first place. Please follow the link and watch the video.

www.ted.com...

[edit on 9/19/2009 by MagnumOverDrive]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by calcoastseeker

What I think is interesting is that this happened once before, if you know what I mean.

Setting all the movie hype about National Treasure aside.

There was originally a real hall of records planned hidden behind Mount Rushmore.

Hall of Records - Mount Rushmore

“Into this room the records of what our people aspired to and what they have accomplished should be collected and preserved, and on the walls of this room should be cut the literal records of the conception of our republic, its successful creation, the record of its westward movement to the Pacific, its presidents, how the memorial was built and, frankly. Why.” Gutzon Borglum.

Finally in 1998, the National Park System along with the Borglum family put the finishing touches on the Hall of Records. The room was not carved, but a titanium vault, housing a teakwood box was installed in the granite floor in the entrance way. The box contains sixteen porcelain enamel panels. On these panels are written the words of the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, a history of how and why Mount Rushmore was carved, a history of the four presidents with quotes from each, a biography on Gutzon Borglum, and the history of the United States. The capsule is sealed with a granite capstone. The inscription on the capstone comes from Gutzon Borglum’s speech at the 1930 dedication of the Washington figure.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
here's a good video about the vaults for those don't know

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join