It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allies abandon U.S. at climate confab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Western nations that spent the past several years slamming the Bush administration for not doing enough to deal with climate change were conspicuously absent from a recent global climate conference.

The Obama administration sent a large entourage to the third World Climate Conference in Geneva earlier this month, trumpeting the return of the United States to the climate change debate.

But representatives from Britain, Germany, France, Italy, Canada and Australia were nowhere to be found. The European Commission, the executive arm of the 27-member European Union, also failed to send a commissioner.

washingtontimes.com...

After years of finger-pointing ath the Clinton and Bush administrations for their refusal to submit American industry and consumers to the Kyoto Protocol, the EU turns their back when the Obama administration capitulates and agrees to discuss ouline for the Copenhagen conference.

Payback? Or, realization that the US is willing to sacrifice enocomic autonomy in favor of AGW agendas?

jw

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I think we are watching the end of the empire. Our global influence is declining remarkably fast. It isn't just this, there are plenty of other indicators out there as well. I just read a headline today that said that Europe has now surpassed North America in wealth. American wealth is declining faster than any other region in the world. www.forbes.com...

Anyways, I think people will be quick to blame Obama for this but these wheels have been in motion for a long time now. The only question is how will the US handle it? Will they fade away or do something drastic to retain their power and influence?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

The only question is how will the US handle it? Will they fade away or do something drastic to retain their power and influence?

The most recent and most optimistic estimates are for our GDP to grow at 2% next year.

That ignores the effects of "cap & trade," the healthcare reform, and the new manufacturing regulations for automakers.

Elsewhere, China will see 9+% growth, Brazil 8%, India 7% and Russia 5%.

We have given up the fight. You are right about the decline of American influence.

jw

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I don't think the fight is over just yet. Lots of things are in play right now. I think there is still plenty of time for the lunatics in charge to do something drastic that would "level the field" and reinstate the US as a world power. I mean, this is a conspiracy site right?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Perhaps this is an opportunity for us to step away from "globalization" of formerly domestic policies.

You would think that the PTB would want a strong US to take up the slack for European decline. Some people still think BRIC is the place to go for money and influence on the world stage.

Even though the EU didn't come to our aid at the pre-Copenhagen conference, it seems we pissed them off with our "attitude:"

"US planning to weaken Copenhagen climate deal, Europe warns"

Europe has clashed with the US Obama administration over climate change in a potentially damaging split that comes ahead of crucial political negotiations on a new global deal to regulate greenhouse gas emissions.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Maybe the "silent majority" will rise up again and fight.

jw

[edit on 16-9-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I don't think the fight is over just yet.

Apparently, the fight has just begun.

US-EU rift clouds climate summit

A growing rift between the US and Europe is overshadowing Tuesday’s United Nations climate change summit in New York, further damping hopes for a breakthrough at the Copenhagen talks in December.

In Brussels, European Union officials have grown increasingly frustrated at the US stance, saying it has fallen short on both its level of ambition to reduce emissions and on offering aid to developing nations.

www.ft.com...

We're on our own. More unilateral concessions?

jw

[edit on 21-9-2009 by jdub297]

new topics

top topics

join